The Student Room Group

NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP) 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samkh
I'm doing Urodynamics at Sheffield. I've spoken to my hospital and I have to pay for the 6 weeks in Newcastle. I'm a little worried about the cost - I'm struggling to find anything cheaper that £700pm, not including food or travel! Has anyone found anything in Newcastle?

That doesn't sound good. Mine said I would have to pay for it as well but I argued it and now they are allowing £1000 in expenses for the first year which will cover most of the 6 weeks. The trusts are usually allocated some funding for expenses and training by LETB. Have you spoken to your training officer?
Original post by samkh
I'm doing Urodynamics at Sheffield. I've spoken to my hospital and I have to pay for the 6 weeks in Newcastle. I'm a little worried about the cost - I'm struggling to find anything cheaper that £700pm, not including food or travel! Has anyone found anything in Newcastle?

I am also doing Urodynamics in Bristol and too am struggling with accommodation. I am surprised they haven't given you an allowance! My trust offers 3K a year to cover travel and accommodation expenses etc. What have you found so far? I am sure in the email I got from Newcastle it says they can advise on places to stay but so far I've heard nothing.
Original post by al_dh88
I am :smile:! Where are you based?

Yay there are more vascular people out there - I believe there are only 5 of us. I am based at Barts Health, where are you based?

What are your plans for the initial Newcastle block - was thinking of looking into these week2week lets if you would be interested? I was thinking a hostel but I don't fancy the stress of being woken up every night throughout the intensive period. I like my sleep :smile: But could be a cheap option if people were up for privates?
is anyone going to Newcastle for medical physics have received confirmation of admission from the Newcastle uni?
Original post by Nav-man
is anyone going to Newcastle for medical physics have received confirmation of admission from the Newcastle uni?

I'm Med Phys at Newcastle. I got this e-mail...
"Just to let you know that we are still processing your application to study MSc Clin Sci (Med Phy - Rad Phy) (PT) at Newcastle University.We apologise that there appears to be a delay in responding to your application to study MSc Clin Sci (Med Phy - Rad Phy) (PT) at Newcastle University. We are doing what we can to try and speed up the decision on your application.

We will be in touch as soon as we can with a decision

Thank you for your patience."

So I guess they're having delays across the applications. Which trust are you going to be based at?
Original post by shaun.warrington

I'm Med Phys at Newcastle. I got this e-mail...
"Just to let you know that we are still processing your application to study MSc Clin Sci (Med Phy - Rad Phy) (PT) at Newcastle University.We apologise that there appears to be a delay in responding to your application to study MSc Clin Sci (Med Phy - Rad Phy) (PT) at Newcastle University. We are doing what we can to try and speed up the decision on your application.

We will be in touch as soon as we can with a decision

Thank you for your patience."

So I guess they're having delays across the applications. Which trust are you going to be based at?

Thanks, I received the same email this morning. Its good to know that its just not me, just a general delay across the applications. I am in-service trainee based at Northampton General Hospital and I live in Northampton as well so its going to be a bit of a journey. What about you? Which trust are you going to be based?
Original post by Nav-man
Thanks, I received the same email this morning. Its good to know that its just not me, just a general delay across the applications. I am in-service trainee based at Northampton General Hospital and I live in Northampton as well so its going to be a bit of a journey. What about you? Which trust are you going to be based?

I'll be working at Nottingham University Hospitals but living in Leicester, so a little bit closer to Newcastle.
Reply 1347
Original post by Bear1991
I am also doing Urodynamics in Bristol and too am struggling with accommodation. I am surprised they haven't given you an allowance! My trust offers 3K a year to cover travel and accommodation expenses etc. What have you found so far? I am sure in the email I got from Newcastle it says they can advise on places to stay but so far I've heard nothing.

Yeah, I was under the impression I was going to get funding but there's been some mix up. I spoke to Newcastle Uni and she said there is a list of hotels/hostels etc. if I want it, but I'm still waiting the hear back. Other than that, just google searches! It's so stressful!! I go on holiday this week so it's all going to have to take a back seat until the end of the month!
Original post by samkh
Yeah, I was under the impression I was going to get funding but there's been some mix up. I spoke to Newcastle Uni and she said there is a list of hotels/hostels etc. if I want it, but I'm still waiting the hear back. Other than that, just google searches! It's so stressful!! I go on holiday this week so it's all going to have to take a back seat until the end of the month!

Here is the list of hostels/hotels sent by Newcastle university
Reply 1349
Original post by Nav-man
Here is the list of hostels/hotels sent by Newcastle university

Thank you!!!
Reply 1350
Hi all. I am doing my masters (neurophysiology) at Manchester between the 22nd September and 7th November. I am really struggling to find anything cheaper than £210 per week, that's anywhere near the University, including private accommodation (I dont know anything about the area to look at room rentals anywhere further afield and getting public transport or driving in). Is anyone else there at the same time and got any recommendations or looking to share with anyone?
I got my offer from Newcastle Uni for Med Phys today! Anyone else got theirs yet?
hello , I am an Indian by nationality , completed my MBBS in year may 2012.have work experience for two years after that. wanted to know how can I apply for a course of MSc. clinical embryology In NHS UK?
under what designation would I work after completing the course and what are likely the emoluments after the course?

another query was what is the scope of MSc regenerative medicine?On what designation do we work after the course completion, what are the job opportunities after the course and likely emoluments and does it have any importance in NHS?
if we compare both the options which one has better prospects in future?
Has anyone been accepted for clinical engineering in Kings yet? I thought that the application was just a formality, but they are taking some time in getting back to us.
Reply 1354
Original post by 2014stp
Has anyone been accepted for clinical engineering in Kings yet? I thought that the application was just a formality, but they are taking some time in getting back to us.

Hey. I've been accepted. I believe there was only one position available at kings.
Original post by H2014
Hey. I've been accepted. I believe there was only one position available at kings.

Oh no, I meant the MSc at KCL :smile:
Reply 1356
Original post by 2014stp
Oh no, I meant the MSc at KCL :smile:

Lol. Ooops. I havent had any messages confirming msc at kings yet...
Reply 1357
Original post by samkh

May be worth looking on airbnb? Or Drs accommodation if it's nearby?
Reply 1358
Original post by lucyfm
It varies between Trusts, but for mine it's £3k a year for training expenses. That is supposed to pay for my laptop, accommodation, travel and conferences. I don't get any money for subsistence though.

I'd be interested to know where people are staying for Liverpool. A current trainee has suggested Vine Court and Broadgreen Hospital accommodation to me. I'm probably going to be staying up there for the whole 4 weeks as any train trips back to Plymouth would have to be at my own expense and probably wouldn't be worth the hassle to effectively be home for a day and a half!

Hi I'm a 2nd year STP (Medical Physics) in Liverpool.
A lot of people travelling up for the MSc stayed at based to stay in the city centre (some have little kitchens).
There's also a few b&b's not too far too.
O and the cocoon hotel - although I've hear the basement rooms have a lot of problems, but the others are good.
Hi, for those going to Newcastle for the MSc.. Been looking into short term holiday lettings as an option. Wondered if anyone would be interested in "buddying up" to share somewhere? Or are most thinking they will stay in the hostel suggested in the accommodation guide sent?
Seen a few potentials:
http://www.tynebridgeapartments.com/ServicedApartments/Default.aspx
They have a lot but it depends on availability I guess. I can email if people are interested.
http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/newcastle-upon-tyne/281371
http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/newcastle-upon-tyne/1741756
Works out as £820 for the 6weeks if four sharing. I am sure we could discuss twin beds and even maybe negotiate a price :wink: About £20/night
http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/newcastle-upon-tyne/286325
Not as s****y, but close to Uni. And cheaper.
This might be a better option than a hostel and works out around the same price but obviously a lot more luxurious!! More of a base.
Let me know if anyone is interested or knows a better way to organize something like this - hard to organize before any of us meet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending