The Student Room Group

A level options to be English teacher?

Will these a level options be ok for becoming a secondary school English teacher?
-English language
-English literature
-History
-Spanish

Also out of interest, if I decided I wanted to teach Languages (Spanish mainly) instead of English would these be ok too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by BaudelaireLucky
Will these a level options be ok for becoming a secondary school English teacher?
-English language
-English literature
-History
-Spanish

Also out of interest, if I decided I wanted to teach Languages (Spanish mainly) instead of English would these be ok too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, they're fine :smile:, although at this stage, I would focus on the best way to get into your chosen subject (e.g. English/Spanish) at uni, rather than teaching at secondary school level just yet
Reply 2
These are very good. Are english language and literature taken as separate subjects?
Original post by Ben Kenobi
These are very good. Are english language and literature taken as separate subjects?

Yes they're separate, sorry should have made that more clear:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by BaudelaireLucky
-English language
-English literature
-History
-Spanish

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes they're good; really if you want to teach english, you should be looking more at getting into university to study English Lit. as then the option to become a teacher will come (usually you take a PGCE in your 4th year, getting experience along the way, and then you become a NQT - newly qualified teacher).

However, I would try to avoid doing both English language and English literature, as there is overlap in skills and subject content (usually universities prefer to see English Literature), even if you want to study English Lit. at university - though universities only care about your 3 A2 levels, you can take pretty much anything you want to as your fourth - just make sure you drop English language at AS (if you do end up dropping a subject)
Original post by Piguy
Yes they're good; really if you want to teach english, you should be looking more at getting into university to study English Lit. as then the option to become a teacher will come (usually you take a PGCE in your 4th year, getting experience along the way, and then you become a NQT - newly qualified teacher).

However, I would try to avoid doing both English language and English literature, as there is overlap in skills and subject content (usually universities prefer to see English Literature), even if you want to study English Lit. at university - though universities only care about your 3 A2 levels, you can take pretty much anything you want to as your fourth - just make sure you drop English language at AS (if you do end up dropping a subject)

Yeah I'm planning on dropping English language after AS or continuing with all four depending on how well I do:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest