The Student Room Group

Sociology?

I'm currently studying AS: Business, IT, IFS Finance and Geography. However because of the difficulty I have had with IT this year I have decided to drop it.
I am debating whether to pick up AS Sociology next year while I carry on with my other A2 subjects. However I don't want to be in the same position, like I am with IT because I found it difficult. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they have struggled with the subject.
I do sociology with AQA and as long as you're willing to sit and learn a fairly large amount of information you'll be absolutely fine. I'm not saying its easy because you have to remember a lot and obviously need to write a coherent essay but definitely not what I'd consider 'difficult'.
Reply 2
Original post by lauraaaaa
I do sociology with AQA and as long as you're willing to sit and learn a fairly large amount of information you'll be absolutely fine. I'm not saying its easy because you have to remember a lot and obviously need to write a coherent essay but definitely not what I'd consider 'difficult'.

Thank you very much for your help. It's the only subject I thought, I would be interested in that our sixth form have to offer. What other subjects do you take along side sociology? If you don't mind me asking.
Reply 3
yolo
Reply 4
Having just completed A2 Sociology, I can tell you that it is content heavy with plenty of theories and studies to remember, but the concepts are not difficult to grasp. I picked up AS in Year 13, and it was the least difficult subject of them all, it just had the most work if that makes sense?
Original post by miss.ce.0x
Having just completed A2 Sociology, I can tell you that it is content heavy with plenty of theories and studies to remember, but the concepts are not difficult to grasp. I picked up AS in Year 13, and it was the least difficult subject of them all, it just had the most work if that makes sense?

Basically, it is a subject with a book of common sense of 200 pages, which could be easily summarised into 50 and you're expected to throw in a few theorists and write a two-three sided essay.
Original post by charl95
Thank you very much for your help. It's the only subject I thought, I would be interested in that our sixth form have to offer. What other subjects do you take along side sociology? If you don't mind me asking.

I also do psychology, biology and geography. I personally find it interesting, particularly the unit of A2 were doing now on crime and deviance! A lot of theories/concepts run right through the course which is why it's not difficult :smile:
Reply 7
The AS is relatively easy and pretty interesting too. I'd go with sociology if I were you. The first exam if the unit is family will be the easiest you could wish for :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by und3niable_
Basically, it is a subject with a book of common sense of 200 pages, which could be easily summarised into 50 and you're expected to throw in a few theorists and write a two-three sided essay.

I never bought the books because of this reason. They just waffled on, and yes, most of it is common sense, but it is still content-heavy in regards to theory to studies. Not a difficult subject at all, but you need to be good at articulating yourself.
Reply 9
Thanks for all your help everyone. It seems that Sociology is the best option for me. I spoke to one of the teachers and she said it would be good fit for me if am wanting, to do human geography at uni.
Although I know a few of my friends took AS psychology this year and are really struggling. Psychology looks at more of the scientific side I'm guessing. But would anyone say that this is more of a difficult subject compared to sociology?
And also what were the kind of modules you did in your AS?
Original post by miss.ce.0x
I never bought the books because of this reason. They just waffled on, and yes, most of it is common sense, but it is still content-heavy in regards to theory to studies. Not a difficult subject at all, but you need to be good at articulating yourself.

The books all say different things, ha. And I'm not sure :smile:
Original post by charl95
Thanks for all your help everyone. It seems that Sociology is the best option for me. I spoke to one of the teachers and she said it would be good fit for me if am wanting, to do human geography at uni.
Although I know a few of my friends took AS psychology this year and are really struggling. Psychology looks at more of the scientific side I'm guessing. But would anyone say that this is more of a difficult subject compared to sociology?

Culture and identity then Education with research methods were my units but there are a few for each and your school decides which one to teach so you should ask them which ones you will be doing :smile:
Yeah its a no brainer, sociology is easy.
Reply 13
Original post by charl95

Posted from TSR Mobile

I teach sociology and psychology...there is very little 'science' in A level psychology. ....as for sociology being 'common sense', it's not....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending