The Student Room Group

Tesco festive colleague

I'm sure there has been a ton of topics like this but I applied to be a festive colleague at my local Tesco and my application is still under review which is kinda making me worry. I applied on the 1st November and completed my right to work the next day. It has been over a week since I did that but the application closed on the 5th November. I'm just a bit worried I guess as this will be my first 'proper' job even if it is going to be temporary. Am I worrying for nothing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by anonymous21213
I'm sure there has been a ton of topics like this but I applied to be a festive colleague at my local Tesco and my application is still under review which is kinda making me worry. I applied on the 1st November and completed my right to work the next day. It has been over a week since I did that but the application closed on the 5th November. I'm just a bit worried I guess as this will be my first 'proper' job even if it is going to be temporary. Am I worrying for nothing?

If you have not heard back from Tesco within a week to two weeks then its more likely you haven't been successful but there's a possibility you might still hear from them.

If you have a phone number you could try phoning them to ask what is happening or if you are passing the store you applied for Pop in and speak to the manager.

In the meantime keep applying for positions at any Tesco's near you but don't apply for too many at any one time.
Original post by Tracey_W
If you have not heard back from Tesco within a week to two weeks then its more likely you haven't been successful but there's a possibility you might still hear from them.

If you have a phone number you could try phoning them to ask what is happening or if you are passing the store you applied for Pop in and speak to the manager.

In the meantime keep applying for positions at any Tesco's near you but don't apply for too many at any one time.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I didn't reply sooner because I figured I'd play the waiting game. and it paid off, I got an interview at the store on Friday. I won't lie I'm completely nervous as this is my first ever interview, all my other part-time jobs didn't need an interview, so I can only hope that this will go well.
(edited 5 months ago)

It’s the 13th today recruitment takes up to 4 weeks you have short listing, interviews then you’ll know if the vacancy closed on the 5th your bound to be one of those people guaranteed at least to have made the application and at least have an interview
Reply 4
Original post by Mohammed_80
It’s the 13th today recruitment takes up to 4 weeks you have short listing, interviews then you’ll know if the vacancy closed on the 5th your bound to be one of those people guaranteed at least to have made the application and at least have an interview

A lot of stores will have different closing dates for job advertised plus they can withdrawal the job advertised if they have enough applications for the particular job to allow potential interviews to take place and if required they will re-advertise or even contact those who never got anything previously.
Reply 5
Hi, thanks for the reply. I didn't reply sooner because I figured I'd play the waiting game. and it paid off, I got an interview at the store on Friday. I won't lie I'm completely nervous as this is my first ever interview, all my other part-time jobs didn't need an interview, so I can only hope that this will go well.

Hi thanks for updating me 😀😀

Sometimes just waiting longer do help like you said played a waiting game.

Nothing to be nervous about okay. Just be yourself at the interview.... You'll be asked some questions about - why do you want to work with Tesco, what if any previous experience do you have in retailing ( not required okay) as training will be provided. Plus other things.

If you are successful with the interview part then you'll be asked to attend a induction day.

I used to work full time 5 day's a week doing 10 hours shifts with Tesco but I am now currently working part-time 16 hours. I'm a team leader and sometimes I stand in as supervisor when required to.

Good luck with your interview.
Reply 6

Best of luck with your interview! Nothing to be worried about, they'll understand you're nervous and it's completely okay to be. as Tracey put, they'll likely just ask you if you have any prior experience and want to know more about you and why you want to work there.

For me, I found practicing questions like these helpful in developing confidence in how I reply and what I say. Best of luck, you got this!
Reply 7
How did it go?
Original post by Josh0001
How did it go?

the interview that I had on Friday was very informal which was nice and it was a group interview so I think that went well (well clearly it did) and today I got the call say that I got the job 🙂 so happy.
Reply 9
the interview that I had on Friday was very informal which was nice and it was a group interview so I think that went well (well clearly it did) and today I got the call say that I got the job 🙂 so happy.

Hey
Congratulations on your job offer from Tesco and hopefully you'll enjoy your time with them.
Original post by Tracey_W
Hey
Congratulations on your job offer from Tesco and hopefully you'll enjoy your time with them.

I'm sure I will, I got my first shift on saturday on checkouts. It was interesting seeing parts of the shop that you wouldn't usually see.
Reply 11
I'm sure I will, I got my first shift on saturday on checkouts. It was interesting seeing parts of the shop that you wouldn't usually see.

Enjoy the checkouts.

Yes it strange how you see it from another angle as a employee instead of public.
Reply 12

Sorry for late message, congrats on getting the job! Best of luck!!
Reply 13

Yay, that's good congrats. I got the offer of my job today from tesco
Yay, that's good congrats. I got the offer of my job today from tesco

Congratulations, do you know what you'll be doing?
Reply 15
Congratulations, do you know what you'll be doing?

Thanks a lot, I will be on checkouts during the day, stocking late at night - most likely. I'm unsure how long my contract is, since I been told 3 months when the manager said till boxing day. So I'll be asking during my induction which is on Saturday.
Reply 16
Thanks a lot, I will be on checkouts during the day, stocking late at night - most likely. I'm unsure how long my contract is, since I been told 3 months when the manager said till boxing day. So I'll be asking during my induction which is on Saturday.

If your contract is for three months then you shouldn't be told it's boxing day. Three months will take you into late February.
Just remember that you'll be paid slightly less than what been advertised for hourly rate but you'll be paid the same amount of pay if you are kept on beyond the three months.
(edited 5 months ago)

Bit late but,how did your induction go(if its happened), I have an induction today(dec9) and I am nervous.
Original post by ellierichards11
Bit late but,how did your induction go(if its happened), I have an induction today(dec9) and I am nervous.

haha my induction went well (it was a few weeks ago) its honestly nothing to be nervous about, you'll be fine
haha my induction went well (it was a few weeks ago) its honestly nothing to be nervous about, you'll be fine

okay thank you😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending