The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Helenia
You can't apply to both for undergraduate courses.

Yes, you're right.
I've always wondered why you can't apply to both, though.
Anyone?
Reply 21
anguman - the wealth of nations is huge and from the brief view i gave it looks very technical and dry - did you read it all?
Reply 22
EmJ
Yes, you're right.
I've always wondered why you can't apply to both, though.
Anyone?

Probably because they couldn't cope with having 20,000 or so people to interview! I suppose they could always extend the interview period, but then admissions would start taking over their lives.
Reply 23
Well, we have this Oxbridge economics class at school where a group of students attend special classes that teach us economics that is not in the A Level syllabus or have not been taught yet. Anyway, the teacher asks us to read appropriate chunks of books. 'Wealth of Nations' was just one such book that he asked us to analyse.
I wouldn't say it's dry. It's simpy rather difficult to grasp his (Smith's) mode of thinking at first. It took me 2 weeks to read 20 pages of the book! The motivation of succeeding in an Oxford PPE interview keeps me going, I suppose. I have read about 50 pages so far. I don't care how long it is to be frank. As long as I grasp its main principles and finish it before the interview, I will be satisfied. Our school averages 3 people a year to read economics at oxbridge. They must be doing something right!
Reply 24
Investmentboy
Hi im hoping to apply to cam and ox for econ for 2005.

I have 3 A levels at A (business, law, sociology) and this coming year am going to take another A level in English or something and A/S Maths both of which I hope to get A in. Im also a mature student and will be 24 by 2005.........Have I got a chance of getting in?

Also which is better Cambridge, Oxford or LSE? both for Reputation and Teaching quality

Thanks for any help

Ant

U should do Maths A-level if ur seriously thinking of goin there.

Teaching Quality: Cambridge, Oxford, LSE
Research: LSE, Cambridge ,Oxford
Reply 25
anguman
Well, we have this Oxbridge economics class at school where a group of students attend special classes that teach us economics that is not in the A Level syllabus or have not been taught yet. Anyway, the teacher asks us to read appropriate chunks of books. 'Wealth of Nations' was just one such book that he asked us to analyse.
I wouldn't say it's dry. It's simpy rather difficult to grasp his (Smith's) mode of thinking at first. It took me 2 weeks to read 20 pages of the book! The motivation of succeeding in an Oxford PPE interview keeps me going, I suppose. I have read about 50 pages so far. I don't care how long it is to be frank. As long as I grasp its main principles and finish it before the interview, I will be satisfied. Our school averages 3 people a year to read economics at oxbridge. They must be doing something right!

You already started Oxbridge classes and doing reading applying for 2005 entry? We don't start that type of stuff until next year. I will do a lot of reading over the Summer - definitely look into Smith.
Amrad
You already started Oxbridge classes and doing reading applying for 2005 entry? We don't start that type of stuff until next year. I will do a lot of reading over the Summer - definitely look into Smith.

Oxbridge classes?!? wtf?!?! What's all that about. I'm at Oxford now and never had any coaching like that. How pathetic. Surely if you're good enough you'll get in and you shouldn't take special classes to achieve this.
Reply 27
both those books are very economicsy. and keynes has largely been superseded IMO by friedman and hayek. other books that would give u a basic insight would be philosophy for dummies, i cant remember who its by but a quick searhc on amazon will find it.
Reply 28
house badger
Oxbridge classes?!? wtf?!?! What's all that about. I'm at Oxford now and never had any coaching like that. How pathetic. Surely if you're good enough you'll get in and you shouldn't take special classes to achieve this.

ive heard that it can actually be a disadvantage? as the tutors can spot a rehearsed answer a mile away and will grill 2 determine whether ur parroting someone else (and so wont be able to argue with them effectively). however most public schools and academic state schools with teachers who went to oxbridge will be able to give you hints towards what questions you will be asked, and practice interviews which must be a huge advantage
Reply 29
house badger
Oxbridge classes?!? wtf?!?! What's all that about. I'm at Oxford now and never had any coaching like that.

ditto

IMO, it is ridiculous to put so much focus on an application to one university. I doubt it significantly improves your chances, but it must significantly increase the disappointment if your application is unsuccessful.
Although I beleive some people are obsessive about Oxbridge. One girl who was rejected by my college turned up a week after her rejection letter and was found walking around the college crying. Pathetic or what. Oxford is good but it's not that important.

Also, I agree with what has been said before, don't waste your time with stupid coaching the tutors will see straight through it and reject you flat out. If you're not good enough or don't get it move on, c'est la vie etc
Reply 31
Not exactly coaching, more direction and a forum for discussion of ideas.
Reply 32
Amrad
anguman - the wealth of nations is huge and from the brief view i gave it looks very technical and dry - did you read it all?

its a good book - even the original version is not huge! if you are scared of big books read the stripped down version
Amrad
Not exactly coaching, more direction and a forum for discussion of ideas.

Direction, forum, spade whatever you call it its still help which most people don't have!
Both are nice~~~~~
I prefer Ox
Investmentboy
Hi im hoping to apply to cam and ox for econ for 2005.

I have 3 A levels at A (business, law, sociology) and this coming year am going to take another A level in English or something and A/S Maths both of which I hope to get A in. Im also a mature student and will be 24 by 2005.........Have I got a chance of getting in?

Also which is better Cambridge, Oxford or LSE? both for Reputation and Teaching quality

Thanks for any help

Ant

Hi,

I think the previous posters did give you some good advice though not very well expressed in some cases. As a mature student (but younger than me! It doesn't really matter for grad students though.) you will be expected to explain why you have suddenly decided you want to study for this degree.

I agree with the other posters that A-level maths would be a much better choice than English. As far as I am aware all the Economics students I know have A2 maths and many of them have further maths. Why don't you do A2 maths and AS English as a compromise?

Economics is super competitive and it is no easier to get in as a mature student. In some ways I feel they expect a better application from you are you are older and have more experience in interviews and such like.

You need to research the univeristy web-sites more thoroughly. Especially if you are applying on your own without any support from a school or HE college. Do you know that the application deadline for Oxbridge is much earlier than for other universities for example? I help with the Oxford Access scheme (for schools in deprived areas and ethinic minorities, not mature students, sorry.)so I know the information is on the web. Feel free to contact the admissions office or phone individual colleges about their admissions policy. They are keen to recruit the best students and are very helpful and friendly in my experience.

Latest

Trending

Trending