The Student Room Group

Computer Science and minimum grades

Hi there,

I seem to notice that the minimum grades are quite high for computer science for even the middle to lower universities. I currently study Maths, Physics and Computing all at A2 as well as extended project (programming based) and an AS in Electronics.

I gained 3 Cs in Physics Maths and Computing and D in Electronics. I think I can get at least 2 of those subjects up to a B if not A in 2 of them if im lucky.

But the universities I have been looking at and liked the look of have been around the AAB-BBB. But what I want to know is that do you think I still have a chance at these universities seeing as im doing computing and maths, physics which is not easy at all and a programming extended project?

Reply 1
If you feel you're not going to get the grades you could always apply for a foundation year, which will have lower entry requirements. You'd just spend an extra year getting up to speed with the level those starting their undergrad would be on. Although the foundation year is usually offered to people who aren't taking the prerequisite subject (ie Maths for Computer Science). You've got three very suitable subjects to study Computer Science, Maths being the key one. As long as you can get the required predicted grades and genuinely believe you can achieve those grades, I say go for it, man!
Reply 2
I honestly don't think I can make the cut though. I am sure that I can get a B in maths and computing, but physics will be a C. Do you think I would still be considered? Seeing as it is a very difficult subject.

I don't really want to do a foundation year as I would like to do an honours degree as well which would mean 5 years, which i dont really want to do

Hopefully if I get at least a C in extended project then I may still be considered for a course that is BBB

I'm sorry im rambling on a bit, but its nice to just say stuff and helps clear my head a bit.
Reply 3
Best thing to do is research the each individual university requirements as they differ. The university in my town requires a pass from an access course (which is what im doing) or a merit for computing and information systems.

Im going for the latter as that is an honors degree but failing that I could always do the foundation as it would only take an extra 18 months to convert that to an honors degree.

Best advice is to ring round and ask
Reply 4
Original post by kungfool
Best thing to do is research the each individual university requirements as they differ. The university in my town requires a pass from an access course (which is what im doing) or a merit for computing and information systems.

Im going for the latter as that is an honors degree but failing that I could always do the foundation as it would only take an extra 18 months to convert that to an honors degree.

Best advice is to ring round and ask

So I'm not 100% on what you mean by an access course. Is it a test set up by the university themselves that you take before starting, and those with the best scores get in? I've never seen this from any unis before, can you give me the names of some that do it?
Reply 5
An access course is an intensive course which simply put is 2 years of A-levels in one year. It doesn't give you full UCAS points like a levels but it is designed to get you the relevant qualification to get into University. Qualification wise its kind of the equivalent to A-level, maybe just a bit higher

For example, A-level students will have a year or two to learn networking, binary and everything else that goes with it. I have to learn how to do all that in 17 weeks. Its is a lot of hard work but worth it in the end
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I undertook a HND, which was excellent. I would definitely recommend it, this allowed me to go on to do the final year of a BSc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending