The Student Room Group

Bio or Chem for A2?

Hey, hope results day went well for everyone:smile:

I did Biology and Chemistry at AS this year (and Maths A level with the intention of doing Further Maths A level next year) but my results weren't really what I'd hoped for. I got a B in Biology and a C in Chemistry, and I was trying for a grade above for both haha.

Anyway my question is which should I carry on next year at A2, or should I do both? Also if you've already studied either of them, what are my chances of trying to get an A in the overall grade? I've heard that Biology is a lot harder at A2 than AS, Chemistry isn't so much of a jump?

Sorry that's a lot of questions aha, thank you in advance :smile:
Original post by JadeyWadeySpadey

I did Biology and Chemistry at AS this year (and Maths A level with the intention of doing Further Maths A level next year) but my results weren't really what I'd hoped for. I got a B in Biology and a C in Chemistry, and I was trying for a grade above for both haha.

Anyway my question is which should I carry on next year at A2, or should I do both? Also if you've already studied either of them, what are my chances of trying to get an A in the overall grade? I've heard that Biology is a lot harder at A2 than AS, Chemistry isn't so much of a jump?

It depends on what course/degree your looking to do. But in terms of grade-wise it would be more preferable for you to continue with Biology.

If you got a grade C in AS Chemistry - you may struggle with A2 , I am sure people will agree with me that A2 Chemistry steps up quite a lot in difficulty at A2.

But remember that both are challenging subjects at A2-level ; but I think your better off going with Biology - but make sure you put in full effort and hard work and hopefully you should come out with good results.

~ Good Luck :smile:
Chemistry is more useful in general, lets you go into so many different degrees, its one to keep. Biology is interesting but the a level is a lot of content to memorise. Both are hard, just depends on what you're good at. Are you good at memorising, or good at logic and understanding?

If memorising = biology

If logic and understanding = chemistry
Reply 3
Original post by JadeyWadeySpadey

I think it can also depend what board you are with, I didn't do A2 chemistry but I did do Biology and didn't find it to much of a jump (AQA)
I got a B in AS bio but resat the practical bit in A2 year to bring the AS up to an A overall, you could consider doing the same to get the extra UMS marks to achieve your A at A2.
Also I had quite a lot of friends who did both chem and bio and every single one got a better grade in Biology, but it just depends on which you feel you can do better in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you got those results I would suggest dropping Chemistry unless you are happy to do retakes? :smile: I did Chemistry and Biology A2 and I actually found Biology A2 easier than AS! Maybe that was because I'd settled into A level
routine or maybe it was to do with the specification, I don't know. I found Chemistry harder in some parts (OCR has a heavy amount of maths) but maybe if you're good at maths you'll find Chemistry A2 easier? :smile:

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I'm hoping to study Maths at uni, which kind of makes me want to go with Chemistry more, obviously there's a lot more maths involved, I just don't know if I'm kind of fighting a losing battle there.

The courses I've looked at are AAA/AAB so I guess Biology would seem like a better option, just because I have to maintain the grade rather than try and bring it up.

I really can't make my mind up haha

Btw I'm doing AQA for both, thank you for the replies everyone :smile:
Reply 6
Don't drop it since doing chemistry and biology gives you a lot more options if you can't make it onto your course but don't do a load of resits either :smile: I got BBC at AS then resat about 8 exams during A level to get my target grade of AAB and couldn't hack that amount of exams on top of my A2 exams and week ago found out I got BCD, Still got into Uni though so who gives a **** about my A levels :biggrin: but still I wouldn't resit loads of exams just focus on the exams you can make up the most marks in and whatever you come out with in the end is probably the best you'll get :smile: I did Biology Chemistry and Maths so pretty similiar to you I guess!
Reply 7
Biology is easier and more interesting. I have done both of them at A-Level.
I am tempted to start both and see how it goes for a while, it's easier to drop it later than pick up I suppose. I'm just worried I'll put too much on my plate, especially if I decide to resit some exams as well.

Thanks again for the replies, everyone has been really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest