The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

bono
HIV.

You're not at risk of contracting HIV from giving blood, they use a new, sealed, sterile needle for every person.
Reply 41
Kurdt Morello
Good man! :smile:

Kurdt I never added you to MSN. What's your addy?
Kurdt Morello
Good man! :smile:

There's always the option of becoming a girl and still liking girls....
*puts images into Gimp's and Kurt's minds*
suspicious_fish

no thanks :tongue:
Reply 44
suspicious_fish

Heh :smile: I'm incorruptably innocent. Honest!
Kurdt Morello
no thanks :tongue:

On that subject, can I ask you a question?
Just what is it about lesbianism that men find such a turn-on?

edit: *tumbleweed.....*
suspicious_fish
You're not at risk of contracting HIV from giving blood, they use a new, sealed, sterile needle for every person.

Right.

I remember a person saying "the risk of HIV by giving blood is very small, less than it used to be", which obviously implies that there is still a risk.

But thanks anyway. :smile:
bono
Right.

I remember a person saying "the risk of HIV by giving blood is very small, less than it used to be", which obviously implies that there is still a risk.

But thanks anyway. :smile:

I would say the risk is nil, for the reasons I stated before.
Reply 48
I want to because it's a good thing to do, but I don't know why but I always go really faint when this sort of stuff happens. I'm not usually like this, I mean I can talk about it and stuff but the fact that it's my blood theyre taking, I'm quite sure I'll go all spinny if I actually do it.

In year 9 I didn't even want my blood pressure tested cos of that black thing that tightened round your arm... made me feel really weird. :confused:

Anyway I probably will, keep whatever organ that makes blood on its toes!
Reply 49
I don't think I'll be able to give blood... I have no veins, and when a vein is eventually found it is so thin and thready that it splits and gets all swollen and leaves HUGE bruises... It took three doctors and a nurse to find a vein that could actually be used...
me!
I don't think I'll be able to give blood... I have no veins, and when a vein is eventually found it is so thin and thready that it splits and gets all swollen and leaves HUGE bruises... It took three doctors and a nurse to find a vein that could actually be used...

Ouch. :frown:
suspicious_fish
I would say the risk is nil, for the reasons I stated before.

Yep. :smile:
me!

I seem to have no veins either. Last time I had to have a blood test they were prodding about in my left arm for quite a time, then they moved to my right arm where they again failed (;eaving painful bruises on both, as you say). They eventually resorted to the back of my knee, which was SERIOUSLY painful. But I'm going to at least try to give blood all the same.... least I can do, I spose.
Reply 53
I've been a regular member for a year (since I was seventeen) I'm O neg, so I always get sent things. I actually wished to be that type before I even knew, heh. And I signed up to be a bone-marrow donor last time I donated - it's all such an amazing thing to do, knowing that just as an ordinary person you can help so much :smile:
Reply 54
I'm going to give blood for the second time next Thursday. I think its very important - my Dad had cancer a while back and if someone's blood had not been available for him then he would have most likely died. He can't give blood anymore as he's had a transfusion, and had chemo and radiotherapy, however its given me the incentive to make sure someone else has a chance to live. I don't need that blood anyway, and it may save someone else. My mum has given blood about 35 times, which i think i pretty amazing.
Reply 55
They wont want me I'm anaemic also I just had glandular fever.
Reply 56
Chicken
I'm going to give blood for the second time next Thursday. I think its very important - my Dad had cancer a while back and if someone's blood had not been available for him then he would have most likely died. He can give blood anymore as he's had a transfusion, and had chemo and radiotherapy, however its given me the incentive to make sure someone else has a chance to live. I don't need that blood anyway, and it may save someone else. My mum has given blood about 35 times, which i think i pretty amazing.

Good for you - that's excellent! I'm always trying to encourage friends to donate - what's a bit of blood to us, when it could be a life to someone else, after all?

Plus you get cookies and tea afterwards :wink: Mind, I'm asking for local anasthetic next time; they always have issues with my veins, rather painful...
Reply 57
lucerna
Good for you - that's excellent! I'm always trying to encourage friends to donate - what's a bit of blood to us, when it could be a life to someone else, after all?

Plus you get cookies and tea afterwards :wink: Mind, I'm asking for local anasthetic next time; they always have issues with my veins, rather painful...

I have issues with my veins as well...last time he put the pressure thing at the top of my arm and in the end had to do it up so tight before he found a vein, by which time my entire arm had pins and needles. Then he put the needle in and i really wanted to bend my arm to get rid of the pins and needles, however i couldn;t cos i would've stabbed myself! However it hasn't put me off - i had to have a blood test last month and the nurse found a vein near straight away so hopefully they are being co-operative now! :smile:
Reply 58
zazy
It's not.. don't think soo..My sis has had 20 (or more)Lp's just a bit of a backache

ive heard if the shringe hits a nerve it can leave some1 paralised for life. well this is true for a caserian when a child is born as they have to inject into the spine then so im guessing its the same
Reply 59
zazy
Syringe into the spine i think..
I've seen an LP not sure :biggrin:

I think for bone marrow, they actually take it from your pelvis (under local or general anaesthetic). However, when you register as a bone marrow donor, they don't actually take the marrow - you can do it at the same time as giving blood, and they just take an extra blood sample during your donation. You can register at other times - I'm going to be a volunteer bone marrow counsellor, which basically means helping at donation sessions, taking people's history and talking through what it will involve if they do have to donate.

Anyway - what I was saying is - you don't have to actually give marrow at the time, it's just a blood sample. Then if you are a match for someone at any time in the future, you will be called in for the proper donation. I'd say it's definitely worth it - the more people there are on the register, the better chance of there being a match for someone. You have to be 18 though.

Bono - the risk of catching HIV from giving blood is nil, I would say, seeing as a new, sterile needle is used each time. The risk from receiving blood is also now negligible.

Latest

Trending

Trending