The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DJMayes
Just got back from getting my A Level results. Today is the best day ever.

Spoiler

Congratulations that is amazing.
I achieved AAA in maths,bio and pyshology. But I got B in chemistry 232/300. I'm quite disappointed that I didn't get an A, so I'm thinking of sending chem2 for a remark as I am 8 ums of an A. Do you guys think its worth it?
Thank you in advance
Reply 1862
Original post by Hodor!
Does anyone know if it is possible to get an A* in further maths without using FP3 as a module in further maths? I didn't think this was possible but in my results slip it wouldn't give me a 90% average without using my other 3 A2s.

It's possible. I got mid seventies in my FP3, the 90+ average came from M2, FP2 and S2.
Original post by mhassan
Yh i feel for you, 30 people in my school have been kicked out

My sixth form are acting like they are the best damn school in the country like what the hell. Oh well, hope you did well?
I got A*A*A in history, english lit and religious studies. The A* in English nearly made me cry lol as I worked SO hard for it, and it was a bit of a shock considering that I got a B at AS :biggrin:
Original post by Ecawthorn
Yeah but I want an A :frown: so dunno. But should be fine:smile: oh right, yeah but our exam board was wjec not AQA so is it different? Oh that's still good tbh! & okay, B in English lit and psychology which I'm so happy about!! & C in drama!

There is still the chance that you could get an A if you work hard enough. I think it will be. Thanks xD Well done, those are really good grades! xD
Original post by Jesannure
I'm really struggling to understand what happens with my as results now, I got BCCC this year for AS, of course I'm dropping one so I'll get some points for that, but what happens now? I know I've got into next year but will it mean I need go retake to get an A next year? Or does it just mean I've passed and ill start from scratch at A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your asking two different questions:

1. Does it mean I need go retake to get an A next year?

This depends on your individual marks for each subject. If you've got a low C, then it'll be more difficult to get an A overall in that particular subject as you'll need to work harder at A2 to get an A overall for that subject. Depending on your school/college, they may let you retake your AS modules whilst you're doing your A2s - but that will add to your workload and pressure.

2. does it just mean I've passed and ill start from scratch at A2?

You've passed, but you won't start from scratch at A2.
AS (first year) + A2 (second year) = A-Level. That's why if you didn't do too well in your first year (AS), then it'll make it more difficult or adds more pressure for you to do well in your second year (A2).
Original post by Ripper-Roo
That seems harsh, do you have any external circumstances you can use to stay in sixth form and restart year 12? Do you want to do AS levels again or try something else? Or you can start at a different sixth form college and do A-levels there, are there any nearby you can apply to with your GCSE grades and just explain that you failed but want to give it another go?

I can't even think straight. It's such an emotional day for me. I don't know where to start. All the colleges and other sixthforms are closed so I'll have to call on GCSE results day, they'll be open then. Its just the fact of whether they do the same exam boards as the AS's ive already got. Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it by the way.
Reply 1868
Original post by Arva
It's possible. I got mid seventies in my FP3, the 90+ average came from M2, FP2 and S2.

Ah thanks, that made me feel a lot better :smile:
So FP3 goes into regular maths?
Original post by EmilyStrange13
There is still the chance that you could get an A if you work hard enough. I think it will be. Thanks xD Well done, those are really good grades! xD

Oh so I was still 2 marks off even though my exam board wasn't aqa? I thought it depended on the exam board? Oh well I can ask my teacher tomorrow! Welcome, yeah I'll just work really hard x
Plus on unit 1 I was 2 marks off an A when I thought I'd done awful, that time when I thought it was okay I got c so wasn't that brill :wink:
Reply 1870
Original post by L'Evil Fish
How did you do? I'll get over it, hopefully next week will cheer me up :lol:

I haven't been happy about results since Year Ten January... :lol:

I got ok grades, I passed but I could have done way better. At least I don't have to put up with a subject I hate anymore so I'm really gonna try from September :smile:

How come? Did you start AS in year 10? Plus, you have like 2 years to retake what you feel you didn't do so well in so don't worry :smile:
Original post by DJMayes

I'll be studying Maths at Cambridge. :smile:

I'm sure you'll get a first in Maths at Cambridge. :biggrin: Good luck at Cambridge and well done again on getting 100% in 14 papers. Still can't believe it lol
Law - D (oops)
Philosophy - C
Sociology - A

I'm really happy with sociology as I wasn't expecting a single A, and I'm shocked that I performed better in philosophy than law tbh.

Only carrying sociology on next year though (taking up 3 new AS Levels) so all good

(posted in right place this time -.-)
Original post by Dilzo999
I was wondering how tough you found Step? I want to go to Warwick for AS I got AAA in Maths, Further maths and Economics however I need to get a grade 2 in Step is that do-able?

STEP is much, much harder than A Levels - try some and you'll see. However AA in Maths/Further should be enough to have a go and see where you go from there. I don't know how doable it is because I have no clue how good you are but it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Original post by Arva
Prodigal: Spending money or resources freely and recklessly; wastefully extravagant.

It's good to know you're not that :wink:

Have I been misinterpreting the phrase "prodigal son" all these years? I always thought it was referring to someone as a prodigy.

Original post by anonymouspie227
Congratulations that is amazing.

Thank you :smile:
hey guys I got a question. if the course I'm applying for is ABB and I have 3b's and a C already for AS as well as Distinction Star for btec (as an extra), do you think that they will accept me? Its just that i'm pretty scared that they won't and I really want to go this uni :smile:
Is anyone else getting anything remarked? I got into uni, but I'm still disappointed with my results. I got a D overall in psychology, but for the units I got C, C , C, D and the D was one mark off a C getting the D paper remarked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1876
Original post by Hodor!
Ah thanks, that made me feel a lot better :smile:
So FP3 goes into regular maths?

No, that can't happen. Do you know the requirements for an A* in Maths and Further Maths?

You need a total of 480 UMS in 6 modules to qualify for an A. Further to this, in Maths you need to get over 180 UMS from C3 and C4 combined, and in Further Maths you need to get over 270 from your best modules that don't have a 1 in their name (e.g. FP1 and M1 don't count).

My module breakdown was FP1-3, M2, M3 and S2, with my 90+ average coming from FP2, M2 and S2.

You can't put FP modules in Maths, and you can't put C modules in Further Maths.
To get predicted an A* at A-level do you have to exceed 90% at AS? I was 2 UMS off of the 90% mark for Maths and Psychology (not as bothered about psych because I want to apply for maths at unis that ask for an A*). Do you think I could persuade them too if not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1878
Original post by DJMayes

Have I been misinterpreting the phrase "prodigal son" all these years? I always thought it was referring to someone as a prodigy.
)

You have :tongue:

The prodigal son was wasteful and irresponsible with his wealth.

Prodigious is the word you're looking for.
Hi, I was just wondering whether I could apply to a course at University that requires ABB if I have BBD, the B and D being from AS subjects and the B from a full A Level (though I am going to resit one of the units as I know I am capable of getting an A overall) The B that I got for Psychology was close to a grade A overall, there was a three mark difference so I am hoping for an A overall. However for the D I got in Environmental Studies I think I will only be able to attain a C overall and I'm confident that I will as the A2 units carry more marks. So with these grades, do you think it will be acceptable for me to apply to a Course that requires ABB?

Latest