The Student Room Group

An American seeking a graduate degree in the UK

I am currently and undergrad at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County and I am studying Geography and Environmental Systems with a focus in Geography. I guess my question is 2 fold.

1. What are some schools in the UK that I should be looking into? I would like to focus on GIS or Geoinformatics but if you know of any reputable program in geography then I would like to hear about it.

2. I know that undergraduate education in the UK does not match up with what we do here in the states. What can I expect to be most heavily scrutinized on an application? In general, how difficult is it to get into grad school in the UK?

I have debated going to grad school in the US but the idea is just not that appealing. It is expensive as hell, and takes forever. A masters degree from the UK can be done in a year and for what appears to be around $20,000? That number might be a little misguided but it is certainly cheaper than what I can find here. More importantly than the cost, I would really like to live abroad. I tried to take advantage of a foreign exchange program at UMBC but the whole process tragically fell apart during the application stage and I just never revisited the idea. This is a really abstract question that I do not really know how to ask, but what schools would you recommend to get the most "British" experience? I dont want to be tucked away in the countryside somewhere where I will do/see nothing beyond my immediate vicinity, nor do I want to see just a microcosm of what Great Britain has to offer. I guess I just want the best experience possible and it is a VERY important factor in choosing where to go.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know anything about Geography courses, so others can feel free to correct at will, but here's the 2014 Subject League Table from the Guardian for Geography. It can help you get a sense of which unis might be good fits:

1 Cambridge
2 Durham
3 Lancaster
4 Oxford
5 Glasgow
6 UEA
7 Bristol
8 UCL
9 St Andrew's
10 LSE
11 Edinburgh ... see link below for the rest of the list

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2013/jun/04/university-guide-geography-environmental-studies

For top programs, US students generally need to achieve the equivalent of a good 2:1 degree, which is about a 3.6 overall GPA. For more specifics, have a look at department webpages.

As far as the applications themselves and what you'll be judged on, I really don't know Geography courses, but I'd imagine you'll need a research statement and that would probably be one of the most important things the committees will receive from you. Like I said before, meeting the academic requirements (i.e. high enough GPA) will also be important just to let them know that you can handle the intensity of the workload.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi,

I know geography students and they reckon that University College London (UCL) runs a great geography programme for BSc, MSc and PhD. It also helps with internship placements. Some respected experts teach there and the student intake is broad with many internationals. UCL attracts many US students and has good brand recognition in the US.

The geography departments in Cambridge and St. Andrews are also well respected. I think mid tier uni Leeds (safety) may merit a closer look for Geoinformatics.

Note that some unis have special scholarships for US applicants funded by uni or US alumni associations to broaden their student body. It covers 50-100% of tuition. This would help with your funding and looks good on resume. St. Andrews and Sussex come to my mind.

Entry requirement: Mostly GPA, the department's website lists average GPA or you can contact programme manager and ask. A English 2.1 translates into 3.4 according to ETS. Academic awards and relevant internships are looked upon favourably. Some unis require a Skype interview.

Go Terps.
Don't come. It rains here
Reply 4
For the most 'British' experience, you'd have to go to the old Universities, such as Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, in England and St Andrews and Glasgow in Scotland; beautiful campuses and the surrounding area and towns and cities, castles in close proximity, or you should go to a London uni, KCL, LSE, UCL, ICL, the campuses are quite beautiful, and you have London around you, you can go to the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, and other tourist attractions, the people suck though :biggrin: and I'm saying that as a Londoner :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by hajinator
For the most 'British' experience, you'd have to go to the old Universities, such as Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, in England and St Andrews and Glasgow in Scotland

I don't know if I agree with that. For the most 'British' experience, I'd say target the bigger, multicultural cities rather than the age of the university. Because the more urban, the more likely you'll get to see the full strata of British life.

The OP clearly doesn't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere or just seeing a microcosm, the former of which sort of describes St Andrews, and the latter of which is basically Cambridge/Oxford/Durham. The London unis would probably be a better fit, but consider other cities too (obviously, depending upon which geography departments appeal to you).
Reply 6
I am seeing a lot of GPA talk. I was really hoping that was not going to be a factor. My GPA is around 2.5. I have a few summer classes that will bring that up plus a pretty easy senior year but I really could not imagine going above a 3.0 which cuts out most of the top schools that have been mentioned (beyond Leeds which is admittedly mid tier). What I do have going for me is the fact that I have had/currently have some great internships and I am getting a paper published next spring (although it will be in a different subject). Will this help my case? Or am I in deep trouble?

Another note: I do not mind going to a mid or even bottom tier school. The beauty of GIS is that most employers are more interested in your experience than your degree. Although going to a top tier school would be wonderful (and I will probably send at least a few applications), it is not the most important thing in the world. It is not like english, philosophy, or history in that the reputation of your department is a major factor. In 2006, there were 2 graduate programs in the US in geography. There are now approximately 162. I would imagine that it is similar in the UK. Even if reputation was a factor, none of these departments have been around long enough to really, truly, be able to say that they are head and shoulders above the rest. So, in conclusion, I am more interested in a school that I can realistically get into, I would rather be closer to a cultural center to get the most "British" experience, and reputation will probably be the next factor I look at, but only after considering the first two. Does this make sense to everyone?
Reply 7
Original post by rcrouch89
I am seeing a lot of GPA talk. I was really hoping that was not going to be a factor. My GPA is around 2.5. I have a few summer classes that will bring that up plus a pretty easy senior year but I really could not imagine going above a 3.0 which cuts out most of the top schools that have been mentioned (beyond Leeds which is admittedly mid tier). What I do have going for me is the fact that I have had/currently have some great internships and I am getting a paper published next spring (although it will be in a different subject). Will this help my case? Or am I in deep trouble?

Another note: I do not mind going to a mid or even bottom tier school. The beauty of GIS is that most employers are more interested in your experience than your degree. Although going to a top tier school would be wonderful (and I will probably send at least a few applications), it is not the most important thing in the world. It is not like english, philosophy, or history in that the reputation of your department is a major factor. In 2006, there were 2 graduate programs in the US in geography. There are now approximately 162. I would imagine that it is similar in the UK. Even if reputation was a factor, none of these departments have been around long enough to really, truly, be able to say that they are head and shoulders above the rest. So, in conclusion, I am more interested in a school that I can realistically get into, I would rather be closer to a cultural center to get the most "British" experience, and reputation will probably be the next factor I look at, but only after considering the first two. Does this make sense to everyone?

This all makes sense. With a GPA below 3.0 (a 3rd) you are definitely looking at bottom tier universities. And of the bottom tier universities, make sure they don't have top tier Geography departments, which might still require a solid 2:1. In the UK, getting on a Masters without the equivalent of a 2:1 is very difficult. People struggle enough with a 2:2, but if you're applying with a 3rd... hmmm... Mitigating factors might be having multiple years of relevant industry experience or having your university write you official excuses about your health or bereavement or something.

So you will need to check each department carefully by poring over their requirements or just emailing them to explain your credentials. Certainly, most of the 11 mentioned in Viceroy's post (and probably all of the prominent London universities) will likely not be realistic targets.
(edited 10 years ago)
I found it really confusing to try to convert between GPA and the UK system (first, 2:1, 2:2, 3), since there are so many different GPA systems, and the cutoffs between the UK classes also vary by university.

I was in a similar situation (except I'm Canadian), and ended up just applying to universities using a weighted percentage average, and they didn't mind (I got into a top program for my field).

What is your percentage average? Is GPA 3.0 for your university equal to about 70-74%? Or is it another system?

I believe in the UK most universities classify 70+% as a first. But then their pass is apparently 40% instead of 50%, so maybe their 70% is more or less equivalent to 80% in the US?... it's very confusing.

I would just report the percentage, and let them do the conversion if they want.
Reply 9
I don't know about Canadian GPAs but for the US system, most unis have a 3.5 GPA as a 2:1 equivalent and 3.7 as a first. But it varies. Some will accept 3.4 as a 2:1, while some (but not all) top programs that ask for a first want a 3.85 GPA. The only definitive answer will be from the department you are applying to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sj27
I don't know about Canadian GPAs but for the US system, most unis have a 3.5 GPA as a 2:1 equivalent and 3.7 as a first. But it varies. Some will accept 3.4 as a 2:1, while some (but not all) top programs that ask for a first want a 3.85 GPA. The only definitive answer will be from the department you are applying to.

Hmm that sounds pretty strange to me. 3.7 GPA would correspond to about 90%, which is much higher than the usual threshold for a UK first (70%).

I had an average of 84%, which would be equivalent to about 3.4-3.5 US GPA, and was accepted for a MSc course that requires a first.

I guess the only explanation would be if the percentage distributions are very different between US and UK.
Reply 11
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
Hmm that sounds pretty strange to me. 3.7 GPA would correspond to about 90%, which is much higher than the usual threshold for a UK first (70%).

I had an average of 84%, which would be equivalent to about 3.4-3.5 US GPA, and was accepted for a MSc course that requires a first.

I guess the only explanation would be if the percentage distributions are very different between US and UK.

The percentage distributions are different. Sorry, I assumed you knew that already. Many unis have conversions on the pages for international students on their websites, it's easy enough for you to check. I'm not aware of any uni however that equates a 3.5 GPA to a first, as indicated above for most it is the minimum acceptable for a 2:1.

See here for an example of grade equivalency required , though as I noted above most take 3.7 as a first, this is more stringent:
http://mws.polis.cam.ac.uk/courses/graduates/prosmphilirpol.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sj27
The percentage distributions are different. Sorry, I assumed you knew that already. Many unis have conversions on the pages for international students on their websites, it's easy enough for you to check. I'm not aware of any uni however that equates a 3.5 GPA to a first, as indicated above for most it is the minimum acceptable for a 2:1.

See here for an example of grade equivalency required , though as I noted above most take 3.7 as a first, this is more stringent:
http://mws.polis.cam.ac.uk/courses/graduates/prosmphilirpol.html

Ah OK I see. I guess I am just special then!
Original post by ihavemooedtoday

From what I understand, the testing systems in North America are sufficiently different to the UK that a simple percentage conversion doesn't really work. One example of that would be in the UK only 2nd and 3rd year count towards your final grade, equivalent to the American 3rd and 4th year, and in all likelihood the easier first and second years are going to pull your grade up.
Original post by Doch
In my university

A = 4.0= >90%
B = 3.0=>80%
C = 2.0= >70%
D = 1.0= >60%
F = 0.0= <50%

So if you had say 2 courses worth 3 credits each and in course X you gain a 87% a 3.0 while in course Y you gain a 79% a 2.0. Your semester average is a 2.5

Other schools use different system where your 79% would be a C+ (2.3) and your 87% a B- ( 3.3) . Your semester average would then be a 2.8.

The last one I find to be a lot fairer. We do not get percentage averages or even bothered with those. Infact one time I had a 97% in my course, my professor incorrectly stated as a 91% , I let him know this, and he replied "well its still an A: and never changed this. I of course did not care. but if I had a 91% and it got incorrectly graded as a 89% then I damn sure would raise the roof. But if you were going to convert a 2.5 gpa to percentage using that scale you would have a 75% but this is never done in the US.

For UK universities, grading is pretty much set on a stone
First-Class Honours (First or 1st) (70% and above) (OPEN UNIVERSITY 85%+)
Upper Second-Class Honours (2:1, 2.i) (60-70%) (OPEN UNIVERSITY 70-85%)
Lower Second-Class Honours (2:2, 2.ii) (50-60%) (OPEN UNIVERSITY 55-70%)
Third-Class Honours (Third or 3rd) (40-50%) (OPEN UNIVERSITY 40-55%)

For postgraduate studies different UK universities have different equivalent for what equates a Upper Second-Class (which is a general requirement for MOST not ALL courses).

It usually ranges from a 2.75 to a 3.5, a huge range I know but its very bell shaped. a 3.0 requirement is more common than a 3.5 requirement. So never convert your percentages to degree classifications the admission council at the uni you are applying to would do that themselves.

I think a 2.75 should be considered a second class upper. I mean I read in an article that 70% of UK students obtain a second-class upper and above. That is pretty ridiculous. In my undergrad uni only about 30% would be able to gain a 3.0 and above. I also think they should pay more attention to the major gpa than cumulative gpa.

Just to say it's not only Open University that needs 85% to get a first. My uni did too and pretty sure some other people have said the same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's why we should all throw away this GPA/first/2:1/2:2/3/percentage non-sense, and just use z-scores.
You can't really just use the percentage as mentioned to find your grade equivalent. Whereas you can get 90%+ in your degree, it is much rarer for that to occur in the UK, hence why a 1st is 70%+. Like others have said, you'll have to contact the individual universities to see what their conversion would be.
The only sensible way to compare grading systems is by class rank, IMO. If 30% of UK students get a first and 30% of US people have at least a 3.7 GPA, then 3.7 is roughly the border between 2:1 and 1st.

Still, how individual universities compare the two varies greatly for a ton of reasons. You should just ask if you need to know the exact conversion.
Original post by Zefiros
The only sensible way to compare grading systems is by class rank, IMO. If 30% of UK students get a first and 30% of US people have at least a 3.7 GPA, then 3.7 is roughly the border between 2:1 and 1st.

Still, how individual universities compare the two varies greatly for a ton of reasons. You should just ask if you need to know the exact conversion.

Yes, that's the definition of z-scores :smile:.
Original post by rcrouch89

Most of those U.S. 'geography' programs are GIS or Geology/ some kind of geoscience programs, though. You'll find that UK geography departments are very different from the majority of US programs, with a much larger focus on human and cultural geography. The list of top Uk departments earlier is a good one to start with, but most of those places get their top reputation through their social scientific research, not from GIS or geoscience (just so you're aware of that). I presume there is some other, even informal, list acknowledged by GIS professionals, so you'd probably do well to try and find out what that is - maybe there is a GIS professional body in the UK that could give you some pointers.

With UK programs being more social sciency, too, you should probably not look for 'geography' Master's but for more specific degrees, e.g. GIS or geophysics or whatever you want to do.

Also, just so you're aware: you can probably do a GIS Master's in the U.S. at a public U.S. uni with an RA-ship, or the like, for very little money - if you shop around and find places that offer big enough RA stipends and some tuition remission.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending