Reply 20
Hey I'm applying for Events management, does the accomodation look nice? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
The University of Gloucestershire
University of Gloucestershire
Cheltenham
Visit website
Reply 21
insight.glos.ac.uk/departments/ss/accommodation/Documents/Accommodation Guide 2014.pdf

This also says we can start applying for accommodation from December, and yeah, I think it looks nice and also being self-catered is pretty cool, I love cooking.
Reply 22
Which accommodation are you guys applying for? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
I think park challinor or park villas looks the nicest, but so does spa court only that's like a million miles away from the campus
Reply 24
I think i'll apply for Spa Court. It's further away but i'd rather not be too close to campus anyway, I kinda like the idea of being in a town.
Reply 25
Just had a look at spa court it looks cool! Have you seen any pics of it? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Unfortunately not, I found it on google maps but that's it. The accommodation people said that because builders and such were in there right up till move in day they haven't had a chance to get anymore photos.
Reply 27
I'm intrigued by these courses - they sound fun... But I would wonder what the graduate chances are for stuff like film, events management etc?

Do they publish any destination of their graduates?

All the people I've come across in these industries either are not grads and some how worked their way up, or they are bright grads in academic subjects from oxbridge/RG?

I don't mean to dis anyone but am genuinely interested

Gus
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Reply 28
Ahh that's so annoying lol! I presume that it will be nice though if it's newly built

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by gustavus
I'm intrigued by these courses - they sound fun... But I would wonder what the graduate chances are for stuff like film, events management etc?

Do they publish any destination of their graduates?

All the people I've come across in these industries either are not grads and some how worked their way up, or they are bright grads in academic subjects from oxbridge/RG?

I don't mean to dis anyone but am genuinely interested

Gus

Just speaking from what I know for film after being to open days and interviews etc. In Film Prod you get opportunities to work with and meet many contacts who, very often, take students away on other projects so that they can help out and meet even more people, widen their contacts list for when they graduate etc. Whilst doing this learning at uni all the different angles of film making so that you at least have some knowledge to bring to the table when meeting these people.

Any current students please correct me if i'm wrong :P
Reply 30
Original post by Mike-B
Just speaking from what I know for film after being to open days and interviews etc. In Film Prod you get opportunities to work with and meet many contacts who, very often, take students away on other projects so that they can help out and meet even more people, widen their contacts list for when they graduate etc. Whilst doing this learning at uni all the different angles of film making so that you at least have some knowledge to bring to the table when meeting these people.

Any current students please correct me if i'm wrong :P

Yeah, you're right there. When I went for my interview day they said they expect us to arrange work experience placements for ourselves but they tell us where placements are available so we're not completely on our own.

A lot of the time the best thing to do is to maintain contact with anywhere you do work experience and push them until they give you a job.

For me, the Uni course is about learning the skills etc I need to go further in the industry because though you'll definitely learn it on the job, I think to have like a 3 year course really focussed on all the different techniques is unbeatable. But I'll definitely end up as a runner for a few years before I start moving up the ladder!
Reply 31
But yeah the halls look good, does anyone know about good clubs/pubs near to park campus or spa court halls? Or has anyone heard of any fresher's events they do every year?
Reply 32
I believe there are a couple bars and pubs close to spa court, just around the corner.

Freshens events I don't know as much about, but friends who I have there already are loving it.
Reply 33
[INDENT]Hello!
I'm definitely applying and think it's going to be my first choice, i will be applying for Early childhood studies! x [/INDENT]

Original post by AMMZK
Anyone thinking of applying for this uni in 2014? If so, what courses! 😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJAshwell
But yeah the halls look good, does anyone know about good clubs/pubs near to park campus or spa court halls? Or has anyone heard of any fresher's events they do every year?

Not sure where Spa Court is so can't comment. But really everything isn't that far away in Cheltenham and the buses are really good.

If you're on Campus at Park in Challinor or the Park Villas then you're literally a stone throw away from the Students Union. So that would be the closest. Park is very close to Montpellier (very posh end of Cheltenham) and there are loads of wine bars and places there - might be a bit expensive though. Just a bit further down from there you have the high street which is where the clubs, etc are. The Frog & The Fiddle is a student favourite (or atleast mine!).

There is a bus stop right outside Park Campus where buses regularly go to into town. If you use your student card then you get a discount. I'm a recent graduate from UOG, but it was £1 on all stage coach buses to any destination if you showed your student card. I would say its about a 20 minute walk into the town from Park.

If you're at FCH or Hardwick and halls supporting those campus's, they're all very close to the SU at FCH. Pittville is a bit further out, but again you have the Uni bus and stuff. Probably a 20 minute walk to FCH. But I believe that they still have the SU at Pittville, so that's where Pittville students would probably go.

I think Freshers events usually vary. When I was a fresher in 2009 it was a fortnight of events, everything from School Disco to beach parties and a freshers ball. They usually sell block passes so you can attend all of the events, or you can pick and choose pay for the ones you want to go to.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
Spa court halls are slap bang in middle of town!

Reply 36
Bit lame, but does anyone know when/how the facebook groups get set up? I imagine more people probably use facebook than TSR
Original post by MJAshwell
Bit lame, but does anyone know when/how the facebook groups get set up? I imagine more people probably use facebook than TSR

I think it usually just starts with people commenting on the main UOG Facebook wall when they have room offers or course offers and others will scroll through and reply when they see someone else doing their course or in the same halls as they are. I'm not too sure who sets up the groups/pages, I think often the students themselves do it and gradually invite anyone they find. :-)
Reply 38
Original post by Unrepentant
I think it usually just starts with people commenting on the main UOG Facebook wall when they have room offers or course offers and others will scroll through and reply when they see someone else doing their course or in the same halls as they are. I'm not too sure who sets up the groups/pages, I think often the students themselves do it and gradually invite anyone they find. :-)

So many great answers, thank you!
Original post by Mike-B
Already got my place for 2014 to do Film Production. Gap year first though, woo.

Hey!

Thinking of applying for Film Production in 2014, but yet to go to an Open day. What's the course and campus like? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending