The Student Room Group

History PGCE, any experiences?

I am currently looking into applying for a Secondary PGCE in History, however I am unsure which University is better for this course. I have been looking into detail at University of Bristol and Institute of Education (University of London) and they both seem to have good courses. The latter is my ideal choice as I'd like to move to London, however I would like to find out more information from people who have done a PGCE in History in general.

Therefore, does anyone have any experiences to share about your History PGCE? Also, does anyone who studied at IOE have any important things to tell?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by toto7
I am currently looking into applying for a Secondary PGCE in History, however I am unsure which University is better for this course. I have been looking into detail at University of Bristol and Institute of Education (University of London) and they both seem to have good courses. The latter is my ideal choice as I'd like to move to London, however I would like to find out more information from people who have done a PGCE in History in general.

Therefore, does anyone have any experiences to share about your History PGCE? Also, does anyone who studied at IOE have any important things to tell?

Thanks!

A friend of mine has recently completed her History PGCE at Bristol, she found the whole course fantastic and was particularly impressed with the university teaching quality and support she got from her uni mentors. I am sure you know all History places are extremely competitive and this years cohort for Bristol was full from about February. Good luck in your choices.
I've finished my PGCE in history, I don't normally like to mention where on a public forum, but the latter that you mentioned! It was a fantastic course, and very paper-light compared to some others that I've heard about. PM me if you have anymore questions!

It is insanely competitive to get in- it took me 3 years!

I start as a history NQT on 3rd September

Posted from TSR Mobile
I completed my history pgce in July at Leeds trinity. I can't speak more highly of the experience, and in addition to that the course had 100% employment by the June.

As others are saying it is insanely competitive to get a place on a history pgce in particular, it took me 2 attempts to get a place and 5 interviews to get a job.

Good luck with your application, either university you suggest would be a great place to start your teaching career.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending