The Student Room Group

Did white people evolve to camouflage in the snow?

I have a new theory about white folks. And that is that we turned white in the Ice Age for the same reason that Polar Bears turned white and that is to camouflage in the snow. If you think about it, all other white animals such as a snow leopard or a snow fox are white for this reason.

If you think about it, when you are trying to sneak up on a Woolly Mammoth you will stand out more in the snow if you are dark like a Brown Bear.

Also, why did Scandinavians evolve blonde hair and blue eyes? Well think about it, when they are sneaking about in the snow with their Polar Bear jackets on with the hood up and only their face visible, the Polar Bear would see two dark eyes and a black fringe in the white snow, so they evolved light eyes and light blonde hair to camouflage themselves.

I know there is also the thing about absorbing vitamin D and sexual selection of blondes but I think that is a red herring.

I think if the Ice Age continued then hair would have evolved lighter and whiter and we would become as pale as ginger people. But now that the Ice Age is over and the planet is getting hotter we no longer need to hide in the snow so the blonde hair will die out.

I think that is why in cold countries people think blondes are hot because subconsciously we are thinking they would produce children who are good at hiding in the snow. Whilst in hot countries like Brazil blondes are not so desired because there is no snow.

The survival of the fittest would go like this: A woman has two children, one dark skinned and one light skinned. In the Ice Age the dark skinned child would starve because the woolly mammoths would spot him in the snow so only the light skinned child would survive and reproduce.

The only problem with my theory is that in the Ice Age we didn't all run around naked. But still some of your face and eyes would be visible to the mammoths.

Thanks for listening. :smile:
I think it's far more about getting the D.

:ahee:
Reply 2
sometimes when it snows I lay in the snow naked and nobody notices
Reminded me so much of this.
I just love the idea of 'sneaking up' on a mammoth :teehee:
Reply 5
No, it is most likely that white people evolved when our ancestors [probably had much darker skin] migrated out of very sunny climates into cooler ones - we then needed less melanin to block out the sunlight which is needed in the body for Vitamin D production, so less melanin meant lighter skin because lots of melanin is what gives dark skinned people their colour.
Reply 6
Original post by noobynoo

The survival of the fittest would go like this: A woman has two children, one dark skinned and one light skinned. In the Ice Age the dark skinned child would starve because the woolly mammoths would spot him in the snow so only the light skinned child would survive and reproduce.

I hadn't realised that wooly mammoths were predators or even ate meat let alone a child :rolleyes:
Reply 7
I want mammoth shoes :gah:
Original post by noobynoo
I have a new theory about white folks. And that is that we turned white in the Ice Age for the same reason that Polar Bears turned white and that is to camouflage in the snow. If you think about it, all other white animals such as a snow leopard or a snow fox are white for this reason.

If you think about it, when you are trying to sneak up on a Woolly Mammoth you will stand out more in the snow if you are dark like a Brown Bear.

Also, why did Scandinavians evolve blonde hair and blue eyes? Well think about it, when they are sneaking about in the snow with their Polar Bear jackets on with the hood up and only their face visible, the Polar Bear would see two dark eyes and a black fringe in the white snow, so they evolved light eyes and light blonde hair to camouflage themselves.

I know there is also the thing about absorbing vitamin D and sexual selection of blondes but I think that is a red herring.

I think if the Ice Age continued then hair would have evolved lighter and whiter and we would become as pale as ginger people. But now that the Ice Age is over and the planet is getting hotter we no longer need to hide in the snow so the blonde hair will die out.

I think that is why in cold countries people think blondes are hot because subconsciously we are thinking they would produce children who are good at hiding in the snow. Whilst in hot countries like Brazil blondes are not so desired because there is no snow.

The only problem with my theory is that in the Ice Age we didn't all run around naked. But still some of your face and eyes would be visible to the mammoths.

Thanks for listening. :smile:

Never heard a more stupid question.
No, people have dark skin because they, or their ancestors lived in places which are very hot- it limits damage to their skin from the Sun. Whiter skin allows your body to absorb the more scarce sunlight (UV mainly) which your body needs to produce Vitamin D.
(edited 10 years ago)
What about Eskimos? They're not white...
Reply 11
Original post by Croydon'Stepper

Well they ain't black that's for sure.
Reply 12
Original post by Croydon'Stepper

Eskimos eat a lot of fish and other sea creatures- which are rich in vit D, so they do not need to "get whiter"- unless of course they would decide that they would farm plants (good luck with that there) instead of hunting- than within few generations they would be no longer dark.
Wait, so if an African eats a **** load of fish? Shieeeeet.
Reply 14
Well I don't think many people white people can walk around naked in the snow.
Original post by 2ndClass
Well I don't think many people white people can walk around naked in the snow.

Yeah but many white people end up turning red in the snow and then people will think they are a hominoid lobster.
I doubt it. Some East Asian Orientals are pretty much white themselves.

I've often wondered by Black people have white hand palms & feet palms. Or Why they're black and have rough, cotton hairlike texture..whilst Chinese people for instance have very straight hair.

Maybe some of us came from different planets. But I do know that Black people do not have the Neanderthal gene.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Zero Nowhere
Yeah but many white people end up turning red in the snow and then people will think they are a hominoid lobster.

LOL
Reply 18
I'm following this thread just to see all the humourless people get nerd rage and start going off on one about melanin absorption...

Quick Reply

Latest