The Student Room Group

Paying accommodation before receiving loan?

Hi kind of curious about this:
When I got my payment schedule thing from student finance it showed when I'd get my loan installments, I then looked at when the University of Kent ask for rent to be paid to see how it was broken down. According to the two pieces of information Kent are going to want my rent at least 2 or 3 days before I get any of my loan through each term...

Has anyone else noticed something similar, or has anyone else had the same thing last year? Was there a way round sorting it so you could pay after your loan came through??

Thanks =)
Yep, that'll happen! I had to pay £500 deposit in August and a month's rent in September, before receiving my first loan payment in first year.. You have to pay on the days they specify, especially if it's halls
Reply 2
Original post by HistoryGal
When I got my payment schedule thing from student finance it showed when I'd get my loan installments, I then looked at when the University of Kent ask for rent to be paid to see how it was broken down. According to the two pieces of information Kent are going to want my rent at least 2 or 3 days before I get any of my loan through each term...

Has anyone else noticed something similar, or has anyone else had the same thing last year? Was there a way round sorting it so you could pay after your loan came through??

Thanks =)

From what I've heard student accounts get quite a bit of overdraft apparently so later in the year you may be able to fall back on this, just depends how much the rent payments are
If you wish to defer payment for your rent, you must speak to the halls you are going into if this is possible. When I registered with uni it took me a week after arrival to receive my student loan. I'd advise opening up a student bank account as they offer a 0% overdraft facility. If this goes over your overdraft, you need to have some other funding in place or accept the imposed fines from your bank.
Reply 4
Original post by HistoryGal

Thanks =)

halls are usually more understanding about the fact many of their residents are relying on student finance and are often happy to defer payment until its come through. check with them first though. its in second year onwards when living in private accomodation that this can be a problem. landlords can be more fussy about when they want the money due to relying on tenants rent to pay their own bills and contracts are usually 12 months including a summer payment which is often more than the final student finance payment you get.

To make up for this students use one or more of the following:
- A job (whether in term time or just over the summer)
-Overdraft
-Money from parents
Reply 5
Thanks everyone!! Was kind of curious but you've all really helped =)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending