The Student Room Group

planning for A2 courses!

Hey guys, I've only just joined up so I dunno if I'm in the right place, but this seems like my best bet for advice right now so it was worth a shot!

I'm currently studying AS maths, french, biology and psychology, and now, as I've decided I want to do medicine at university but haven't chosen chemistry, I'm feeling kinda stuck...

My options are that
>I could aim for three A's at A2, and go to one of the (rare) universities that don't require A level chemistry to do medicine e.g. Newcastle
>I try and go for the foundation year, but most university websites say I study too much science for that (if they count maths and psychology)

OR I could take AS chemistry alongside A2 maths, psychology and biology to improve my chances (but I think I would reaaaally struggle)... Plus there is always the idea of doing another degree such as biomedical science and doing medicine afterwards, but even so I'd still need chemistry!

So really, an advice anyone could give me would be amazing :-( or should I just pack it in and think of a new career choice? Help!

As for this moany old post being my first one, I do apologise x
You would be better off posting in the medicine forum. Fwiw, you are really stacking the odds against yourself by not doing chemistry. Are you doing lots of work experience and volunteering? Without it and chemistry, you don't have much of a chance, I'm afraid.
Reply 2
Original post by carnationlilyrose
You would be better off posting in the medicine forum. Fwiw, you are really stacking the odds against yourself by not doing chemistry. Are you doing lots of work experience and volunteering? Without it and chemistry, you don't have much of a chance, I'm afraid.

Yeah that's what I thought :-( I just don't know if trying to do chemistry next year at AS will be worth me risking my other grades, and maybe I should just aim for something a bit lower such as midwifery. I've been trying for months to get a placement at a doctors surgery but no-where seems to want to take me!
Original post by geooorge
Yeah that's what I thought :-( I just don't know if trying to do chemistry next year at AS will be worth me risking my other grades, and maybe I should just aim for something a bit lower such as midwifery. I've been trying for months to get a placement at a doctors surgery but no-where seems to want to take me!

It's a problem, I can see. You will need all the work experience for midwifery also. As I said, try posting in the medicine forum. Someone may have a better idea.
Reply 4
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It's a problem, I can see. You will need all the work experience for midwifery also. As I said, try posting in the medicine forum. Someone may have a better idea.

Thanks! :-)
Reply 5
Thanks! :-)

Still need advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by XavierMyshkin
Still need advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

please! x
Reply 7
Hey guys, I've only just joined up so I dunno if I'm in the right place, but this seems like my best bet for advice right now so it was worth a shot!

I'm currently studying AS maths, french, biology and psychology, and now, as I've decided I want to do medicine at university but haven't chosen chemistry, I'm feeling kinda stuck...

My options are that
>I could aim for three A's at A2, and go to one of the (rare) universities that don't require A level chemistry to do medicine e.g. Newcastle
>I try and go for the foundation year, but most university websites say I study too much science for that (if they count maths and psychology)

OR I could take AS chemistry alongside A2 maths, psychology and biology to improve my chances (but I think I would reaaaally struggle)... Plus there is always the idea of doing another degree such as biomedical science and doing medicine afterwards, but even so I'd still need chemistry!

So really, an advice anyone could give me would be amazing :-( or should I just pack it in and think of a new career choice? Help!

I'm In the same situation as you and by the way most foundation courses require chemistry at alevel.....you could think about an access course? Or apply to medicine foundation at somewhere like durham etc that don't want chemistry or more than one science! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Someone I know did A levels without chemistry, applied the year after taking a third year to do fast track chemistry and got 3 offers. from what I was told the only unis that objected to this were Barts and Edinburgh.
Reply 9
Original post by AspiringGenius
Someone I know did A levels without chemistry, applied the year after taking a third year to do fast track chemistry and got 3 offers. from what I was told the only unis that objected to this were Barts and Edinburgh.

Wow good for her :smile: Im slightly high jacking her thread :biggrin:, but doing fast track isn't always an option....would you recommend doing chemistry to at least AS? But in in A2 year obviously?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just so you know midwifery is just as competitive as medicine.
Original post by notsure
Wow good for her :smile: Im slightly high jacking her thread :biggrin:, but doing fast track isn't always an option....would you recommend doing chemistry to at least AS? But in in A2 year obviously?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if you start self teaching AS chemistry n the summer it's possible because then you can show your school you have a grasp fo AS.

I would certainly reccomend doing chemistry to AS though.
Reply 12

My options are that

if you are really passionate about doing a medicine degree than absolutely do it! Don't even hesitate, because it is of course tough, but if you are someone who gets good grades and feels the desire to become a doctor then why should you not? Don't be afraid of the workload, if you struggle with chemistry there are lots of ways to get help and studying hard enough will nearly always get you what you need, of course it will be a challenge, but there is nothing wrong with that is there? Doctors have a lot of hard work to do anyway so preparing yourself from now is not a bad thing! I hope your results went well on thursday btw!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending