The Student Room Group

Tesco Mobile- how good is it?

I'm thinking of getting a sim only contract and although it uses O2's network I've heard that you won't be able to stream youtube or iPlayer using 3G- is this true?

Also, will there be any costs such as line rental when using their service?
I'm thinking of getting one of the £7.50 deals: shop.tescomobile.com/sim-only

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey. I have been on a Tesco Sims only contract for almost 3 years now, and I can tell you that I'm a happy customer! :smile: I can confirm that you are able to stream Youtube using 3G, but I am unsure about iPlayer. I'm not too sure about line rental either, sorry. Could you elaborate?
Reply 2
Original post by moonymeen
Hey. I have been on a Tesco Sims only contract for almost 3 years now, and I can tell you that I'm a happy customer! :smile: I can confirm that you are able to stream Youtube using 3G, but I am unsure about iPlayer. I'm not too sure about line rental either, sorry. Could you elaborate?

Nice, glad to see that Tesco Mobile is working for you :wink:
I looked on this website: www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/brands/sim-only/sim-card/

An if you look at the second option, for instance, it says 'average line rental equal to £4.89 after cash back'- what does this mean and is it included in the price next to it (£6.90 per month)? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Been on a year contract with an iPhone 4 atm, really good. Only ran out of internet once and they stung me for £10 extra though. Damn youtube videos

I'm sure they use o2's servers too! Would recommend
Reply 4
Original post by bobbricks
Nice, glad to see that Tesco Mobile is working for you :wink:
I looked on this website: www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/brands/sim-only/sim-card/

An if you look at the second option, for instance, it says 'average line rental equal to £4.89 after cash back'- what does this mean and is it included in the price next to it (£6.90 per month)? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh, no idea :confused: contact Tesco Mobile and query it :smile: Sometimes, they present a pop up chat screen on their website, where you can chat with an online advisor - that's another thing I love about their service :lol:
Reply 5
Original post by J_W-x
Been on a year contract with an iPhone 4 atm, really good. Only ran out of internet once and they stung me for £10 extra though. Damn youtube videos

I'm sure they use o2's servers too! Would recommend

is it better to go on 02 or tesco mobile?

do 02 customers get 1st priority?
i use tesco mobile and i find it to be great - extra charges are reasonable, even for 0800 and foreign numbers, or calling from overseas.

deffo recommend... pretty sure the prices covers everything assuming you stay within your usage rates, signal is pretty good, apart from ironically my local tesco store where i bought the phone!
Reply 7
cheap, uses 02. Not bad in terms of customer service and overall performance. Winner in my eyes.
Reply 8
I like that its capped so i can't go over.
Reply 9
Original post by littlemissmidget123
i use tesco mobile and i find it to be great - extra charges are reasonable, even for 0800 and foreign numbers, or calling from overseas.

deffo recommend... pretty sure the prices covers everything assuming you stay within your usage rates, signal is pretty good, apart from ironically my local tesco store where i bought the phone!

02 is pretty bad for internet i am told.
Reply 10
Original post by QUANTAM
cheap, uses 02. Not bad in terms of customer service and overall performance. Winner in my eyes.

do you recommend TESCO over three?
Reply 11
Original post by 3mmz
is it better to go on 02 or tesco mobile?

do 02 customers get 1st priority?

1st priority over what? All users of O2's network get equal priority and when it's overloaded it slows down for everyone, they don't just shut off Tesco Mobile customers.
Reply 12
Original post by 3mmz
do you recommend TESCO over three?

It has better signals than 3. 3 is also expensive as a mother****er!
Reply 13
Original post by adi19956
1st priority over what? All users of O2's network get equal priority and when it's overloaded it slows down for everyone, they don't just shut off Tesco Mobile customers.

Hmm i heard 02 get first priority

tbh 02 do that refresh thing now so its probs cheaper on 02 now than TESCO
Reply 14
I had Tesco for a while, it was pretty good/cheap, but O2 has habit of dropping signal or service disruption so I switched to Orange/T-Mobile, which was good but pricey.

I strongly recommend TalkMobile, which jumps on the Vodafone network. I get 5000 texts, 500MB of data and 100 mins for £6, plus a Lumia phone :smile: I believe the Carphone Warehouse the main seller for those contracts. The 500MB is not that great for streaming, but good for browsing, facebook and the occasional video.

3 are the best in terms of internet for phones, you tend to get big bundles for lower prices there, but customer service is awful.

O2 have two priority settings.

O2 Pay monthly customers get a higher priority than pay as you go customers. Giff Gaff and tesco customers fall under pay as you go.

But you're hardly going to notice a difference between O2 and Tesco.
Reply 16
Original post by Sum Gai
O2 have two priority settings.

O2 Pay monthly customers get a higher priority than pay as you go customers. Giff Gaff and tesco customers fall under pay as you go.

But you're hardly going to notice a difference between O2 and Tesco.

Giff Gaff is owned by Telefonica though? :confused:
Giff Gaff is owned by Telefonica though? :confused:

So are O2 pay as you go customers... Yet they still give them a lower priority.

What's your point?

Like i said it's nothing the user is going to notice. Just if one mast gets over congested it's more likely a pay as you go customer will be kicked off and moved on to another mast.
Reply 18
Original post by serebro
I had Tesco for a while, it was pretty good/cheap, but O2 has habit of dropping signal or service disruption so I switched to Orange/T-Mobile, which was good but pricey.

I strongly recommend TalkMobile, which jumps on the Vodafone network. I get 5000 texts, 500MB of data and 100 mins for £6, plus a Lumia phone :smile: I believe the Carphone Warehouse the main seller for those contracts. The 500MB is not that great for streaming, but good for browsing, facebook and the occasional video.

3 are the best in terms of internet for phones, you tend to get big bundles for lower prices there, but customer service is awful.

yeah i heard 3 are the best for internet

i also hear that their customer service is rubbish and their signal isnt the best
not sure if i want to risk going on a 24 monrh contract with them!
Reply 19
Original post by QUANTAM
It has better signals than 3. 3 is also expensive as a mother****er!

how are three expensive?:eek::confused:

three are renown for being one of the cheapest mobile providers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending