The Student Room Group

Whats your view on travelers?

Gypsies, gypos, tinkers, travelers etc. what ever you like to call them whats your view on them?

Scroll to see replies

I know there is a lot of sensationalism about the topic. However in my area they really do turn up to your house on a flat bed and try and find a way in, presumably to ransack it. I pretended not to be in when they rang the bell, they then tried all the door handles and tried to pry the windows. I'm not the only one this has happened to either.

How i know they were Travelers is they came to the door offering to tar the drive earlier in the week and the same group were camping in the ASDA car park. I'm sure some of them are decent people, but all I've encountered fit the thieving gypsy stereotype nicely.

They are also rampant shoplifters and empty their toilets in the ASDA car park DIS GUS TAAAAAAAAAAAN

Not a fan.
Original post by cl_steele
Gypsies, gypos, tinkers, travelers etc. what ever you like to call them whats your view on them?

They do my nut in! I have two gypo families on my street; it was peaceful before and now they constantly fight, do and deal drugs and generally are abusive to people that aren't typos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
#scum
Reply 4
Original post by simplylldxo
They do my nut in! I have two gypo families on my street; it was peaceful before and now they constantly fight, do and deal drugs and generally are abusive to people that aren't typos.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hah! Irony! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Had a few pikeys move into the area in which my mate lived as a young lad. They took a cricket field out of commission and ransacked the surrounding area. Often saw them walking up and down the street looking for something laying about in someone's garden or unlocked shed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Mockery
Had a few pikeys move into the area in which my mate lived as a young lad. They took a cricket field out of commission and ransacked the surrounding area. Often saw them walking up and down the street looking for something laying about in someone's garden or unlocked shed.

theyre quite impressive... if its not bolted to the flaw the buggers will have it and even if it is they take a jack hammer to it...
Reply 7
Met a group in a park this summer they seemed friendly and asked to join our footy game, but that became too rowdy and they started fighting between one another and they also left the park looking like a dump site! So a mixed bag!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hide yo scrap, hide yo copper wire, hide yo gullible grannies!

No thanks my driveway is pretty nice as it is :smile:

Alot of them are just normal people, they dont have make a bloody mess though..
Has someone who works in a restaurant which is often frequented by travelers, (have done for around 7 years now) I suppose my experience on the whole is fairly negative. Quite rude, like to click their fingers or shout to get you're attention, will complain about food despite eating everything on their plates. Don't get me wrong, I've served some nice traveler diners but on the whole, I would say I've had problems with around 6 in every 10 tables that are travelers, over 7 years of working in restaurants.
Original post by mattmejevie
Sterilize them.

Work should set them free...if you get my drift

50.0358° N, 19.1783° E :wink:
If they didn't adhere to the stereotypes, it'd be fine. Unfortunately, they stick to them as if it's law.
Dirty, very much unwanted, thieves.
I own a B&B, I'd say 17 out of 20 experiences with travelers have been negative. Examples include:

Pissing the bed.
Not paying.
Ruining towels.
Having like 5 x the number of guests for breakfast.
1 instance of domestic violence (against his own wife).
Even had a gypsy wedding party stay once! It was exactly like the TV show.
Original post by AwsomePossum

Ooh, nasty, if those coordinates lead where I assume they do XD
Reply 14
I generally don't mind them as long as they don't take up all the space in local carparks.
Reply 15
Hmm, we have a permanent traveller (they call themselves travellers) settlement just up the road from us, and we've never had any problems from them. However, occasionally we get other groups coming, setting up camp in public fields and car parks and such and leaving a mess behind. They sometimes come into the Tesco store I used to work at and shoplift, or at best generally make a ruckus. I've also heard of another "permanent" settlement nearby causing trouble for the locals and throwing waste onto a school field. Also, they either drive their horse-drawn cart things really slowly and delay traffic, or race them along the streets.

Admittedly, I've never met any in person, but from all this, they don't sound like nice people tbh.
(edited 10 years ago)
It's important to remember that there's a difference.
We're thinking of travellers atm, big fat gypsy-esque people whose kids have mullets and sleeveless tops.

However there's another type of gypsy a Romani gypsy. These are usually very peaceful and traditional. They drive a decorated carriage with a shy horse. Now their culture is steeped in history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Never really met many or any and I technically live in Ireland, allbeit the north lol

that being said you ocaisionaly hear of some old woman being stopped by a truck and being asked if she wants to buy a bed, a three piece suite etc etc lol (matching a description to someones who recently went missing.

I also think I had some of these guys lay a carpet in my house once, 2 weeks later it had all bunched up which caused it to tare lol, ****ers..
Original post by William Turtle
Ooh, nasty, if those coordinates lead where I assume they do XD

Free showers for a limited time only! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by AwsomePossum

Thats rough (paste into google maps), id rather they just all went through a stargate or on a space shuttle to some other planet or somthing lol

Quick Reply

Latest