The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Need some advice!

I'm currently in Year 13 and I'm thinking about applying to Kent but I've got a bit of a dilemma and could do with a bit of help!

From what I have seen on the website, the Canterbury campus and course I want to study (provided I get the grades) look absolutely amazing. However, the main drawbacks are the expense and distance. I live in the East Midlands so its around 200 miles/over 3 hours on the train away from home. I am not the most social of people and have had some mental health problems in the past so I am worried I won't fit in/regret moving far away from home. On the other hand, being so far away would mean that I would not be able to go home whenever I wanted which would mean that I'd kind of be forced to be independent and work out my problems by myself. While this is a scary thought, the fact of the matter is that I've got to be able to look after myself properly at some point, so maybe uni would be a good way to start? I've also heard living in Kent is really expensive, but is it really that much more than other unis/is it worth the extra expense? I'd also have to factor in travel costs for when I wanted to go home. There are other unis closer to home but the course/campus' don't seem as attractive to me, but I guess that could change when I go to more open days. Anyway, sorry about the long post, I just don't know what to do!

Reply 1
Well im starting later this month and im the most socially awkeward person on the planet, plus im from Newcastle! I thoughtthat was as good a reason as any to get as far away from home as possible because independence will probably help you with everything else
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by pipling
Well im starting later this month and im the most socially awkeward person on the planet, plus im from Newcastle! I thoughtthat was as good a reason as any to get as far away from home as possible because independence will probably help you with everything else

Wow, that is far a away but good for you for making such a brave decision :smile: What course are you doing out of interest?
Reply 3
Original post by xMadabix
Wow, that is far a away but good for you for making such a brave decision :smile: What course are you doing out of interest?

English and American literature :smile:
Original post by xMadabix
I'm currently in Year 13 and I'm thinking about applying to Kent but I've got a bit of a dilemma and could do with a bit of help!

From what I have seen on the website, the Canterbury campus and course I want to study (provided I get the grades) look absolutely amazing. However, the main drawbacks are the expense and distance. I live in the East Midlands so its around 200 miles/over 3 hours on the train away from home. I am not the most social of people and have had some mental health problems in the past so I am worried I won't fit in/regret moving far away from home. On the other hand, being so far away would mean that I would not be able to go home whenever I wanted which would mean that I'd kind of be forced to be independent and work out my problems by myself. While this is a scary thought, the fact of the matter is that I've got to be able to look after myself properly at some point, so maybe uni would be a good way to start? I've also heard living in Kent is really expensive, but is it really that much more than other unis/is it worth the extra expense? I'd also have to factor in travel costs for when I wanted to go home. There are other unis closer to home but the course/campus' don't seem as attractive to me, but I guess that could change when I go to more open days. Anyway, sorry about the long post, I just don't know what to do!

:hello:

The first bit of advice I give to others when thinking about going to uni is make sure you're happy with where you are going and the course you are studying! By the sounds of your post, you really have an attraction to Kent, which is a great start. :smile:
Secondly, there are plenty of others who are from as far away as you - in fact Kent (like all universities) has many international applicants - give a thought to those travelling from other countries! :p: It's not out of the question for people to visit home regularly, so you wouldn't need to worry about social pressure to not go home - and the expense may not be too bad? If you don't already get a 16-25 railcard, you can save a shedload on each journey.
Thirdly, Kent is fairly expensive but this is to be expected from the south-east. With regards to rental prices of houses off-campus it's pretty comparable to prices for students all over the country. The rent for on-campus is pretty weighty but again, most unis will charge a premium to live in their halls. Away from rent, the general cost of living isn't anything to be shocked about or fretting over :smile:
Lastly, independence. Uni is a great way to experience independence and the vast majority will be in the same boat as you - finding that looking after yourself is pretty daunting. It's a great way to start too as you go through the experience in the same boat. There is support there if you need it - the uni itself as well as the Union both provide excellent services that will help you if want help - whether that be course issues, rent problems or just general counselling.

Don't just set your heart on Kent and have a look at other unis/courses and I'll reiterate, make sure you're happy! And on top of all that, don't lose focus this year with your A2s (lots to think about eh :rolleyes: ).

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending