The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bethp1994
I have found out i am only entitled to the minimum student loan of 3,500 or whatever it is.

I'm guessing this is supposed to cover accommodation costs right?

How are we supposed to survive on this???

My accommodation is around £90 per week and I have worked out that my loan for the year would give me around £100 per week.

So basically I am left with a tenner...

Am i the only one stressing about this??

It's assumed, rightly or wrongly, that if your parents earn above the threshold they can continue to help support you whilst you're at uni. Also, most students work at least during the holidays and plenty do during term time.
Reply 2
Scotland do it right, they have a non-means tested Student Loan. Therefore each Student gets £4,500 regardless of parents income. I wanna be Scottish! :biggrin:
Reply 3
But as an adult, surely we can't be expecting our parents to provide for us. The whole point of moving out is to be independent.

And I find it would be quite difficult to maintain a job as my course is 50% placement.

Also as I am moving quite far away from home, if I got a job I'd never be able to go home. Because you can't exactly say to your employer 'I'm going home for christmas for three weeks now so I need 3 weeks holiday'

And same again at Easter.
Lots of students struggle with this, I'm afraid. If your loan is means tested and your parents income is above the maximum amount which will allow you to get a higher loan/grant, then it is expected that your parents will make up the deficit. I think this is utterly wrong as many people's parents - mine included - can't afford to send me anything more than a food parcel every once in a while. Income shouldn't matter when it's the student footing the university bill. Anyway, that's how it is... I think your best option is to try to find cheaper accommodation or to work your socks off over the summer and during term-time.
Reply 5
In my third year I did it on £50 a week.
£25 in the petrol tank.
£20 in Tesco
£5 on Friday for a beer.

Make use of the hardship funds. All you need is 3 months worth of clean bank statements - i.e no large amounts of cash going through it. For example, if they see you've just spent 5 grand on a car they'll tell you to sod off. Any transaction over £100 needs explaining what it was for.
All you need to qualify is to have your account into your overdraft.
You need to submit 3 months of bank statements and fill out a form and a big cheque will drop through the door. Easy.
(edited 10 years ago)
But as an adult, surely we can't be expecting our parents to provide for us. The whole point of moving out is to be independent.

And I find it would be quite difficult to maintain a job as my course is 50% placement.

Also as I am moving quite far away from home, if I got a job I'd never be able to go home. Because you can't exactly say to your employer 'I'm going home for christmas for three weeks now so I need 3 weeks holiday'

That's also a problem. Fortunately there are often lots of term-time only jobs, particularly within the university itself. Alternatively, if you currently have a part-time job, then ask your employer if you can stay on the books as it were so you can work during the holidays. When you're at university, try and get a job when you're employed as part of the bank of staff - meaning that you have no set shift. Finally you could try finding a job which moves with you - e.g. something online.

Original post by JC.
In my third year I did it on £50 a week.
£25 in the petrol tank.
£20 in Tesco
£5 on Friday for a beer.

Make use of the hardship funds. All you need is 3 months worth of clean bank statements - i.e no large amounts of cash going through it. For example, if they see you've just spent 5 grand on a car they'll tell you to sod off. Any transaction over £100 needs explaining what it was for.
All you need to do is submit 3 months of bank statements and fill out a form and a big cheque will drop through the door.

£50 per week is a pretty good sum!
Reply 7

Depending on your employer, they can be quite flexible when term time ends. You could always get a transfer to a more local store for a few weeks (it's what a few of my flatmates did). I do agree with you though that £3575 is just too low to cover the most basic needs.
Reply 8
yeah thanks for your advice. I'm hoping my current employer likes me enough to let me keep my job for when I come home in the holidays.

I know i'd be quite good at budgeting for food and my parents probably would help me out with the necessities if they knew i was struggling. Its just going for nights out i'm worried about because my mum would definitely not help out with that haha

but i suppose there's loads of people in the same boat anyway, would hate to be left behind if all my flat mates can afford to go out all the time and I couldn't.
Reply 9

Yeah, but then should the government provide for us instead?

As people have suggested if you get a job at the uni, bar work at the Union for example, then it's usually term time only.

So long as you've not stretched for accommodation your flatmates should have similar amounts of money to you, there may be the odd person with a 30k a year trust fund or something ridiculous (my housemate genuinely has this) but most people will be in the same financial boat if you're in halls.
Reply 10
yeah thanks for your advice. I'm hoping my current employer likes me enough to let me keep my job for when I come home in the holidays.

I know i'd be quite good at budgeting for food and my parents probably would help me out with the necessities if they knew i was struggling. Its just going for nights out i'm worried about because my mum would definitely not help out with that haha

but i suppose there's loads of people in the same boat anyway, would hate to be left behind if all my flat mates can afford to go out all the time and I couldn't.

I know how you're feeling in terms of nights out... it can be quite expensive. I was spending £30-£40 a night for the first few months of university and going out 3 times a week... it was very expensive.
If you're going to a uni outside London, you can still have a great night for about £20. Tickets will be no more than £5 and a taxi share should be under £5 both ways. That leaves you £10 for drinks in the club. Remember to have a look at the drinks offers too to make your money stretch even further. £1-£1.50 jagerbombs are not uncommon, even though they are rancid, they will get you drunk.
Oh and the best tip I can give is to pre-drink enough. Make sure you're pretty drunk before you arrive so you won't have to spend as much in the club. For union nights, you can do a night out on £15 since you won't need to taxi share.
Reply 11
the only frustrating thing is, my friend goes to leeds uni (we both live in leeds) yet she lives in student accommodation.

Her parents are a £1 bus journey away, so she goes home pretty much every weekend, gets free food, and clothes washed for free, and they are close enough to be able to give her a tenner here and there for the weekend.

But on top of that she is entitled to 5,500 student loan.

She doesn't even need to have a job even though she could easily get one because she is living in the same city as her parents.

I just think its silly really, they should look at all the facts. Some parents are not willing to give anyyy money whatsoever.

but anyway rant over

cheap vodka is the best to pre drink and i shall stock up big time before i go. jaga bombs really are nasty but cheap and strong. Looking forward to being a poor student!
Reply 12
It can be a pain in the butt, yeah, but worrying about not going out with your flat mates is a bit of a poor excuse to want more money. The government are paying your tuition fees and covering your accom costs so thst you can have higher education. They cant be expected to pay for nights out. Thats what jobs are for. Working a saturday shift somewhere will make you enough to live on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's the way it is with student finance. Am only get basic maintenance loan myself. Am just in a reasonable luck position that I been working full time. Living at home, pay small amount of rent too them. I been saving since October. By time I get to uni I have saved about seven grand on top of the three I already had saved. It means I can afford the nicer accommodation but it won't last. With the cost I got to pay including keeping my car running, rent,food, extras, mobile phone, car parking permit, Christmas/birthdays, sports outside of uni, fuel. It all adds up. My parents won't be giving me anything as they supported me in the past and I don't expect them too. Even through I will have enough to be comfortable and spare cash I may work first year or at least found some odd temporary work. Just to give me that extra. I rather pay my way then live of a loan from someone else. As at least I earned it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Rascacielos
That's also a problem. Fortunately there are often lots of term-time only jobs, particularly within the university itself. Alternatively, if you currently have a part-time job, then ask your employer if you can stay on the books as it were so you can work during the holidays. When you're at university, try and get a job when you're employed as part of the bank of staff - meaning that you have no set shift. Finally you could try finding a job which moves with you - e.g. something online.

£50 per week is a pretty good sum!

It could have been done on £25, really...
I just decided I was taking 2 cars to uni. :cool:
Reply 15
I have found out i am only entitled to the minimum student loan of 3,500 or whatever it is.

I'm guessing this is supposed to cover accommodation costs right?

How are we supposed to survive on this???

My accommodation is around £90 per week and I have worked out that my loan for the year would give me around £100 per week.

So basically I am left with a tenner...

Am i the only one stressing about this??

Nope! I'm in exactly the same boat! Except my accommodation is £106 a week, which was one of the cheaper halls! & both my sisters will be at university at the same time as me because of gap years etc so no way can my parents help us all out. Basically I am screwed. :frown:

My degree doesn't have a placemeet so unlike you I can get a part time job :smile: I really need to work out a rough budget though, not what sort of things I need to factor into it though, accommodation, food, nights out...? Help please! :s-smilie::biggrin:
Accommodation, food, nights out, travel, mobile phone, laundry, tv licence

That's the main ones, I budget for everything in mine. Which is accommodation, food, extras(nights out/takeaways), car stuff, fuel, mobile phone, tv licence, car parking permit, laundry, Christmas/birthdays, my cineworld unlimited card, sports outside of uni, books.Some of my bits are luxury and could be cut out. Such as cineworld card. But thing is it allows me to go to as many films I want for £15.90. I got to cinema quite a bit and just happen to have a cineworld just down road from uni. Means I don't need too use my extras budget when I go to cinema. I tried to make a reasonable budget for each thing. With extra money in some places such as my car budget is higher than I will need. But also try and keep some cash back if you can. In case you get an unexpected cost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How longs your contract for your accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lozzielizzie
Accommodation, food, nights out, travel, mobile phone, laundry, tv licence

You don't need a TV licence. I think I watched BBC a few times whilst at uni and just watched it on iplayer an hour later or so.

Nights out are a luxury. Depending on where you live, you could walk most places.
Yeah you do, watching stuff on I player is fine after it's been shown. But anything live you watch still needs a tv licence. Whether that's on a tv or online. I watch tv so will be getting a licence. I know nights out are luxury. I doubt I will be doing that much. But I still have an extras budget £20 a week. If I want a night out/meal out/takeaway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending