The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medical School Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OJC
Can anyone tell me what they mean by a 'sliding scale' for achieved a levels??...I only score 23 points for gcse's but I have achieved my A levels so I rung admissions and the woman said I'd get extra points but i'm still confused! :tongue:

Original post by xXxAthenaxXx
Hi, did my UKCAT a few days ago:
Average: 665
Wasn't really expecting above 650 if i'm honest, with the lack of preparation (also has some issues at home).
Achieved a levels grades: AAA in Bio, Chem, Maths and A in AS Economics, B in AS Critical Thinking. (C in EPQ)
GCSE's: 5A*'s, 3A's, 1B.

Other: 1 week GP Surgery, 2 weeks hospital placement, was coaching rep, Student Health Ambassador at & Head of Events on the Student Executive board in college, worked in retail store part time, currently a volunteer as West Midlands Fire Station, I plan on working for most my Gap year. Also attended a Medicine career event at Keele Uni in year 12. Also just secured volunteering at a local surgery (No idea what i'll be doing, she just said to pop in on Monday to start - But every little helps!)

I've already achieved my A level grades, with AAA so does that balance me on the academic criteria for the points (GCSE's sum up to 22) ? Also i haven't actually got any volunteering at a care home/hospice, in a "caring" environment (Not for lack of trying I tell you!) confused :confused::confused:

Many Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, I applied to cardiff last year with a gcse score of 22 and AAA acheived at A2, they said i would get extra points on a sliding scale. So I think a score of 22+ for you guys will be ok.
I'm thinking of applying here again!
Reply 121
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Hey guys, I applied to cardiff last year with a gcse score of 22 and AAA acheived at A2, they said i would get extra points on a sliding scale. So I think a score of 22+ for you guys will be ok.
I'm thinking of applying here again!

Thanks so much for the reply!! I'm decided to definitely apply now :tongue:
Reply 122
Almost certainly applying to Cardiff! :biggrin:
Reply 123
I got 8A*s 5As and a B at GCSE and 4As at AS. I'm predicted A*AA.. UKCAT 717.5
Would Cardiff be a good choice with these grades?
Also, regarding the course, what type is it? And what's the interview like? Also, what's the applicant per place ratio like?
One last question.. what do they put a lot of weighting on when they look at applications?
Sorry for all these questions.. It's just, I have a week ish left to apply, and I only know 2 of my choices, which are Imperial and Southampton..
Thank you :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 124
Original post by vasuki8
I got 8A*s 5As and a B at GCSE and 4As at AS. I'm predicted A*AA.. UKCAT 717.5
Would Cardiff be a good choice with these grades?
Also, regarding the course, what type is it? And what's the interview like? Also, what's the applicant per place ratio like?
One last question.. what do they put a lot of weighting on when they look at applications?
Sorry for all these questions.. It's just, I have a week ish left to apply, and I only know 2 of my choices, which are Imperial and Southampton..
Thank you :smile:

Your GCSEs should be fine to apply to Cardiff with (I think they'll give you 26 points), and Cardiff doesn't really place a lot of emphasis on the UKCAT either.
According to this article:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios

The Applications:Place ratio was 7 for last year.

With regard to the interview, I had three people: a consultant, a fourth year medical student and a lecturer. I found the interview to be very relaxed, and even enjoyable. Most of the questions were based on my Personal Statement, along with a couple of ethical questions. I think they were looking for me to take the initiative and steer the interview, as it was all very open.

For your application, they will score your top 9 GCSEs, with A* receiving 3 points, A 2 points and B 1 point. I don't think they really look at AS Levels, or the UKCAT.

For your personal statement I would recommend reading this:
http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/medical-education/undergraduate/admissions/entry-requirements/non-academic-criteria/

A reflective PS will be a huge help, try not to just list everything you've done. You will be able to expand upon your PS in the interview.

Best of luck with the application process, feel free to ask if you have anymore questions. :smile:

Original post by xXxAthenaxXx

Also i haven't actually got any volunteering at a care home/hospice, in a "caring" environment (Not for lack of trying I tell you!) confused :confused::confused:

I didn't have any volunteering experience at a care home or hospice either. I think they understand how difficult it can be to get volunteering experience. The experience that you do have sounds fine to me. You just need to try and reflect on what you saw on your placements.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Angury
:woo: Good luck to all the applicants. Feel free to ask any questions about the university or the course itself. :smile:

Hi, I got 7A* and 3As for GCSE, what would be my total points? Also do I need to include my english lit GCSE score? I'm planning to apply in 2014 and so I would like to know the cut-off point for GCSE, is that possible?

Thanks
Reply 126
Original post by lovablebean
Hi, I got 7A* and 3As for GCSE, what would be my total points? Also do I need to include my english lit GCSE score? I'm planning to apply in 2014 and so I would like to know the cut-off point for GCSE, is that possible?

Thanks

I think you just need a GCSE in English Language, Maths and Sciences. I think you would score 25, but I'm not entirely sure. It might be best to ask another Cardiff medic, I don't know a lot about the GCSE points system.
Reply 127
Original post by lovablebean

Thanks

Depends what the 3as are in.

It's either 25 or 24.

Last year the cut off was 25 with some 24 who had contextual flags getting interviewed as well.

Your English Lang, maths and triple sciences grades must be included in your 9 gcses that make your score out of 27. So a*=3 a=2 ...
What's that score you're talking about? @OP.

Cus I dont have GCSEs or As, I have equivalents. So can I calculate that?

Also do you know of any people from the EU studying med in UK? It's really competitive and sometimes I feel there's no realistic possibility for med there for me.
Reply 129
Original post by Angury
Your GCSEs should be fine to apply to Cardiff with (I think they'll give you 26 points), and Cardiff doesn't really place a lot of emphasis on the UKCAT either.
According to this article:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios

The Applications:Place ratio was 7 for last year.

With regard to the interview, I had three people: a consultant, a fourth year medical student and a lecturer. I found the interview to be very relaxed, and even enjoyable. Most of the questions were based on my Personal Statement, along with a couple of ethical questions. I think they were looking for me to take the initiative and steer the interview, as it was all very open.

For your application, they will score your top 9 GCSEs, with A* receiving 3 points, A 2 points and B 1 point. I don't think they really look at AS Levels, or the UKCAT.

For your personal statement I would recommend reading this:
http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/medical-education/undergraduate/admissions/entry-requirements/non-academic-criteria/

A reflective PS will be a huge help, try not to just list everything you've done. You will be able to expand upon your PS in the interview.

Best of luck with the application process, feel free to ask if you have anymore questions. :smile:

I didn't have any volunteering experience at a care home or hospice either. I think they understand how difficult it can be to get volunteering experience. The experience that you do have sounds fine to me. You just need to try and reflect on what you saw on your placements.

Hi do you know exactly how many extra points are given if you have AAA ready achieved??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 130
Original post by skotch
Almost certainly applying to Cardiff! :biggrin:

Glad to hear :smile:

Original post by thefiretailedpony
What's that score you're talking about? @OP.

Cus I dont have GCSEs or As, I have equivalents. So can I calculate that?

Also do you know of any people from the EU studying med in UK? It's really competitive and sometimes I feel there's no realistic possibility for med there for me.

I have no idea about EU qualifications I'm afraid. The admin team are very helpful though so if you send them an email explaining your situation they should be able to advise you.

Original post by bad8oy
Hi do you know exactly how many extra points are given if you have AAA ready achieved??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I posted something about this a few pages back, I didn't fully understand it as it was sent to me by a member of the admin team. But, from what I gather if you have a GCSE score of 22 or above you should be fine.
Reply 131
Hey, this probably sounds stupid but i have 9.5A* and an A..I take it that would be 27 points, but I got AABB at AS and am predicted A*AAA? But, what else do they score you on and what is that out of, like will they look at my predictions and my AS results? Finally what was the cut-off to be invited for interview? Anyone got any idea??? Much appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 132
Original post by summy96
Hey, this probably sounds stupid but i have 9.5A* and an A..I take it that would be 27 points, but I got AABB at AS and am predicted A*AAA? But, what else do they score you on and what is that out of, like will they look at my predictions and my AS results? Finally what was the cut-off to be invited for interview? Anyone got any idea??? Much appreciated :biggrin:

They don't use AS results or A2 predictions. And as you know your GCSEs are fine.
I'm in year 13 and I'm not studying biology for Alevels (nor As). The requirement says that a minumum of grade C in a fourth AS level (grade A if biology or chemistry). Does that mean that if Chemistry is taken at A-levels, biology has to be taken at As-levels (and viceversa)?

This is the requirement from the Website:
"AAA in at least two sciences out of Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Statistics (one of which must be Biology or Chemistry) and a minimum of a grade C in a fourth AS Level (Grade A if Biology or Chemistry).

General Studies is not accepted and Critical Thinking is only accepted at AS Level.

We welcome students with a broad range of studies therefore your third A-Level subject does not have to be science related"
Original post by indie_anna
I'm in year 13 and I'm not studying biology for Alevels (nor As). The requirement says that a minumum of grade C in a fourth AS level (grade A if biology or chemistry). Does that mean that if Chemistry is taken at A-levels, biology has to be taken at As-levels (and viceversa)?

"AAA in at least two sciences out of Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Statistics (one of which must be Biology or Chemistry) and a minimum of a grade C in a fourth AS Level (Grade A if Biology or Chemistry).

General Studies is not accepted and Critical Thinking is only accepted at AS Level.

We welcome students with a broad range of studies therefore your third A-Level subject does not have to be science related"

Sent my application off today, just got to wait for my headteacher to attach my reference, but he's already written it so I should officially be a Cardiff applicant tomorrow morning. Good luck to all you guys; not too much luck though, obviously...
Reply 135
Original post by indie_anna

This is what they have in the admissions policy:

'At least one A2 Level science must be either Biology or Chemistry. If not offered at A2 Level, Biology and Chemistry must be offered at AS Level'

So unfortunately it looks like you won't be considered without biology at AS.

Original post by MrSupernova
Sent my application off today, just got to wait for my headteacher to attach my reference, but he's already written it so I should officially be a Cardiff applicant tomorrow morning. Good luck to all you guys; not too much luck though, obviously...

Glad to hear it! Good luck :smile:
Reply 136
Original post by MrSupernova

:rofl:

Great to hear you're applying to Cardiff, best of luck for this year. :smile:
Would 23/27 jeopardize my application to Cardiff? I've e-mailed the PA of the Dean of Medical school but she's out of office. I'm doing the IB with a 39-40/42, so I'm well above the requirement for IB... it's just the GCSE bit bringing it down!
Reply 138
Original post by imcreatiff
Would 23/27 jeopardize my application to Cardiff? I've e-mailed the PA of the Dean of Medical school but she's out of office. I'm doing the IB with a 39-40/42, so I'm well above the requirement for IB... it's just the GCSE bit bringing it down!

Last year the cut off was 25 and 24 for those with contextual flag. I think 23 would be a bit too low. How ever if you get achieved grades and no offers this year you can apply to Cardiff next year and they top up your gcse score for having achieved grades.
Did you guys receive emails confirming receipt of your app?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending