The Student Room Group

Choosing sociology or changing to fashion business/ media communications?

I am an international student who studied Sociology Yr1 in Uni and I am going to apply to 2024 UCAS Yr 2 as a transfer student . I am in gap year now and I found fashion business seems interesting and fancy but I heard that fashion is a quite competitive industry. So, is it really hard to find jobs in fashion industry in the UK / Manchester( I live in Manchester)? I am considering continue to study sociology or choosing fashion business/ media and communications. It is a really important decision because it is a bit unaffordable for my family to support the tuition fee so I cannot change my major or repeat after I back to campus.

As far as I known, entering fashion industry to become a buyer/ PR/ HR/ marketing manager doesn't require a specific degree, which can be traditional degree e.g sociology,business management ,media communications apart from fashion degree. Media communications degree is the common prioritised choice for recruiter apart from fashion degree. But I think sociology is theoretical and it usually makes simpple things become complicated, not as pratical as business or media. My assignment grades for Yr 1 sociology are just fair, the average marks are only fifty something ( maybe because I didn't get used to it in the beginning, but I improved a lot in the second semester because I can at least submit the assignments in the 2nd sem compared to non-submission in the 1st sem). Therefore,at the end of Yr 1, I can finally get used to it and think Sociology is okay for me , at least I don't hate it and there are some modules and topics seem interesting to me. Also, Sociology should be the subject that is easier for me to transfer credits. However, I am not confident in my performance when I study Yr2 or Yr 3 Sociology in the future. Although I spent a lot of effort and time on doing the essays, most of the grades are just fair (around second hon lower).

For fashion business/ media communications, these are the subjects that I have never studied before so I don't know whether I can perform well in these subjects even though they are practical and should be easier to understand. Another important thing is I can write my favourite topic fashion as my dissertation topci for these subjects. But I am a bit afraid that suddenly changing to a subject that I have never studied before will make me cannot handle it when I study it in the future or lowering the possiblity of admission team to accept my application as I just have sociology background. I am worried about the worst scenario --- my fashion business/ media comminications application will get all rejected at the end. But I am really interested in fashion knowledge and fashion career right now. From what I seen so far, fashion business seems more interesting than sociology and I am passionate with it . I am just interested in some parts of sociology. But at the same time, I am also not so confident in fashion industry as the competitiveness is strong and I am not living in London( more opportunities in London). Therefore,to conclude, my ideal and favourite subject is fashion business, but the more rational choice( seems) is sociology. And I don't know how to decide which one is the best chocie for my situation now and what is the most important factor I need to consider.

Thank you all for reading this long paragrpahs. I know these contain a bunch of complicated information so hope you guys don't mind :smile:)
Original post by Ruby12hty
I am an international student who studied Sociology Yr1 in Uni and I am going to apply to 2024 UCAS Yr 2 as a transfer student . I am in gap year now and I found fashion business seems interesting and fancy but I heard that fashion is a quite competitive industry. So, is it really hard to find jobs in fashion industry in the UK / Manchester( I live in Manchester)? I am considering continue to study sociology or choosing fashion business/ media and communications. It is a really important decision because it is a bit unaffordable for my family to support the tuition fee so I cannot change my major or repeat after I back to campus.

As far as I known, entering fashion industry to become a buyer/ PR/ HR/ marketing manager doesn't require a specific degree, which can be traditional degree e.g sociology,business management ,media communications apart from fashion degree. Media communications degree is the common prioritised choice for recruiter apart from fashion degree. But I think sociology is theoretical and it usually makes simpple things become complicated, not as pratical as business or media. My assignment grades for Yr 1 sociology are just fair, the average marks are only fifty something ( maybe because I didn't get used to it in the beginning, but I improved a lot in the second semester because I can at least submit the assignments in the 2nd sem compared to non-submission in the 1st sem). Therefore,at the end of Yr 1, I can finally get used to it and think Sociology is okay for me , at least I don't hate it and there are some modules and topics seem interesting to me. Also, Sociology should be the subject that is easier for me to transfer credits. However, I am not confident in my performance when I study Yr2 or Yr 3 Sociology in the future. Although I spent a lot of effort and time on doing the essays, most of the grades are just fair (around second hon lower).

For fashion business/ media communications, these are the subjects that I have never studied before so I don't know whether I can perform well in these subjects even though they are practical and should be easier to understand. Another important thing is I can write my favourite topic fashion as my dissertation topci for these subjects. But I am a bit afraid that suddenly changing to a subject that I have never studied before will make me cannot handle it when I study it in the future or lowering the possiblity of admission team to accept my application as I just have sociology background. I am worried about the worst scenario --- my fashion business/ media comminications application will get all rejected at the end. But I am really interested in fashion knowledge and fashion career right now. From what I seen so far, fashion business seems more interesting than sociology and I am passionate with it . I am just interested in some parts of sociology. But at the same time, I am also not so confident in fashion industry as the competitiveness is strong and I am not living in London( more opportunities in London). Therefore,to conclude, my ideal and favourite subject is fashion business, but the more rational choice( seems) is sociology. And I don't know how to decide which one is the best chocie for my situation now and what is the most important factor I need to consider.

Thank you all for reading this long paragrpahs. I know these contain a bunch of complicated information so hope you guys don't mind :smile:)

Hiya :hi:
I am not sure but I've moved your thread into applications, clearing and ucas so you might get a few more relevant responses :yy:

Have you chatted with friends/family and/or teachers? They may be a good listening board for you :smile:

Best wishes + :bump:
Cheese

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending