The Student Room Group

Needing some academic advice about the year ahead

I have been using this website for a while to read some good advice, I hope that you lot can send some my way.

I collected disappointing AS results: AAABC (in Maths, Econ, Phys, FMath, Chemistry respectively) about two weeks ago. This obviously means that I can't make competitive, let alone, successful applications to: UCL, Imperial, Oxbridge and LSE (the places that I had in mind).

I've moved college, have a renewed resolve to work harder and organise my time better. The idea right now is to resit AS exams for FMaths and Chemistry. In order to have a competitive application for Maths at Oxbridge, which I plan to apply for in autumn 2014, someone suggested that I do STEP/AEA and do more FMaths Modules to compensate for this year's bad performance.

How much can anyone realistically manage? What should I decide to do, with the ultimate aim of entering a top, top university, for Mathematics (a particularly competitive course?

Any advice would be appreciated. :wink::wink::wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Moved to Mathematics University courses :smile:
How are these bad AS's?

I got AAABC at AS (maths, physics, chemistry, computing, biology respectively) and now I'm at Warwick studying maths which is top 4 for maths. Warwick is actually a great place and the maths course is incredible.

What do you personally count as a top, top uni?
Warwick is a top university and congratulations for getting in. Perhaps your B and C, was compensated by a good personal statement, references or so-called super curricular activities (maths competitions etc), I don't have any of those at present.
Let's be frank a B in Further Maths which I am gutted about destroys any chance of a successful application to top universities for Maths.
As well as Warwick I am thinking of Imperial, UCl, Cambridge, LSE (for joint MathEcon) and Bristol.
Would any of you advise doing extra modules or the AEA? This would be to stand out from other A*A*A, STEP 1, candidates.
Cheers
:smile:
Original post by thesmallerhand
Warwick is a top university and congratulations for getting in. Perhaps your B and C, was compensated by a good personal statement, references or so-called super curricular activities (maths competitions etc), I don't have any of those at present.
Let's be frank a B in Further Maths which I am gutted about destroys any chance of a successful application to top universities for Maths.
As well as Warwick I am thinking of Imperial, UCl, Cambridge, LSE (for joint MathEcon) and Bristol.
Would any of you advise doing extra modules or the AEA? This would be to stand out from other A*A*A, STEP 1, candidates.
Cheers

Depends if you want to get into COWI.

If so, do everything mathematically possible, ie A Levels in Maths, Further Maths, Further Maths Additional (ie 3 A-Levels in Maths), STEP II and III and AEA (no point doing MAT if you're doing STEP because Cambridge requires STEP)

Then once you get your results, if they're good, reapply, else stick with your original choice.
Reply 5
I have been using this website for a while to read some good advice, I hope that you lot can send some my way.

I collected disappointing AS results: AAABC (in Maths, Econ, Phys, FMath, Chemistry respectively) about two weeks ago. This obviously means that I can't make competitive, let alone, successful applications to: UCL, Imperial, Oxbridge and LSE (the places that I had in mind).

I've moved college, have a renewed resolve to work harder and organise my time better. The idea right now is to resit AS exams for FMaths and Chemistry. In order to have a competitive application for Maths at Oxbridge, which I plan to apply for in autumn 2014, someone suggested that I do STEP/AEA and do more FMaths Modules to compensate for this year's bad performance.

How much can anyone realistically manage? What should I decide to do, with the ultimate aim of entering a top, top university, for Mathematics (a particularly competitive course?

Any advice would be appreciated. :wink::wink::wink:

There isn't a definitive answer to your question, and there's only so much people can say from the limited information you've given, but here are a few things to think about;

my immediate reaction was "why are you taking so many subjects?" - many applicants for Maths at top unis have something like A*A*A or A*AA in Maths, Further Maths and Physics. By all means keep 4 subjects (inc Econ and Physics) to A2 but why retake Chemistry when it's unnecessary and will distract you from improving your Maths?

Was your B at FM a low B, or just a few marks off an A? Did you find difficulties with the pure material FP1/2/3, which would need to be addressed, or was your grade dragged down by something mind-numbing like D1 or S1, which would be of less concern to a university?

Personally I would look critically at your weaknesses in FM, see if you can get an A*A*A or A*AA prediction from teachers for your 3 key subjects (which should be Maths, FM and one other) and take things from there.

If you're mentioning Cambridge as a serious consideration then you have other challenges: UCAS applications need to be in early; you will need to do STEP II and III (STEP I will not be enough); and as someone doing Maths and FM in parallel at AS you will need to get to grips with the C3/C4 topics as quickly as possible to get in a good position to practise for STEP :smile:
The grades you have achieved are by no means bad at all, they are very good. I wouldn't give up on your preferred choice. You still are very much in the game
Original post by davros
There isn't a definitive answer to your question, and there's only so much people can say from the limited information you've given, but here are a few things to think about;

my immediate reaction was "why are you taking so many subjects?" - many applicants for Maths at top unis have something like A*A*A or A*AA in Maths, Further Maths and Physics. By all means keep 4 subjects (inc Econ and Physics) to A2 but why retake Chemistry when it's unnecessary and will distract you from improving your Maths?

Was your B at FM a low B, or just a few marks off an A? Did you find difficulties with the pure material FP1/2/3, which would need to be addressed, or was your grade dragged down by something mind-numbing like D1 or S1, which would be of less concern to a university?

Personally I would look critically at your weaknesses in FM, see if you can get an A*A*A or A*AA prediction from teachers for your 3 key subjects (which should be Maths, FM and one other) and take things from there.

If you're mentioning Cambridge as a serious consideration then you have other challenges: UCAS applications need to be in early; you will need to do STEP II and III (STEP I will not be enough); and as someone doing Maths and FM in parallel at AS you will need to get to grips with the C3/C4 topics as quickly as possible to get in a good position to practise for STEP :smile:

Thank you very much for your advice, perhaps I could give more context. Although I know it is a rare route, I intend to apply for the mentioned universities in Autumn 2014, after I finish my A-levels. My teachers are not willing to give me the necessary predicted grades to make an application. I have however got assurances from tutors that if I do get A*A*A grades with distinction in STEP, I will get an interview. That's motivation, if I ever needed it!

My C was in chemistry which I was certainly surprised by; at the very least, I have a sense of shame and disbelief that the work and effort I put in for the subject didn't come to any thing.

But more importantly, please correct me if not, doing 5 subjects to AS is not uncommon for Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial applicants. It hopefully demonstrates to admission tutors that I am hard working, and can mange the workloads of undergraduate study. That said, I clearly didn't manage it that well last year, though I am more organised, focused and determined now.

I am worried about the potential number of exams that I would have to do next summer. Here is a crude estimate: Econ A2 (2), Phys A2 (2), FMaths A2 (6), Chemistry AS (2), Further Maths AS (3). This will be difficult to undertake. Part of my problem this year was managing my time for the 13 exams I had to do. This year there could be as many as 15!

As always, any advice or insight is much appreciated :smile::smile::smile:
Original post by davros

Thank you very much for your advice, perhaps I could give more context. Although I know it is a rare route, I intend to apply for the mentioned universities in Autumn 2014, after I finish my A-levels. My teachers are not willing to give me the necessary predicted grades to make a competitive application. I have however got assurances from university tutors that if I do get A*A*A grades with distinction in STEP I and II, I will get an interview. That's motivation, if I ever needed it!

My C was in chemistry which I was certainly surprised by; at the very least, I have a sense of shame and disbelief that the work and effort I put in for the subject didn't come to any thing.

But more importantly, please correct me if not, doing 5 subjects to AS is not uncommon for Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial applicants. It hopefully demonstrates to admission tutors that I am hard working, and can mange the workloads of undergraduate study. That said, I clearly didn't manage it that well last year, though I am more organised, focused and determined now.

I am worried about the potential number of exams that I would have to do next summer. Here is a crude estimate: Econ A2 (2), Phys A2 (2), FMaths A2 (6), Chemistry AS (2), Further Maths AS (3). This will be difficult to undertake. Part of my problem this year was managing my time for the 13 exams I had to do. This year there could be as many as 15!

Reply 9
Thank you very much for your advice, perhaps I could give more context. Although I know it is a rare route, I intend to apply for the mentioned universities in Autumn 2014, after I finish my A-levels. My teachers are not willing to give me the necessary predicted grades to make a competitive application. I have however got assurances from university tutors that if I do get A*A*A grades with distinction in STEP I and II, I will get an interview. That's motivation, if I ever needed it!

5 AS levels isn't outrageous BUT you have to make sure that spreading your effort doesn't dilute your grades, which is what seems to have happened here. I would be less worried if you had an A in AS FM and a B in Econ or Physics tbh.

I would certainly forget a Chemistry retake if you're serious about a Maths degree, and concentrate on getting the best possible grades in the other 4 subjects. Don't underestimate the amount of preparation required for STEP - most people start around January time, but as I advised earlier it's essential that you master C3 and C4 before this point, even if you have to self-teach (students who do A2 Maths in one year followed by A2 FM in the next year have a clear advantage in this respect).

I take it your current plan is to do A2 exams + STEP I and II next summer, then apply in Autumn 2014 as a post A level applicant? Good grades in STEP I and II should help to secure a Cambridge interview for you, but bear in mind that their standard offer is grades 1, 1 in STEP II and III, so you would still have to sit STEP III in the following summer and they might even ask for a more challening grade given that you would have had an extra year to prepare! Good luck :smile:
Reply 10
Cheers

I would firstly, choose Warwick over UCL for maths, well. COWI. UCL is great, but it's Maths department and course is pretty mediocre. Maths wise you will have more fun at Warwick. Bristol is also very good for maths, I'd say its the best after COWI, sometimes you hear of COWIB.
Another thing about Warwick is that you will get an offer as long as you are predicted atleast AAB. They do this because the offer is hard to meet, so STEP and AEA filters out the best candidates etc.

As for extra modules- I'd take 1 or 2 if you can, just for the sake of learning, I'm sure it would look nice on your statement. For those 1 or 2 extra modules, I'd do further mechanics modules (COWI looves mechanics). Also For Cambridge you have to do STEP II and STEP III. On top of these, I would do AEA or STEP I because its easier than the other 2, and it will get you into Warwick if you do well enough. If you think that's too much, I'd say its better to do the STEPs and AEA.
PS. they are damn expensive!

I think Imperial has a new requirement this year, where you HAVE to sit the MAT, which is something to keep in mind as its in taken in November this year. If you can't do the MAT you can opt to take either STEP II or STEP III which you need to get a grade 2 in, minumum.

Bristol is also nice with offers, they are quite low, despite it being such a good Uni and maths department. It's a bargain.

LSE is probably the best for economics, in the country and world wide. So it's a good choice.

So yeah to conclude, I can't speak for the rest.
In terms of getting offers, you are guaranteed one from Warwick, pretty sure Bristol will accept you, Imperial is quite strict, cant comment on LSE, Cambridge if you get an interview (most people get given one) and do well in it, you will get an offer. Oxford if you are considering them, you will need to take the MAT as well, if you do well enough you get an interview which you will have to pass for the offer, but it has the kindest offer out of COWI.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest