The Student Room Group

CCD (or CCE) taking gap year and resits

I think I did **** in my A levels, and think I am goign to get CCD or maybe even CCE when results come out, so am taking a gap year and resitting, but don;t know if unis will accept me, I am scared, especaily l because I want to apply to biomedical science (so ABB and AAB requirements), which I am sure I can get in my gap year after resits, but I feel like unis won;t accept me, as I will already got my grades, just resitting. I want to aplply queen mary, leeds, brighton, kent, brunel and kingston and maybe southampton. Any advice pleaseee. In my gap year, should I tell my form tutor to write my reference and predict my grades, will the unis then only look at my predicted grades or will they look at what I actually achieved. Because I will be reistting as an external candidate.lease can someone provide me with all the details possible as to what I should do. I am definitely taking a gap year and resitting, and definitely applying to uni next year, no doubt in that, just so unsure, on predicted grades, UCAS, will unis accept me, and all of that stuff??????
Reply 1
Anyone??
Reply 2
I'm in a similar boat... I'll probably be getting the same results as you in August, although I don't need such high grades for my university course. It really depends as to what universities you apply to as to whether or not they'll accept you, although if they look at just your A levels then it might not be very promising.

The main things to consider would be
1) are you 100% sure you want to do bio med at uni? If you're struggling to get the grades now then maybe that course just isn't for you and you'll find it too intense.
2) have you spoken to your form tutor about this? And have you checked UCAS to see whether you can enter only predicted grades if you already have a set of A levels?

The most important thing though is not to panic... You have a whole year to think things through, get advice from lots of sources, and make a final decision on what you want to do. If you're really set on your degree choice and you're dedicated to ensure you get the grades you need, then keep trying and I'm sure you'll succeed.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 3
Check with the Uni's that they wont reject you or penalise you (make a higher offer than standard) for taking a third year to do A-Levels. Most have an Admissions policy somewhere on their website which has it in, if not, contact them.

For example:
UCL (or one of the top Uni's, I can't remember which one) will raise your offer by 1 grade due to the extra year to do A-Levels.
Leeds' admission policy states that they welcome students who took a gap year/third year, but encourage you to write about why you took the extra year in your PS.

The UCAS application process is sketchy when it comes to inputting grades in a situation like yours, I just in-putted each subject twice, one with grade attained and the other predicted and when it will be certificated (August 2014 in your case).

One last thing (this is my advice):
I cannot sugar coat this, if you do miss your offer and are in clearing, its going to suck, but if you are really set on going to study BioMed at a particular uni then DO NOT settle for second best and DO NOT give up.
A year is a long time, but if you fill it with stuff YOU want to do and stuff that WILL benefit you, it will actually turn out to be an awesome year!
The fact is, no one is going to care on Freshers if you're a year older, you all have the same interests etc.
Reply 4
Thanks guys, but I really do want to study biomed at uni, and dont want to take another year out, so if I have to get into clearing, then I will, And I am sure if I work really hard I can get all A's in my subjects in the end.
Reply 5
Original post by Aynesie
I'm in a similar boat... I'll probably be getting the same results as you in August, although I don't need such high grades for my university course. It really depends as to what universities you apply to as to whether or not they'll accept you, although if they look at just your A levels then it might not be very promising.

The main things to consider would be
1) are you 100% sure you want to do bio med at uni? If you're struggling to get the grades now then maybe that course just isn't for you and you'll find it too intense.
2) have you spoken to your form tutor about this? And have you checked UCAS to see whether you can enter only predicted grades if you already have a set of A levels?

The most important thing though is not to panic... You have a whole year to think things through, get advice from lots of sources, and make a final decision on what you want to do. If you're really set on your degree choice and you're dedicated to ensure you get the grades you need, then keep trying and I'm sure you'll succeed.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Yes, because I am resitting, so there should be predicted grades, and I am very sure I want to do biomed next year, and I am also very sure I can get ABB when doing resits. Just am not sure whether universities will accept this.
Reply 6
Anyone else, any other advice??
Reply 7
Original post by ninah1995162
Anyone else, any other advice??

Yeah I'm also stuck in the same situation. I got CCCD in AS this year and I'm looking for unis in London that want BBB or lower... I don't know if I should take a gap year after A2... Any advise please??:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest