The Student Room Group

Cardiff University A100 2022 Entry

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for Cardiff A100.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about Cardiff.
:biggrin:

Welcome to the Cardiff University A100 2022 Entry Discussion.

Cardif A100 2021 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6410426

For general information click: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2021/medicine-mbbch

For entry requirements click: (see above)

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hiya Second post in this thread. I am looking to apply to Cardiff University Medical School for 2022 Entry. My GCSE points are considered low for them (22/27). However, I have 9 points from achieved A-Levels (3A*s). Do you know if these 9 points add onto the 22 from GCSE to max out at 27, or is it my 3 A-Level grades and 6 other best GCSE grades? For example, making in my case 25 points which is still good for Cardiff.

I seen a post where someone said the points from A-Levels add on to your GCSE points and in this case, I would max out at 27/27 but I am not 100% sure. I've also seen some things about Cardiff saying they really like achieved A-Level grades and that these will compensate for lower GCSE grades. These were actual official slides from a powerpoint delivered by Cardiff Medical School. Could you confirm if I would max out at 27/27 points and if it would be worth applying there? I ask because I love the medical school and am really passionate about that being my first choice if possible. I will go to any medical school if given the offer/opportunity, but if I get Cardiff, I will firm it. And in my case, would I get an unconditional offer if my UCAT, interview etc goes fine as I have achieved grades and am not waiting on A-Level grades?
Reply 2
Original post by ryanalevel
Hiya @ecolier Second post in this thread. I am looking to apply to Cardiff University Medical School for 2022 Entry. My GCSE points are considered low for them (22/27). However, I have 9 points from achieved A-Levels (3A*s). Do you know if these 9 points add onto the 22 from GCSE to max out at 27, or is it my 3 A-Level grades and 6 other best GCSE grades? For example, making in my case 25 points which is still good for Cardiff.

I seen a post where someone said the points from A-Levels add on to your GCSE points and in this case, I would max out at 27/27 but I am not 100% sure. I've also seen some things about Cardiff saying they really like achieved A-Level grades and that these will compensate for lower GCSE grades. These were actual official slides from a powerpoint delivered by Cardiff Medical School. Could you confirm if I would max out at 27/27 points and if it would be worth applying there? I ask because I love the medical school and am really passionate about that being my first choice if possible. I will go to any medical school if given the offer/opportunity, but if I get Cardiff, I will firm it. And in my case, would I get an unconditional offer if my UCAT, interview etc goes fine as I have achieved grades and am not waiting on A-Level grades?

Cardiff do indeed add points from achieved A levels to GCSE points, as per their website
Original post by GANFYD
Cardiff do indeed add points from achieved A levels to GCSE points, as per their website

Lovely, so just to confirm, in my case... If I have 22 GCSE points and 9 A-Level points, I will be scored 27/27? Thank you for the quick reply btw :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ryanalevel
Lovely, so just to confirm, in my case... If I have 22 GCSE points and 9 A-Level points, I will be scored 27/27? Thank you for the quick reply btw :smile:

Yes, provided you have included core subjects in the GCSEs
Original post by GANFYD

OMG thank you so much. I have all of the core GCSEs at B grade and above. I'm freaking out. This means a lot to me. I'm glad I can reapply to them this year as my GCSEs let me down last year. If I get an interview, I know a lot about Cardiff and its placement hospitals as I'm Welsh. They usually like to ask about Cardiff specifically and I'd be really good at questions like that. I'm quite good at interviews especially MMIs but I didn't have the chance last year, so I'm really excited :smile:
Reply 6
Hi everyone hope you're well just introducing myself as a current third year medical student going into 4th year after summer! Will be watching this thread more carefully and happy to answer as many questions as possible!
Reply 7
Original post by GANFYD

GANFYD do you have any indication what UCAT score would give you an interview at Cardiff provided all other requirements are met?
Reply 8
Original post by LidaH
GANFYD do you have any indication what UCAT score would give you an interview at Cardiff provided all other requirements are met?

No, they refuse to release this information
Hi everyone. I'm currently an FY2 doctor who graduated from Cardiff.

If anyone has questions regarding training in Wales, the C21 course or life as a doctor in general then feel free to ask.

:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by GANFYD
No, they refuse to release this information

What about a rough estimate from this year’s offers?
Reply 11
Original post by LidaH
What about a rough estimate from this year’s offers?

Impossible to tell, due to contextual, local applicants, etc.
I will have another go via admissions when the cycles has ended and see if i can get any joy :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
I will have another go via admissions when the cycles has ended and see if i can get any joy :smile:

Would it be worth doing and FOI or phoning the admissions department? Or have all these tricks been tried before? I think a lot of people are interested as Cardiff seems like a safer choice on the surface than some others but they're really a wolf in sheep's clothing
Reply 13
Original post by GANFYD

Thank you 😊 some luck is definitely needed!!
Reply 14
Does anyone know if Cardiff reserve a certain number of places for Welsh students please?
Do you guys think 2670 band 3 is good enough for Cardiff
Reply 16
Original post by hallam1
Does anyone know if Cardiff reserve a certain number of places for Welsh students please?

Their admissions policy just states that welsh students' applications will be given additional consideration as they're under-represented. They don't reserve places specifically for welsh students.
Reply 17
Original post by sneha2002
Do you guys think 2670 band 3 is good enough for Cardiff

Cardiff will only use the UCAT if necessary. They primarily score 9 best GCSE incl mandatory subjects and review the Personal Statement. I think it's more a case of trying to get 27/27 and a PS that meets all their criteria. BTW - I don't think they look at SJT band - only UCAT score.
I think they will definitely use UCAT for 2022 entry because competition will increase due to grade inflation. I did get 27/27 plus extra points for achieved A level grades. I didn't get an interview last year because my UCAT was 2500. But the year before, I did get an interview.
Reply 19
Original post by sneha2002
I think they will definitely use UCAT for 2022 entry because competition will increase due to grade inflation. I did get 27/27 plus extra points for achieved A level grades. I didn't get an interview last year because my UCAT was 2500. But the year before, I did get an interview.

Thanks for the info. If you dont mind could you share your Alevels?

Quick Reply

Latest