The Student Room Group

I don't know if I'll be able to go to university in this country, please help

Scroll to see replies

There are thousands upon thousands of Muslim students in this country. There must be some way around the issue.

One of the easiest solutions would be to save up until you can afford to pay fees and support yourself while at university. If you aren't willing to take out any sort of a loan then that's going to take a long time though.

Why not speak to other people from your mosque, or other people that your parents respect, and ask their opinions on student loans? I know a lot of people don't think of them as interest as it's usually the only way for people to get a university education.

Original post by peter12345
If i told people I don't wear shoes because the spaghetti monster told me not to I would get laughed at and that wouldn't be seen as offensive. If someone is making a mistake they must be told whatever their reasons for making that mistake is. Fear of offending their religion is not a good enough reason for not telling someone the plain facts that if they want to survive in a non muslim country like Britain they must work with the system here.

The OP isn't trying to circumvent he system, she's just asking if there's a way to go to university that doesn't involve getting a student loan. The post that QI Elf was replying to was unreasonably hostile, implying that to live in Britain you had to do everything in a non-Muslim way, which is blatantly not true. I'm not a Muslim myself but I don't see why you or nic-nac find this question so offensive.So what if she wants to avoid debt? Plenty of people want to avoid all debt without having religious motivations for doing so.
Student loans are interest free. And I'm sorry but your religious beliefs are stupid. Interest is one of the greatest forces in the world, there is no reason why it should be seen as bad. The world wouldn't have made half it's scientific advancements without money raised from banking establishments charging interest. Islam banned interest because back in medieval times when people took out a loan they did it because they had a bad harvest or something so Islam saw it as purely profiting from people's misfortunes because the person taking out the loan didn't gain anything new from the loan they merely consumed it. By the time of the Renaissance with merchants and traders an businesses people started taking out loans to enable them to set up a company and produce things, therefore the person has actually gained something new from the loan. In your case you will gain an education from the loan. Fort this reason Christianity stopped seeing a problem with interest but as usual Islam stayed in the dark ages about it.

Well done for wasting your time typing out your irrelevant opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some of you are giving out wrong information here. Student loans aren't interest free as per the link I posted.
Original post by WeeGuy
t i thought you couldnt charge interest rather pay interest.

so if you lend money you shouldnt ask for interest. but if you borrow then its not a problem as its the lenders immorality.

correct me if im wrong.:smile:

Dealing with interest, whether you're paying it or receiving it isn't allowed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
if other muslims can survive university in this country, i'm sure you can to :rolleyes:
Reply 25
Have you asked your parents about this? My parents are moderately strict Muslims and if I'm honest, I don't think we've even thought it through and I've already done my student finance and starting uni. Ask them as soon as possible and get different opinions on it but you really should still start working on your personal statement as it will take time to perfect it.
Reply 26
Ahh, the "religion of peace".
Reply 27
Original post by ArsenalObsessed
Dealing with interest, whether you're paying it or receiving it isn't allowed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you for correcting me.:smile:
Original post by Stevo F
I can understand the reasoning behind loans with interest not being looked upon favorably when the interest is only there for the benefit of an individual/profit-making organisation but:

1) This shouldn't even be looked at as a loan, simply a tax for when you earn over a certain amount
2) This money is going to the government, not to a profit making organisation - again no different to tax payments
3) The interest and loan repayments can't get out of control and the government will never demand lump sums from you, simply the small %s of what you earn

If you lay out those points to your parents and they still don't give you their blessing to university I think they're being very closed minded, especially as (as others have said) many other muslims are doing the exact same...

Unfortunately I can't. Seriously, anything to do with interest is forbidden. I know that many, many Muslims do take out the loans - many of my best friends, cousins etc are planning on taking them - but my parents are pretty firm on matters such as these.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP - there are efforts afoot to solve this issue and create a system in which there is no conflict between student finance and Muslim teachings.

"The new student finance arrangements in 2012/13 change the way that interest is charged on student loans in England and Wales. Previously, interest was pegged at the level of inflation (as measured by the Retail Price Index, or RPI). From September, student loans for new students will have variable interest rates, with a maximum rate of RPI plus 3 per cent.

This change creates a particular barrier for those students of faith - particularly Muslim students - who believe their faith prohibits the use of interest-bearing loans. Whilst in the past inflation-only interest was generally believed to be acceptable, interest at a rate above this is not - and with fees now as high as £9,000, avoiding the use of student loans is very difficult. Consequently, many Muslim students could be prevented from accessing higher education if they believe they cannot borrow money via conventional student loans.

The Government recognises this in its own equality impact assessments of the new scheme, and a number of bodies - NUS, the Federation of Student Islamic Societies (FOSIS), 1st Ethical and Al Qalam - have been working together with the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) to devise an alternative system of student finance, one that will be complaint with scripture and, importantly, offer neither financial benefit nor disadvantage to any student choosing to use it. After an extended period of discussion such a system has been devised - but it will require primary legislation (that is, an Act of Parliament) to enable the Student Loans Company to offer the alternative to students.

Currently, the Government states there is no suitable bill going through Parliament and consequently, the introduction of any alternative will be delayed to at least 2015/16 or beyond. Such a long period without this alternative is unacceptable when its absence creates such a barrier to participation.

We need your help to lobby the Government to speed up the process: please contact your local MP and to David Willetts, the Minister for Universities and Science.

If you want more information, the charity, 1st Ethical, has a number of useful briefings and resources on its website, including pro-forma letters and information about options if a student does not feel able to take out conventional loans.
Please contact your local student's union or NUS if you have any response to your efforts, and meanwhile NUS and its partners will continue to lobby the Government on this issue."

Taken from this link: http://www.nus.org.uk/en/news/news/securing-alternative-student-finance-for-muslim-students/
Reply 30
Well done for wasting your time typing out your irrelevant opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is my opinion irrelevant and yours not? Please say exactly why what I said was untrue.
Reply 31
Original post by QI Elf
I'm not religious in the slightest but can't help but feel you are being hugely offensive to the OP.

He/she is simply trying to explore other opportunities to them which do not compromise their religion. Yes, the UK is not a Muslim country, but that does not mean there may be other ways of doing things. Your way is not always the only way.

OP, I don't actually have any practical advise for you but there must be ways around it. Obviously loads of Muslims go to uni here and I doubt very much that they take out a student loan if they do not wish to.

I'm just being honest with them and telling them how it is.

My way of doing things, ie going through SFE is the way the majority of British people do it. So it's not like I'm the only who does it.
Reply 32
If i told people I don't wear shoes because the spaghetti monster told me not to I would get laughed at and that wouldn't be seen as offensive. If someone is making a mistake they must be told whatever their reasons for making that mistake is. Fear of offending their religion is not a good enough reason for not telling someone the plain facts that if they want to survive in a non muslim country like Britain they must work with the system here.

Sorry but I fail to see how the OP is making a mistake. They are trying to work with the system- by looking at alternatives. I know plenty of non religious people who worry about Student Loans and debts and thus find other ways around it.

There is more than one system for things like this.
Reply 33
Original post by QI Elf
Sorry but I fail to see how the OP is making a mistake. They are trying to work with the system- by looking at alternatives. I know plenty of non religious people who worry about Student Loans and debts and thus find other ways around it.

There is more than one system for things like this.

Why are we even having this argument? Student loans are interest free.
Original post by mojojojo12
Have you asked your parents about this? My parents are moderately strict Muslims and if I'm honest, I don't think we've even thought it through and I've already done my student finance and starting uni. Ask them as soon as possible and get different opinions on it but you really should still start working on your personal statement as it will take time to perfect it.

I have asked them about this, yeah and that's what they've said. Neither of them went to university themselves but they've said that if I find an interest-free loan of some sort then I have their blessing. I think they were banking on me picking one of the NHS funded subjects but I failed Chemistry, so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by nic-nac
I'm just being honest with them and telling them how it is.

My way of doing things, ie going through SFE is the way the majority of British people do it. So it's not like I'm the only who does it.

I'm not suggesting you are. I'm saying that there other ways of doing things which everyone has the right to look into.
Reply 36

No, they aren't. I pay interest on mine...

No. They aren't.

If you earn over £21k you pay interest charged at the rate of inflation plus up to 3%.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/repayments
Okay this may be a bit long, but please bear with me...

I'm starting Year 13 in September, which is literally a few weeks away and that means UCAS applications. I was supposed to get my personal statement done over the summer which I haven't even looked at, and my school have enforced an internal deadline for the entire year's university applications - 15th October. But the problem is I don't even know if I'll be able to go to uni :frown:

You see my family are strict Muslims and interest is forbidden in Islam. This means I can't take out a student loan (and don't tell me education is more important blah blah because my parents couldn't give a sh*t about that)

This basically means I won't be able to go to university to study the course I want, which is English Literature. See I got my AS results yesterday and I got ABDE, the A is in English Lit - I even got 100% ums in the exam and am on course for an A* overall - the B is in History and the D and E are in Maths and Chemistry respectively.

I have been looking at NHS funded courses to see if I could maybe pick one of them, but seeing as I did so terribly on the only Science subject I picked, it's unlikely I'll be able to do any of them. My parents want me to go Africa (lol) to study Medicine because it's much cheaper and they can pay for me to go, and they don't ask for specific A-levels but I really don't want to go there at all

I really don't know what to do so I would appreciate any advice you have. I've put this off for so long but now I literally have weeks to make my decision and I have no idea what to do. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

The internet wasn't even around when any bibles were written so how could it be against your religion? This is the problem people have with religion & religious people, when they make up random rules that don't make sense.

It's 2013, there is no good reason why someone should be held back in life by their religion!

ArsenalObsessed your religion won't help you get into uni, it won't help you get a job and it won't help you get on in life, because only you can do that by working hard!

I'm not trying to be rude but I think it's ridiculous that people have to rules that will only hold them back!
Okay this may be a bit long, but please bear with me...

I'm starting Year 13 in September, which is literally a few weeks away and that means UCAS applications. I was supposed to get my personal statement done over the summer which I haven't even looked at, and my school have enforced an internal deadline for the entire year's university applications - 15th October. But the problem is I don't even know if I'll be able to go to uni :frown:

You see my family are strict Muslims and interest is forbidden in Islam. This means I can't take out a student loan (and don't tell me education is more important blah blah because my parents couldn't give a sh*t about that)

This basically means I won't be able to go to university to study the course I want, which is English Literature. See I got my AS results yesterday and I got ABDE, the A is in English Lit - I even got 100% ums in the exam and am on course for an A* overall - the B is in History and the D and E are in Maths and Chemistry respectively.

I have been looking at NHS funded courses to see if I could maybe pick one of them, but seeing as I did so terribly on the only Science subject I picked, it's unlikely I'll be able to do any of them. My parents want me to go Africa (lol) to study Medicine because it's much cheaper and they can pay for me to go, and they don't ask for specific A-levels but I really don't want to go there at all

I really don't know what to do so I would appreciate any advice you have. I've put this off for so long but now I literally have weeks to make my decision and I have no idea what to do. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you Somali? I totally think your parents are out of line...it's your life and you're soon to be 18, right? Do what you think is best for yourself. Start writing your PS. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest