The Student Room Group

When can I expect to receive the minimum maintenance loan?

I'm a week away from starting my course and still haven't received my loan, let alone the minimum amount they mentioned giving so I could at least start attending my course without financial issues.

I made my application on 25th July so worked out that 8 weeks later I'd expect the loan to go through (18th Sept).

Then on 29th Aug SFE cancelled my application and asked me to apply as a 'new student' since this will be the first time I start at this particular uni. So I've done so and I've been trying to move out since mid August but cannot because eat letting needs a vast sum of money I can't rely on the bank of mum & dad for - an amount my savings pale in comparison to.

I have no guarantor, I have no one to co-sign who could help me use 'helping hand' the 3rd party guarantor service. I suspect I could use 'Your Guarantor' but I've yet to follow through with them considering I cannot commit to a letting before receiving my maintenance loan.

Working 2 part-time jobs (one of which claims to be full-time) 5-6 days a week isn't helping. Ignore the rant, does anyone know when can I expect to receive the minimum maintenance loan?
Hi there!

You should receive your maintenance loan on the first day of term- if you have submitted your new application late, this date may be pushed back. I would recommend contacting Student Finance England if you're worried about paying your lettings agent.

If you are struggling financially, I would also recommend contacting your university's finance team. Most universities will have some version of a student support fund that you may be able to access, and they will also have a financial advice service that can give you guidance about moving out.

I wish you all the best for the future!

-Ella

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending