The Student Room Group

How to demonstrate typing ability?

Hello, I'm currently looking for work and was wondering how I can demonstrate my typing speed to employers? I'm looking for work at the moment and some of the jobs I want to apply for want 'quick and accurate' typing abilities. I've noticed there are quite a lot of websites which offer typing tests and 'certification' (sometimes at a price) but will employers accept a score from one of these websites as proof of my typing skills? Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Just put on your CV that you're "quick and accurate", if you need to put a figure on it then put a number. I wouldn't worry about certificates, just make sure that if they decide to test it at interview (one did for me last year, I hadn't claimed anything, but they tested typing speed) you can match the level you claim to be at.
Reply 2
Original post by Katie_p
Just put on your CV that you're "quick and accurate", if you need to put a figure on it then put a number. I wouldn't worry about certificates, just make sure that if they decide to test it at interview (one did for me last year, I hadn't claimed anything, but they tested typing speed) you can match the level you claim to be at.

So if I just do one of the typing tests online and put my score in it'll be ok? I'm just worried that won't hold much weight. Thanks for your answer.
Reply 3
Original post by deadwing
So if I just do one of the typing tests online and put my score in it'll be ok? I'm just worried that won't hold much weight. Thanks for your answer.

I'd do a few different tests to make sure that you can match your claim, and then just put it into your CV. My speed is 70 comfortably, up to 85 if I'm familiar with the keyboard I'm using and the room isn't cold. So I'd put 70 on my CV if applying for jobs where a high typing speed was necessary.
Reply 4
Original post by Katie_p
I'd do a few different tests to make sure that you can match your claim, and then just put it into your CV. My speed is 70 comfortably, up to 85 if I'm familiar with the keyboard I'm using and the room isn't cold. So I'd put 70 on my CV if applying for jobs where a high typing speed was necessary.

Ok I'll do that, thank you. :smile:
Reply 5
What is counted as 'quick and accurate'? Anything over 100?
Reply 6
How do they work out the score? I'm assuming it's words/minute?

Well my dad can do 80 and he got taught to type that quick when he was in the army, so IMO 60-70+ would be quick because that's a word a second or quicker.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending