The Student Room Group

A Very Difficult Decision to Make...

Ok, I've weighed up both sides of this argument, considered everything on each side of the fence for about 5 solid months and I'm still back to square one.

I have two options:
1) Stay at my comprehensive sixth form, which is average in terms of grades, teaching, support etc... (I will have to put in more work)
2) Move to a grammar school, which ranks nationally in the top 15 every year. Very academic, traditional and from what I've seen, supportive.

Bearing this in mind: I'm predicted 13 A*s at GCSE (already achieved 1 of them) and I want to study Medicine in the near future.

Positives and negatives:
My comprehensive: I know all the teachers and my friends. I have a lot of contacts here who can set me up with hospital work experience placements and other extra curricular things will be driven by my way as the headteacher is very supportive of me. I will be a junior executive, possibly, actually very possibly the president of the school. I have more chance here of getting these kinds of opportunities than I do by moving into another school, starting from the bottom. However I am aware that the teaching in the grammar school is likely to be a lot better, and if I do stay here I'll have to put in a lot more work to get my grades. I do not want to stay too comfortable either.

The grammar school:
Teaching is better (from what I assume, grades wise) and many students here apply for medicine at Oxbridge and other universities every year. They have many contacts from these sorts of institutions who come in to advise. I feel I would be prepped for the interview and other procedures more at the grammar school. However I know I'm going to feel uncomfortable moving, and it may affect my grades and the way I perform. I won't have the same opportunities here as I would at my comprehensive. Although I would be moving here with two of my close friends as they are moving from the comprehensive to this same grammar school.

Can anyone help? I'm in serious need of some advice, as I am torn between the two worlds. This is my future, and I feel terrible for not being able to make the decision, please can anyone help?

Thank you so much!
Reply 1
As annoying as this reply will be, only you can truly make the decision. There are likely to be a number of factors that will have an effect on you that others may not think of (even something as basic as leaving your friends).

You're obviously a very very intelligent person and, unfortunately, the only person that can decide this is you.
Reply 2
Original post by Clarkey101
As annoying as this reply will be, only you can truly make the decision. There are likely to be a number of factors that will have an effect on you that others may not think of (even something as basic as leaving your friends).

You're obviously a very very intelligent person and, unfortunately, the only person that can decide this is you.

Haha thank you for the advice! It is true though tbh I do need to make the decision myself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're choice in the end but all I can say is what I would do if I was in your shoes. I'd move to the grammar school.
Reply 4
Original post by Jay-Dee
Ok, I've weighed up both sides of this argument, considered everything on each side of the fence for about 5 solid months and I'm still back to square one.

I have two options:
1) Stay at my comprehensive sixth form, which is average in terms of grades, teaching, support etc... (I will have to put in more work)
2) Move to a grammar school, which ranks nationally in the top 15 every year. Very academic, traditional and from what I've seen, supportive.

Bearing this in mind: I'm predicted 13 A*s at GCSE (already achieved 1 of them) and I want to study Medicine in the near future.

Positives and negatives:
My comprehensive: I know all the teachers and my friends. I have a lot of contacts here who can set me up with hospital work experience placements and other extra curricular things will be driven by my way as the headteacher is very supportive of me. I will be a junior executive, possibly, actually very possibly the president of the school. I have more chance here of getting these kinds of opportunities than I do by moving into another school, starting from the bottom. However I am aware that the teaching in the grammar school is likely to be a lot better, and if I do stay here I'll have to put in a lot more work to get my grades. I do not want to stay too comfortable either.

The grammar school:
Teaching is better (from what I assume, grades wise) and many students here apply for medicine at Oxbridge and other universities every year. They have many contacts from these sorts of institutions who come in to advise. I feel I would be prepped for the interview and other procedures more at the grammar school. However I know I'm going to feel uncomfortable moving, and it may affect my grades and the way I perform. I won't have the same opportunities here as I would at my comprehensive. Although I would be moving here with two of my close friends as they are moving from the comprehensive to this same grammar school.

Can anyone help? I'm in serious need of some advice, as I am torn between the two worlds. This is my future, and I feel terrible for not being able to make the decision, please can anyone help?

Thank you so much!

I would recommend you go to the grammar school. A lot of the positive attributes of your comprehensive may still apply - e.g. you can still see your friends from there, you will still maintain contacts if you are looking to go into work experience.

The results don't lie here; if the grammar has a strong, consistent academic record then they are doing something right. At the very least you know there will be a strong academic environment with your peers. Thinking long term- a better schools could mean better results, so a better university and so forth. It's a good way to get along the right tracks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Jay-Dee

I have two options:

Positives and negatives:

The grammar school:

Thank you so much!

As others have said, the decision is yours and so do what you feel is right. But from the information you've given, I would also recommend you apply for the Grammar school and go there. I wouldn't really look too far ahead at getting into university, which school you can get more career advise and help etc. Its firstly important to enjoy your A levels and sixth form as much as possible, and if I was in your shoes I would jump at the opportunity of better teaching, traditional academic surroundings, peers who are at the same level etc. It just sounds like the grammar school is at a different level, top 15 nationally, and the environment will suit ppl like you who want to do well academically.

You really shouldn't feel uncomfortable moving, your just going to a different school not moving countries or anything. I'm sure it'll simply take a few weeks to get settled in, especially if you have some friends going as well. Also there's no reason why moving should affect your grades, the teaching will be better and if you continue putting in the work you'll be fine.

Maintain your contacts from your current school, keep your friends, but don't be scared to move to a better school
Reply 6
Original post by slayer12
As others have said, the decision is yours and so do what you feel is right. But from the information you've given, I would also recommend you apply for the Grammar school and go there. I wouldn't really look too far ahead at getting into university, which school you can get more career advise and help etc. Its firstly important to enjoy your A levels and sixth form as much as possible, and if I was in your shoes I would jump at the opportunity of better teaching, traditional academic surroundings, peers who are at the same level etc. It just sounds like the grammar school is at a different level, top 15 nationally, and the environment will suit ppl like you who want to do well academically.

You really shouldn't feel uncomfortable moving, your just going to a different school not moving countries or anything. I'm sure it'll simply take a few weeks to get settled in, especially if you have some friends going as well. Also there's no reason why moving should affect your grades, the teaching will be better and if you continue putting in the work you'll be fine.

Maintain your contacts from your current school, keep your friends, but don't be scared to move to a better school

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to take it actually. You've really helped me!
I have studied both at a comprehensive and grammar school suring high school and doing my a-levels at a grammar school could of not been a better decision, TRUST ME. (however go with your inner feelings and thoughts as usually they would suit you best!)
You have to do whatever you think is best for you. When I came to choosing a sixth form, I chose to stay with my local comprehensive. It was close, I had friends there, and I knew and trusted the teachers. Perhaps I would have done better in a more selective school, who knows? No-one can be certain. It does depend on the individual, and on the schools in question. I ended up doing well enough :smile:

But as I said, you have to do what's best for you, which is not necessarily the same as what was best for me. From the sounds of it, you are intelligent enough that you would do well at either school, so I wouldn't stress too much about it.
Reply 9
Original post by Jay-Dee
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to take it actually. You've really helped me!

No problem:smile: take the grammar school as an opportunity, really with your GCSEs you should do well at A levels in either school, so don't think too much about it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending