The Student Room Group

Do you do the food shopping with your housemates?

Just wondering.

I've always had the impression that you buy your own food at the Supermarket, or do you go to the supermarket like one big family and buy stuff?

Also, do you guys cook like one big meal in the evening that everyone has, or do you cook your own food? Really curious.
Reply 1
Well sometimes you can take turns like one week one person will get most of the food and everyone will split the bill, but depends on individual, preferences in the house.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Second year we cooked together in the evening, but everyone bought their own food and took an evening each (house of 7) on a rota.

In my 4th year we had a pot for stuff like bread, milk, marge, salt, pepper, oil etc. but cooked for ourselves most of the time. We usually went shopping together, just because it meant a taxi back was diirt cheap.
Reply 3
1st/2nd year for Milk/bread and all the other basics we split the bill and anything extra is paid separately. As for cooking we had dinner together for first couple of months in the first year but everyone then started doing their own thing in the evening i.e. going out with mates etc.

Take-aways are your best friend imo.
Reply 4
That is true, I just hope that people I'll be living with can cook well enough. If I know someone can't cook well, I'll be very cautious about what they serve me up for dinner.

Also, just because someone went for self catered, does that mean that they can cook to an acceptable standard?
Reply 5
We usually went to our nearest supermarket and did a shop but separately. About 5-7 of us at a time usually went every 1-2 weeks
Reply 6
Original post by James A
Also, just because someone went for self catered, does that mean that they can cook to an acceptable standard?

Absolutely not :biggrin: my mate's sister lived in self catered all three yeas she was there and she still can't cook for ****.

Dangerous assumption to make :tongue:
Me and my flat always bought food for ourselves, though sometimes we'd make each other dinner say if someone'd made too much, it was coming to the end of term and people had loads left etc. With stuff like milk we also all got them ourselves, but I had an agreement with the flatmates I was closest to that if someone ran out of milk,bread etc it was fine to use each other's, cause it evened out. :smile:
We ate once a week as a house but tended to cook different things but still eat together as much as possible. We agreed on what the joint meal would be and split the bill for it.

Milk, butter, tea and bread were game. We took it in turns for cleaning stuff.

It works better if you fend for yourselves, it saves a lot of grief!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
For the 2 years I was in a house, 3 of us all shopped (tesco delivery..), cooked and ate together, and it worked out pretty cheaply while still being able to have lots of variety. I assume that if you're just cooking for yourself and you want to bulk buy stuff like meat, you either end up having the same meal a few days a week, or you just fill up the freezer with extra portions of whatever you cook? In second year our other housemate survived on mainly soup and library sandwiches, and last year our different other housemate was vegetarian, so shopped and cooked separately, so it's not just a case of all cook together or all cook separately- there's an in between option as well :smile: For me, the only issue was the fact that in exam time I was trying to save money, while one of my housemates wanted to get expensive biscuits and snacks, despite the fact that I bake a lot anyway, so there were always sweet things in the cupboard..
In the second year we're thinking of ordering food online (house of 5). There aren't many local shops, and the supermarkets are a bit of a way out.... However, the best deals can usually be found in the final hours before closing.

In halls, everyone looked after themselves really. That said, the kitchen didn't really have a social feel to it and it was more comfortable to stay in your room. That will likely change in our own house because there is a proper table and sofas in the extended kitchen area.
Reply 11
In halls last year, me and my flatmates all cooked for ourselves and bought our own food. Everyone was very different so I couldn't imagine us cooking one big meal. There was 12 of us, but with different timetables and activities we hardly saw each other, but half of us did manage to eat dinner sort of the same time. Also people do tend to go shopping with another person from the flat, I did with 2 of my friends, but they always shop on Sundays, whereas sometimes I randomly go at evenings as one trip never lasts whole week...
Reply 12
We always shopped and cooked separately - some non-food stuff was shared and on a rota (e.g. washing up liquid, loo roll.) I sometimes cooked for my flatmates, but I was never that broke as a student (the first time round) and never made anything all that expensive... just for fun, really, and they couldn't afford to return the gesture.

If you want to take advantage of big value packs of meat, veg etc, you can get plastic or foil tubs from the pound shop and freeze things in individual portions. It means you only have to cook once or twice a week for decent quality food every night.

We usually went to the supermarket together and shared a taxi home, because it worked out to be no more expensive than the delivery charge for home delivery, and if you go at the end of the day you can find the discounted stuff.

At one point I had a housemate who was eating loads of my food - I offered once or twice, and she took that to mean she could always help herself, even when I said that I couldn't afford to keep feeding her. So I took to only cooking things she wouldn't eat (she was vegetarian.)

Perhaps see whether your flatmates like the same food as you and whether they can cook before you make a commitment, but you can probably make it work either way. It doesn't have to be all-or-nothing, you can eat together some nights and apart on others.
We bought for ourselves but things like milk, bread etc it was just a case of ask if the owner is about, leave a note if the owner isn't so they don't worry that someone's stealing their food, and if you use all/a lot of it, replace it :smile:

Next year I'm living with my boyfriend and friends, so I think we'll probably do a lot of cooking for each other, but me and bf will be buying for ourselves etc.
We've always done it online ever since halls. Everyone takes their turn adding things to the order and writes down how much their stuff costs, then one person pays and everyone else gives them the money.

Our communal area is linked to the kitchen so people will always cook or eat together but ''family dinners'' aren't possible for a multitude of reasons. We wanted to have a big group meal before Christmas but none of our houses had anywhere near enough space so we ended up just going to Spoons :curious:

One of my housemates works in the campus shop, and when they close up he gets to pick out whatever food is going out of date in the next couple of days. So he'll come home with loads of free food and share it around with us. It's good quality and a lot of it can simply be frozen. Not a bad arrangement!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending