The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Revelation
Hi, atm im looking for City Universities that offer Computer Science and are pretty good all rounders - location, repuation etc. One slight problem .. I will not have a full A2 in Maths, just the AS level. I've seen mmu that looks good. what do you think? Thanks

Everywhere good wants full A-level maths. You'd end up in some hellhole like Swansea otherwise.
Reply 2
Revelation
Hi, atm im looking for City Universities that offer Computer Science and are pretty good all rounders - location, repuation etc. One slight problem .. I will not have a full A2 in Maths, just the AS level. I've seen mmu that looks good. what do you think? Thanks

We could probably help a little better if you give us an idea of the grades you will probably achieve and the type of place you want to study etc.. :smile:
Reply 3
Well, based on my (poor) gcse grades, I am predicted CCD for Computing, ICT and business studies and a D for AS maths. however, in my unit 1 for business studies and computing I got two A's. I think, that I will get BBC for A2. Prefrably a Uni in the North on England aswell.
Reply 4
Revelation
Well, based on my (poor) gcse grades, I am predicted CCD for Computing, ICT and business studies and a D for AS maths. however, in my unit 1 for business studies and computing I got two A's. I think, that I will get BBC for A2.

I remember looking and don't think any computer science department was particularly interested in ICT. They all wanted maths, I'm afraid.
Reply 5
Revelation
Well, based on my (poor) gcse grades, I am predicted CCD for Computing, ICT and business studies and a D for AS maths. however, in my unit 1 for business studies and computing I got two A's. I think, that I will get BBC for A2.

BBC at A2 opens up some very good courses for you. My favorites based on those grades would be Reading, UEA, Cardiff, Kent, Liverpool. If you could resit a couple of modules to get that D in maths up to a B then the BSc at Loughborough would definitely be an option.

If you just want a comparison between MMU and City then...in my opinion MMU is the way to go simply because it is in Manchester. I think that City will almost certainly have the better course but for a city to live in, I can't see past Manc!!!
Reply 6
If you could resit a couple of modules to get that D in maths up to a B
I haven't actually done my AS yet, I know its predicted D but with hard work hopefully I can get a B! :smile: what does UEA stand for? Thanks for the info, I'll look into them.
Reply 7
Revelation
I haven't actually done my AS yet, I know its predicted D but with hard work hopefully I can get a B! :smile: what does UEA stand for? Thanks for the info, I'll look into them.

University of East Anglia, which is in Norwich, a town with a different pub for every day of the year.
Reply 8
bananaman
University of East Anglia, which is in Norwich, a town with a different pub for every day of the year.

Its one of the nicest uni's in the country in my opinion. Despite the concrete buildings it has one of the friendliest atmospheres of any uni that I have been to. They ask for BBC for Comp Sci (EE if you are lucky git like me) and the destinations figures for the course are great. If you had the choice between UEA and any of the ones that you have mentioned then I would always pick UEA!!!
Reply 9
One of the things I am recently finding out from speaking to my course tutors and people from other universities is that the amount of UCAS points for entry does not always effect the standard of their degree.

This is what has happened on my course, there are some very bright people on my course producing high quality (at any standard) work.

However at the other end of the sprectrum there are people who really should not be in university at all.

So what I will say for those who do not have A's in everything have a look round, try to get into the best university you can but remember its the course itself that is more important. I think most universities are probably high standard if you want it to be. What I am saying is the standard of your degree is pretty much what you want it to be.
Reply 10
One of the things I am recently finding out from speaking to my course tutors and people from other universities is that the amount of UCAS points for entry does not always effect the standard of their degree.

This is what has happened on my course, there are some very bright people on my course producing high quality (at any standard) work.

However at the other end of the sprectrum there are people who really should not be in university at all.

So what I will say for those who do not have A's in everything have a look round, try to get into the best university you can but remember its the course itself that is more important. I think most universities are probably high standard if you want it to be. What I am saying is the standard of your degree is pretty much what you want it to be.
Reply 11
amazingtrade

Sounds like you're tryin to convince yourself more than the post starter :tongue: :tongue:
Reply 12
I don't need convincing, I have been helping out at open days lately so as a result seen of of the best work from my course and its very impressive. And the entry requirements are only 220 points. Its very easy to end up with a duff degree as its too easy to get a 40% 3rd, however only one person on my course got a 1st last year.
Reply 13
bananaman
Everywhere good wants full A-level maths. You'd end up in some hellhole like Swansea otherwise.

WHAT??? Swansea is not a bad place for CS, and it ain't that bad as a city!

Latest

Trending

Trending