The Student Room Group

A2 further maths

my college wants us to do S1, D2, FP3 for A2 further maths. but as far as im aware, you cant get an A* if you do S1 for A2, am i wrong? i did really well in AS and i am aiming for an A* in A2. which modules should i do?:confused:
Reply 1
Well what did you do for AS? Because those six modules (apart from FP1 which has to be AS) will be shuffled to maximise your A2 grade.
Reply 2
Original post by Boss's
my college wants us to do S1, D2, FP3 for A2 further maths. but as far as im aware, you cant get an A* if you do S1 for A2, am i wrong? i did really well in AS and i am aiming for an A* in A2. which modules should i do?:confused:

You must've done FP1 and 2 other Applied Modules. D1 may have been 1. M1 could've have been one. But, you probably are doing Normal Maths so either of these would go to that, leaving one other applied module which you must have done - M2. If so, then that is your 3rd A2 Module. Or, you may have done FP2?
Reply 3
For AS I did FP1 FP2 D1,
So will the fp2, fp3 and d2 grades count towards my A2? Or is it fp2/fp3 and then another unit I scored high in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Just get 90+ in D2 and FP3 and you should be looking at an A*. I think this is very stupid of your school. I did FP1, D1 and S2 for AS and should be doing M2, M3 and FP2. So there's less pressure on me in getting 90+ in all 3 as I'm positive I've got 90+ in S2.
Reply 5
It's the best 3 of any module that's not X1 - so D2, FP2, FP3 for you. If you did a fourth A2 module (eg S2) then it would be the best of those that counts. So you don't get a chance to mess up on one of those exams :P
Reply 6
Original post by Atheism
It's the best 3 of any module that's not X1 - so D2, FP2, FP3 for you. If you did a fourth A2 module (eg S2) then it would be the best of those that counts. So you don't get a chance to mess up on one of those exams :P

Could my M2 grade contribute to my further maths grade? I'm gonna do M2 next year for normal maths. If it does, then would S1 count for normal maths (instead of M2)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boss's
Could my M2 grade contribute to my further maths grade? I'm gonna do M2 next year for normal maths. If it does, then would S1 count for normal maths (instead of M2)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you've done

C1-4
M1-2
S1
FP1-3
D1-2

And your M2 is strong, I think they'll arrange it:

Maths:C1-4, D1, S1
F.Maths: FP1-3, M1-2, D2

Which means you have 4 chances to get an A* (you can mess one up I guess)
Original post by Boss's

This might help.

http://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/notice-to-centres---grading-a-level-mathematics
Reply 9
Original post by Boss's
For AS I did FP1 FP2 D1,
So will the fp2, fp3 and d2 grades count towards my A2? Or is it fp2/fp3 and then another unit I scored high in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, it will be FP2, FP3 and D2 which are the A2 modules you are doing and will go towards determining whether you get an A* (i.e 90 UMS average on these 3).

Quick Reply

Latest