The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Where should I do Law?

Well I've always been passionate about doing law and I'm certain it is the course I want to take. I just completed my GCSE's, and will get 10 results in August. I already have 2 which are an A* in Core Science and a B in Maths (I do both additional science and additional maths). I am predicted high grades and know I have tried my best.

I am taking on History, English Lit, Biology and Politics for A'Level, plan to get high grades to do law which include A*s for some unis which I am determined to achieve.

Anyway I've been researching where to do Law. I am from Northern Ireland, so Queen's is a choice for me but I want to escape NI and try something new in England.

I'm very interested in UCL, KCL and Durham. Which would be the best to apply for? Which should go as my first choice??

How hard would it be to get into these Universities, as they are quite prestigious. What grades should I have for GCSE, and A'Level to give me the best chance? And what other things should I involve myself in to increase this chance such as volunteering?

Queens Belfast would probably be my last choice if I'm still dead set on leaving NI in 2 years.
Reply 1
I was in your position! I'm in Year 13 when school starts again in September so I've just started the admissions process and I too want to study Law :smile: I'm doing History, English Lit, French and Psychology at the moment so we have similar A-Levels.

For GCSE's you need a strong set of grades with the majority at an A grade I'd say. I few B's won't matter too much and some A*'s wouldn't harm either haha.

I'm planning on applying for York, Birmingham and Sheffield at the moment and will probably choose Exeter and a London uni on top. UCL, KCL and Durham are all asking for A*AA at the moment. All 3 are very good universitites so the 'best' comes down to your personal preference and which you like the feel of more. Also have a look at some university league tables for more information on their performance.

You also need to consider that you can apply for up to 5 unis and you don't want them all to be at A*AA in case your results don't go to plan and you get AAA for example. Really research the course as well as whilst every Law course has the same basic modules to give you a qualifying degree, they differ greatly on how it is taught and optional module choices. For example York is unique in how they teach their course.

In terms of extra-curricular, they love things like being on a debating team, maybe doing an EPQ based on law, sports teams, musical instrument playing, being on your school council, being a head boy/girl etc. any law summer schools or events you can go to as well would really help your application.

On a side note (just popped into my head haha) don't forget that you will need to sit the LNAT depending on which universities you apply for.

I'm sure you have many more questions as it's a complicated process, so feel free to comment on this post and I'll do my best to help you out or point you in the direction of help!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending