The Student Room Group

do I have hope with Economics?

So im planning of doing an economics degree, I want to get into something along the lines of Investment Banking

My AS results are as follows:
Media - C
Economics - D (messed up badly, all my mock papers were A )
Phycology - C

Ive been looking around at Uni's and there's two different economics degrees: BA and BSC ...

For BSC I would have needed to have done A Level maths which I don't and an A in Maths in GCSE (I got a B)

BA is apparently more theory based and not very favoured over BSC..

What shall I do? I would easily get accepted into BA Economics but not so much BSC Economics.. Is it worth it doing the BA Economics or will it be a waste of time?

please help! confused as Im the first child in the family attending uni!
Reply 1
well if u are trying to get into investment banking, i dont think BA in econe would do much good.
As far as i have seen, most of the financial and banking related degrees have a lot of maths in their modules/units.
Reply 2
Original post by ahmed_
well if u are trying to get into investment banking, i dont think BA in econe would do much good.
As far as i have seen, most of the financial and banking related degrees have a lot of maths in their modules/units.

Would it be useful to consider a different degree? if so, which would help me get into investment banking, or any sort of banking?
Reply 3
Original post by sabweena09
So im planning of doing an economics degree, I want to get into something along the lines of Investment Banking

My AS results are as follows:
Media - C
Economics - D (messed up badly, all my mock papers were A )
Phycology - C

Ive been looking around at Uni's and there's two different economics degrees: BA and BSC ...

For BSC I would have needed to have done A Level maths which I don't and an A in Maths in GCSE (I got a B)

BA is apparently more theory based and not very favoured over BSC..

What shall I do? I would easily get accepted into BA Economics but not so much BSC Economics.. Is it worth it doing the BA Economics or will it be a waste of time?

please help! confused as Im the first child in the family attending uni!

I'll be completely honest and up-front with you. Investment Banking is extremely tough to get into. The Bulge Brackets fill the vast majority of their front office positions with grads from Oxbridge, UCL, LSE and ICL. With those grades and effectively only two 'real' subjects it's unrealistic that you'll get into any of those uni's. I really don't understand why so many people want to get into Banking...
If you're serious about what you want to do, I'd try and get AT LEAST A*AA EXCLUDING Media (so pick up another subject and complete both AS and A2 in one year) and reapply after year 13.
Also, generally speaking, you don't need to study Economics at uni to get into IB.
Reply 4
Original post by snwh
I'll be completely honest and up-front with you. Investment Banking is extremely tough to get into. The Bulge Brackets fill the vast majority of their front office positions with grads from Oxbridge, UCL, LSE and ICL. With those grades and effectively only two 'real' subjects it's unrealistic that you'll get into any of those uni's. I really don't understand why so many people want to get into Banking...
If you're serious about what you want to do, I'd try and get AT LEAST A*AA EXCLUDING Media (so pick up another subject and complete both AS and A2 in one year) and reapply after year 13.
Also, generally speaking, you don't need to study Economics at uni to get into IB.

thank you for the honest reply! its exactly what I need!
What other degrees would help me get into any form of Banking? and do you know the route to take?
Reply 5
Original post by sabweena09
thank you for the honest reply! its exactly what I need!
What other degrees would help me get into any form of Banking? and do you know the route to take?

Investment Banking is an umbrella term encompassing the many departments of an Investment Bank (e.g. Sales & Trading, M&A, Research, Leveraged Finance, ECM, DCM etc.) so the question is a bit vague. But for anything to do with Trading a Maths based degree would be extremely preferable (Maths, Physics etc.); for M&A economics may be of some help but other traditional subjects (e.g. History) from a Target School would probably be fine.

I don't know much about Investment Banking to be perfectly honest with you but I highly doubt that there is 'A Route' into the industry. Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm sure that there are plenty of resources available on the internet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending