The Student Room Group

Will I be able to get the course funded and maintenance loan?

Hiya :smile:
I'm currently in the process of finishing off an undergraduate degree with The Open University - I've studied over a 6 year period. I applied for the MMed in Speech and Language Therapy but was unfortunately declined, so have decided to apply for the BMed (undergraduate) programme. I received a student loan for the cost of funding my course but no maintenance loan with the Open University.

I'm wondering if I'll be able to get both the cost of the BMed paid for, as well as a maintenance loan? I can see that SLT is classed as a degree that's covered under the legislation for exemption of not being able to receive funds as a second degree, but wasn't sure if that meant I'd be able to get both or just one. Hope this makes sense!
Hi Katy,

You would qualify for the Tuition Fee support only for the SLT course. Thanks, Ross
Reply 2
Hi Ross,

Does that mean I wouldn't be eligible for a maintenance loan?
Original post by katy.earley
Hi Ross,

Does that mean I wouldn't be eligible for a maintenance loan?

Will your new course be at the Open University or somewhere else?
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
Will your new course be at the Open University or somewhere else?

It would be at The University of Sheffield.

I think you should be eligible for both loans but an SFE rep will be able to confirm.

Hi Katy, what is the name of the course at The University of Sheffield? Thanks, Jason
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Katy, what is the name of the course at The University of Sheffield? Thanks, Jason

From her original post it's the Speech and Language Therapy BMedSci course.

Thanks Katy,

This course attracts full funding as it's classed as an exception course. Thanks, Jason
Reply 9
Original post by SFE Jason
Thanks Katy,

This course attracts full funding as it's classed as an exception course. Thanks, Jason

Hi Jason,

Thank you! Can I clarify - does this mean my course would be fully funded and I would also be able to get a maintenance loan? 🙂
Hi Jason,

Thank you! Can I clarify - does this mean my course would be fully funded and I would also be able to get a maintenance loan? 🙂

Hi Katy,

Yes, that's right - you'll be entitled to both the Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending