The Student Room Group

Leeds A100 Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StephenNaulls
Oh. But surely more than 1,000 people applying have 9A* or AAAA at AS?

I thought the same thing but I guess that's where the UKCAT might come in perhaps? Difficult to suggest how things will go with no past data for this admissions policy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do I even have a chance?
6As, 2Bs,(one is maths) 1/2C + D(french) @ GCSE.
I am currently starting my AS, I want to find the right options for myself.
Reply 102
Original post by heythere247
I thought the same thing but I guess that's where the UKCAT might come in perhaps? Difficult to suggest how things will go with no past data for this admissions policy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm, I qualify for Access To Leeds, so hopefully that might get me an interview
Reply 103
Having been to the open day on Saturday, I'm sold! Leeds will definitely be one of my options. Heck, the swimming pool had a moveable floor. How cool is that?!

What did others think? Are you a bit concerned there are no SSCs like at most other unis or are you fine with not having much choice with regards to course content? I think it's ok, especially as they have the research unit that runs throughout the whole degree providing some flexibility and of course you can supplement the course content with extracurricular involvement in medical societies that interest you.
Original post by StephenNaulls
Hmmm, I qualify for Access To Leeds, so hopefully that might get me an interview

Access to leeds will allow the admissions tutors to put your academic achievements into context as such :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 105
Original post by skotch
Having been to the open day on Saturday, I'm sold! Leeds will definitely be one of my options. Heck, the swimming pool had a moveable floor. How cool is that?!

What did others think? Are you a bit concerned there are no SSCs like at most other unis or are you fine with not having much choice with regards to course content? I think it's ok, especially as they have the research unit that runs throughout the whole degree providing some flexibility and of course you can supplement the course content with extracurricular involvement in medical societies that interest you.

wow moveable floor does sound good!! I think I am applying here too. Did you get any specific advice on admissions? Is it certain that they score on either AS or GCSE? UKCAt scores etc. :smile:
Reply 106
Original post by Siani94
wow moveable floor does sound good!! I think I am applying here too. Did you get any specific advice on admissions? Is it certain that they score on either AS or GCSE? UKCAt scores etc. :smile:

Well I missed the first half hour of the talk because I got the times wrong, but the talk wasn't really directed towards graduates applying for the course. More towards school-leavers.

What I got was that they use the UKCat very minimally, and only really in borderline cases where they have to decide between two applicants. They said they would take the top 1000 applicants for interview. I can't remember what they said in terms of GCSEs/ASs as I wasn't really paying attention to that bit because I know I'm fine for that. If you check their website or contact the admissions people, someone might be able to answer your question a bit better! Sorry I can't be of much help!

Edit: just had a look back through my notes.

For GCSEs the very minimum is 6Bs, below which they won't accept anyone, but a typical GCSE haulage is around 9As if I remember correctly (didn't write that down!).

No cut-off for UKCat, but typical score = 2500 (however, UKCat has changed this year, so take this with a pinch of salt).

Top 1000 applicants' personal statements are thoroughly read by 2 judicators.

A*s at A2 have absolutely no advantage over A. Typical offer AAA. Chemistry, plus two others which aren't related to one another (i.e. further maths + maths won't be accepted, nor will physics + maths I don't think) - they want a wide spread of A levels and only want 3. No need to do more A levels than that.

If you meet the minimum criteria, they then look at your academic criteria and score it. Then they look at your non-academic criteria and score it.

Main non-academic criteria: 1. Motivation and insight into medical career // 2. Social awareness // 3. Responsibility and leadership // 4. Interests and achievements (in no particular order - all as important as each other).

The key thing that came across (to me) is that they're looking for balanced candidates. Balance as a doctor is very important otherwise you'll burnout and become ill.

Interviews = MMI. 8 stations. 2 about personal statement, other 6 will be little tasks or questions. 1 minute to prepare, 7 minute task.

That's pretty much it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by skotch
Well I missed the first half hour of the talk because I got the times wrong, but the talk wasn't really directed towards graduates applying for the course. More towards school-leavers.

What I got was that they use the UKCat very minimally, and only really in borderline cases where they have to decide between two applicants. They said they would take the top 1000 applicants for interview. I can't remember what they said in terms of GCSEs/ASs as I wasn't really paying attention to that bit because I know I'm fine for that. If you check their website or contact the admissions people, someone might be able to answer your question a bit better! Sorry I can't be of much help!

Edit: just had a look back through my notes.

For GCSEs the very minimum is 6Bs, below which they won't accept anyone, but a typical GCSE haulage is around 9As if I remember correctly (didn't write that down!).

No cut-off for UKCat, but typical score = 2500 (however, UKCat has changed this year, so take this with a pinch of salt).

Top 1000 applicants' personal statements are thoroughly read by 2 judicators.

A*s at A2 have absolutely no advantage over A. Typical offer AAA. Chemistry, plus two others which aren't related to one another (i.e. further maths + maths won't be accepted, nor will physics + maths I don't think) - they want a wide spread of A levels and only want 3. No need to do more A levels than that.

If you meet the minimum criteria, they then look at your academic criteria and score it. Then they look at your non-academic criteria and score it.

Main non-academic criteria: 1. Motivation and insight into medical career // 2. Social awareness // 3. Responsibility and leadership // 4. Interests and achievements (in no particular order - all as important as each other).

The key thing that came across (to me) is that they're looking for balanced candidates. Balance as a doctor is very important otherwise you'll burnout and become ill.

Interviews = MMI. 8 stations. 2 about personal statement, other 6 will be little tasks or questions. 1 minute to prepare, 7 minute task.

That's pretty much it.

Nice one - Thanks! Think I'm going to go for it...!! xx
Reply 108
what would 7A* and 2A's at GCSE be equivalent to in terms of AS level results using leeds scoring system?
Reply 109
Original post by zog third
what would 7A* and 2A's at GCSE be equivalent to in terms of AS level results using leeds scoring system?

I'm not exactly sure as they don't specify what points system they use within the 9 GCSE requirement, sorry! I'm guessing it will be nearer the top of the points though. Do you mind me asking what you got at AS? Is this the reason why you want to know about GCSEs?
Just to clarify, 3A at AS (I only did 3) is full marks for academics right?? Thanks :smile:
Reply 111
Original post by Dr. Django
Just to clarify, 3A at AS (I only did 3) is full marks for academics right?? Thanks :smile:

Hiya! Yep, for the GCSE OR AS level part. If you include UKCAT in with academics then I don't know how many points you'd score as the haven't really made it very clear how much weight they place on it. :smile:
Original post by Lucyloo859
Hiya! Yep, for the GCSE OR AS level part. If you include UKCAT in with academics then I don't know how many points you'd score as the haven't really made it very clear how much weight they place on it. :smile:

AWESOME!!! My UKCAT is good so (fingers crossed) I'll make it to the 1000 ps's that are read...unfortunately I'm not too sure how great my ps actualy is :/
Reply 113

At the open day they made it pretty explicit that they place "only a very minor weighting" on the UKCat.
Original post by skotch
At the open day they made it pretty explicit that they place "only a very minor weighting" on the UKCat.

Was this a recent open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115
Original post by heythere247
Was this a recent open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

14th September, so yes.
what would my academic score be?

GCSE's- 7A*, 5A's
A2 levels- A*AAB (law,chem, maths. bio)

UKCAT-708

WHAT ARE MY CHANCES??
Reply 117
I'm not exactly sure as they don't specify what points system they use within the 9 GCSE requirement, sorry! I'm guessing it will be nearer the top of the points though. Do you mind me asking what you got at AS? Is this the reason why you want to know about GCSEs?

2A's, 2B's at AS level - and not sure whether my GCSE grades are good enough in compensating for AS level grades to apply to Leeds. Leeds say 3A's at AS=9A* at GCSE
Reply 118
Original post by zog third
2A's, 2B's at AS level - and not sure whether my GCSE grades are good enough in compensating for AS level grades to apply to Leeds. Leeds say 3A's at AS=9A* at GCSE

You're in pretty much the same position as me and I'm applying. Leeds is my risky choice though! I guess you have to decide if it's worth the risk or whether you'd prefer to apply somewhere else! Your grades are very good though :smile: I guess it's a little risky with how much weight they put on the PS too, that really scares me haha!
Reply 119
Yeah it's risky - and the vast majority of people who are applying will have 3A's or better at AS level which is apparently worth more than 7A* in Leeds scoring system, so will probably go for a safer option. Thanks for the reply. Also, where else are you considering applying to if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending