The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University: Languages Studies

Hi there!

Shortly I'll be starting a Languages Studies degree with the OU.
I've taken the English and Spanish pathway to start with but I might be starting French as a beginner next time I get to chose my modules.
I'd be interested in getting in touch with anyone studying the same course and maybe creating a group where we can support each other with the different languages/subjects.
Also, mention I'm a native Spanish speaker.

so if anyone's up for it leave a comment below and let's get in touch :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello,

I'm emma and I live jn Lincolnshire. I'm doing the same pathway as you, starting with beginners Spanish although I have a GCSE from a few years ago.

I'm doing the beginners Spanish with AA100 this year. What modules will you be taking?

Emma

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Hello,

Im taking the 30 credit French intermidate course in October :smile:

Becca
Reply 3
I've taken L140 & L185 :smile:

I assume you already have some French knowledge Becca?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I did GSCE french and started A Level French twice but both times the courses were cancelled due to low numbers :-( Can't understand why more people are intrested in learning modern languages! Think I may have bitten off more than I can chew proceding straight to intermediate level but i'm ready for the challenge. I have always picked up french very easily, Spanish on the other hand I really couldn't get my yorkshire-speaking tongue around it! Was going to take the beginners italian this year but decided to take a psychology module instead.

Ahh is L140 + L185 are the follow-up courses to L120 arn't they?
Reply 5
I'm also doing Beginners Spanish and AA100, starting in October. I didn't do Spanish at GCSE or A Level but lived in Spain last year for 5 months, everything I know is self taught.

I'm not really sure what's in store but I'm just trying to get prepared at the moment. I've been through the Induction and I'm going to order the set books next.

What do you mean by creating a group? Facebook or something else?
Hi all

I have registered on the French and Spanish pathway (90 credits). I have a GSCE in French but no prior knowledge of Spanish. I am starting off with beginners French, intermediate French and beginners Spanish.

Really excited but quite nervous as I work full time and have a toddler. I will just have to work on my time management skills! It would be nice to know some people along the way.
Reply 7
I know what you mean SummerJessica, I'm in full time employment ATM and I reckon I'll have to work on my time management skills too lol

In answer to your question RicardoDos, my suggestion of creating a group was so we'd get to practice the language/s. I don't know where you guys are from but personally I'm London based so thought maybe we could meet up sometime at one of the libraries or something and help each other out with different questions or subjects we potentially struggle with. That was my suggestion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in Salisbury but I'm more than happy to friend people on Facebook etc, I think I'm going to need all the support I can get!
I'm registered on intermediate French and German, i.e. L120 and L130. My background is A-level German and GCSE French.

Original post by SummerJessica
I'm in Salisbury but I'm more than happy to friend people on Facebook etc, I think I'm going to need all the support I can get!
Have you discovered the OU French facebook group yet?
Octopus Garden Is that the OU French Club or is there another page?

How many credits do you intend to do per year after this one?
Octopus Garden Is that the OU French Club or is there another page?

How many credits do you intend to do per year after this one?
This is L192 Bon depart group for the October 2013 start. https://www.facebook.com/groups/231883903626074/?fref=ts
This is the L120 Ouverture group for October 2013 https://www.facebook.com/groups/373498886087836/

I have very little idea how many credits I'll be doing next year. Either 30 or 60 per year.
Hi Guys, I just signed up for the Language Studies in English and French, but I am doing the access to success first, starting in February, as I haven't done french since GCSE and didn't want to be in over my head!! Any tips? Is anyone else doing the Arts and Languages access module? :smile:

Thanks,

Kirsty
Reply 13
Original post by Octopus_Garden
I'm registered on intermediate French and German, i.e. L120 and L130. My background is A-level German and GCSE French.

Salut, je suis aussi *registered* pour L120 Francais, *it seems* un peu deficile, les activities, non?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Octopus_Garden

Salut, je suis aussi *registered* pour L120 Francais, *it seems* un peu deficile, les activities, non?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Hi all

I have registered on the French and Spanish pathway (90 credits). I have a GSCE in French but no prior knowledge of Spanish. I am starting off with beginners French, intermediate French and beginners Spanish.

Really excited but quite nervous as I work full time and have a toddler. I will just have to work on my time management skills! It would be nice to know some people along the way.

Woah! Respect! :smile: I hope it goes well.
Original post by elise50

Posted from TSR Mobile

It seems okay, apart from the speaking and the listening exercises (which I found very hard!), but I'm only on the activities for week 1, so that could be why!
(edited 10 years ago)
anyone starting languages this year?
Hi Emma,

I'm Maria and I live in Lincolnshire too, I am Spanish and I am also doing the same pathway.

Maria
Reply 19
Maria where are you?

I did L194 last year, moving on to L140 this year x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest