The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Economics Unit 12 3rd June 2013

I could not find any threads relating to the GCSE Economics Unit 12 on 3rd June 2013. So hopefully this could be a new thread for revision! :smile:

Does anyone know any likely topics to come up for this year's paper?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the welfare state or the euro may come up as they havnt come up before but tbh a lot of things could still come up because this is only the second year for it isnt it?
Reply 2
Am pretty these topics will come up:biggrin:
-Globalisation
-Multinationals
-Free trade
-Single currency
-Exchange rates

btw this exam is worth 50% so good luck to anyone doing this exam!!!
Reply 3
which industry do u guys think will come for dominant firms
Reply 4
Original post by beastblue
which industry do u guys think will come for dominant firms

i actually have a feeling the broadcasting industry may come up because of the new bt sport stuff and everything- so a question could be like is it beneficial to have another firm entering the industry
Reply 5
Hey people does anyone know what is the effect of climate change on different societies and
what is the difference between carbon trading and pollution permits
The main cause of climate change is Greenhouse gases. Greenhouse gases affects country's differently, for example, in Africa they could face water shortages, this leads to less crops produced therefore importing more food or rely on international aid. Another example is Europe, global warming could increase the risk of flooding, resulting in crop output reduction due to flooding which could lead to a decrease of jobs...

A pollution permit is the right for country's to pollute a certain amount each year. If firms don't meet under there permit they can sell on their permit to other countries and make money. Creating an incentive for firms to cut pollution so they can make more money. However a problem for pollution permits is they hard to measure, the government might be to strict or generous. Also the rich countries (America) could buy permits off other countries which defeats the object of the permit as it isn't a splash in the water so to speak.

Hope this helped.
Reply 7
Does anyone know where I can find questions (preferably with a mark scheme) to do with either monetary, fiscal or supply side policies?

My teacher really thinks that a question on policies will definitely come up
I don't sorry, have you checked out the specification for the exam?

Candidates should be aware of how the government can affect levels of income and
expenditure through fiscal policies.

Candidates should be familiar with the role of the
Bank of England in controlling the level of demand.
Candidates should be aware of the use of interest
rates to control inflation.

Candidates should be familiar with supply side
policies such as: education and training, incentives
to work and competition policy

I don't think their will be more than a 6 marker on it if we need to familiarize with the policies. As long as you know the idea of the policies and can relate to the context then it should be no problem. I'm not doing more than familiarizing.

Source: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-4130-W-SP.PDF page 59.
Reply 9
For 14 mark questions where there are 3 options, are you supposed to discuss all 3 of them or 2 in detail? It never says on the mark scheme
Reply 10
Think you should analyse all 3
Reply 11
Can someone please help me with essay structure for 12/14 marks? I know that there isn't one definite structure but what do you use? My teacher doesn't help us much with this. :s-smilie:
Reply 12
Think you should analyse all 3

Does that include giving why the option should AND should not be used, or just why it should be and the why it shouldn't saved until the evaluation?
Reply 13
Also it says on the spec that there are two Current Economic Issue topics that are coming up and that the centres are pre-informed of this. Am I right in saying that this year it is Dominant Firms and Environmental Issues?
Reply 14
Original post by Rogue Tail
Does that include giving why the option should AND should not be used, or just why it should be and the why it shouldn't saved until the evaluation?

Include both for and against but repeat the most significant arguments to justify for/against for that option in the evaluation at the end
Reply 15
Original post by rish1603
Can someone please help me with essay structure for 12/14 marks? I know that there isn't one definite structure but what do you use? My teacher doesn't help us much with this. :s-smilie:

Intro - key terms that relate to question with definitions. This is normally worth about 2 marks
Main body - For and against for the option. If 3 choices are given than each para is pro/con for each one but if only talking about 1 then pro is one para and con is another. Analysis is done with ur points on the basis of strengths and weakness
Conclusion - This the main evaluation worth 6 marks. You should be looking at the option(s) and putting forward the strongest argument from those. It is also good to say why other arguments are not so valid. Justification can be done with Balance, Equality, Efficiency, Sustainability, However, Assumption, Time, Costs and Opportunity Costs, Objector, Depends on
​BEES HATE COD
Reply 16
Does anyone have any example 14/12 mark responses that would earn top marks?
Reply 17
what are some pros and cons for government intervention?
Intro - key terms that relate to question with definitions. This is normally worth about 2 marks
Main body - For and against for the option. If 3 choices are given than each para is pro/con for each one but if only talking about 1 then pro is one para and con is another. Analysis is done with ur points on the basis of strengths and weakness
Conclusion - This the main evaluation worth 6 marks. You should be looking at the option(s) and putting forward the strongest argument from those. It is also good to say why other arguments are not so valid. Justification can be done with Balance, Equality, Efficiency, Sustainability, However, Assumption, Time, Costs and Opportunity Costs, Objector, Depends on
​BEES HATE COD

Do you need an intro? I was told to just skip to the main body
Reply 19
Original post by cheng.shiyang
Do you need an intro? I was told to just skip to the main body

The intro consists of the definition. But if no definition is required then I don't think there is a need for an intro.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending