The Student Room Group

Why do *you* dislike One Direction?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My opinion on music will always be about the song not the image. The music, the voice, the lyrics... And personally, they are absolutely **** singers with **** songs.

I don't hate them though. Fair play to them for becoming this successful. Anyone saying they'd turn down what they've become is a liar.
Reply 21
Original post by Plainview
This is not pretension. This is bragging. One Direction don't brag, but the are equally inane. They are as bad as everyone else (very).

It's both. I don't mind artists/ bands with little talent as long as they don't pretend they do. When **** artists act as if they're something special, a gift to us, I hate that.
Reply 22
Original post by M1011
:tongue:

Rock isn't always about sex and drugs. :ninja:
Reply 23
Like a lot of people have said,I don't hate One Direction. They're good singers and decent enough so I consider them more of a guilty pleasure but I won't go to a concert. I think what many people find annoying are the fans and I'd have to agree.
Reply 24
Original post by Ben Kenobi
Don't worry I won't judge you just because you like them.

They actually aren't that bad live though :tongue:

Original post by Picnic1
They know they aren't the Beatles'

There's my answer.

A bus driver or a 'one hit wonder band' from the 90s alike also knows that they themselves aren't The Beatles but, unlike One Direction, they probably aren't a multi millionaire in every publication or music channel at some time or other.

Is their tacky 1970s era kind of fame some kind of unconscious, belated, mass overcompensation to an embodiment of young working class/ lower middle class males both for the feminisation of the workplace and the banking crises?

Hm- don't reduce the working class to that please. 1D do not appeal solely to the working class, we aren't that pathetic as to jump on a band because they "go' famus outta nuffin".
In the past the working class have actually had a good hand in some strong music movements-punk and britpop etc . Where would the Smiths, Nirvana, Oasis etc be without the working class? That was a bit of an elitist thing to say.

I think of it like this, I like to read. I love great authors- Milton, Nabokov, Burroughs, Fitzgerald. But then I also love less talented authors, authors of romance novels who don't write anyway near as well as above, but still provide a lot of enjoyment. An easy read can sometimes but very enjoyable, music is no different.
Original post by Picnic1
They know they aren't the Beatles'

There's my answer.

A bus driver or a 'one hit wonder band' from the 90s alike also knows that they themselves aren't The Beatles but, unlike One Direction, they probably aren't a multi millionaire in every publication or music channel at some time or other.

Is their tacky 1970s era kind of fame some kind of unconscious, belated, mass overcompensation to an embodiment of young working class/ lower middle class males both for the feminisation of the workplace and the banking crises?

In the grand scheme of things, the unequal proportion of fame and riches : talent ratio of One Direction, compared to some other musicians down the decades might not be the worst thing that there can be.

But they are not The Beatles, they are not the Best of Pink Floyd, they are not The Verve, they are not a lot of things that I think constitute a good way for anyone who cares about the preservation and growth of a proper music industry to spend their musical education on this rock of Earth.

I find it hideous that you bring class into it. So British. Rock would be nowehere without the working class. This post is a vacuous load of inane babble. Yet seem to think yourself superior in mind/class/understanding of music. Reality is that you're the average boy posting comments on NME and slagging off pop.

P.s. The Verve suck.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah talking about one hit wonders and then mentioning The Verve is pretty ironic; considering their biggest hit doesn't earn them a penny as The Rolling Stones successfully sued them over the use of the string arrangement in Bittersweet Symphony.
I don't hate them, I just don't really like their music is all.
I don't know their music although I've probably heard them a few times here and there. I quite liked them during x factor though, as they seemed like nice guys enjoying themselves. I'm too old to be following bands and acting all fangirly, though if I was 13 I may have been one of them lol. But never as crazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Don't like their music at all, but I have nothing against them as people.

The thing that annoys me the most is when people say that they've worked really hard to get to where they are...

They all went on The X Factor separately and weren't good enough to proceed through to the live finals, so Simon Cowell thought it would be a great idea (for him - to make more money) by stringing them all together into one group. Fair play to him, he's probably got more than enough money to wipe his arse with now, but it doesn't sit right with me that Cowell pretty much did it for his own personal benefit.
The fact their songs are so crap. They can actually sing, so why don't they?

And they're lyrics are diabolical.

"the way you flip your hair, gets me overwhelmed" :lolwut:
Reply 31
I'm a guy and surprise people when I say that I actually like some of their music.. it is new and different to previous uk boy bands. But yh, some fans can get so aggressive and violent when you say a small remark about them (as I found out from exp). :s-smilie:
Reply 32
Original post by Tai Ga
I don't hate them. I hate their fans.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5135154/one-direction-fan-kills-dog-because-band-wont-follow-her-on-twitter.html
Reply 33
I'm going to come out and say it....

I am not a one direction fan, but if you don't like them, you are a hater, simple as that. You HAVE to admire what they are doing (prepare for a lecture), and this came to me whilst watching that documentary Mad about one direction or whatever it was called on C4, having never listened to them before.

I also know what I am about to say sounds very harsh, but it is if you think about it, very true.

Basically what these group of young guys are doing is creating music which is massively financially rewarding, because they manage to take so many young girls for a ride.
Basically if you listen to any of the songs, they are singing about how, even though the *girl* is not all that, or not the most popular, or not the most beautiful, they still want to be with her. As a consequence they have managed to get a very large amount of (sadly) young girls who are unsuccessful or undesirable to follow them fanatically, to the extent where many of them envisage that they have a relationship with them, have a favourite etc.

It's a massively brilliant thing they have done from a marketing point of view, the "stunning" girls will be going for the footballers etc, but these girls are an untapped market, and they have basically catered this market perfectly.

And that, is why you have to admire what these guys are doing.
I don't like their music. It's very generic, very girl-focused, simple and repetitive... The lyrics aren't anything special, the music itself doesn't really get me dancing or make me feel anything. They seem to have very nice voices, though.
Reply 35
Original post by StretfordEnd
Yeah talking about one hit wonders and then mentioning The Verve is pretty ironic; considering their biggest hit doesn't earn them a penny as The Rolling Stones successfully sued them over the use of the string arrangement in Bittersweet Symphony.

How is that ironic? The Verve were not one hit wonders. Maybe to some of the world they might seem that way but in 1997 they had a string of singles (and the whole of Urban Hymns is well regarded as an album), still making them today as one of the most important Britpop bands, regardless of Bittersweet Symphony.
Reply 36
Original post by SophiaKeuning
I find it hideous that you bring class into it. So British. Rock would be nowehere without the working class. This post is a vacuous load of inane babble. Yet seem to think yourself superior in mind/class/understanding of music. Reality is that you're the average boy posting comments on NME and slagging off pop.

P.s. The Verve suck.

And to you, at what point do I seem to contradict the idea that 'British rock would be nowhere without the working class'?

Do you not think that The Beatles and The Verve contained some working class people in there? John Lennon later recorded the song 'Working class hero'.

If my entire post is vacuous how come you have you have supposedly found something to argue about in it? It would have to have a valid structure for you to be able to do that, not that I think that your argument against me is itself valid as you've picked upon things that I haven't actually implied except in your misread interpretation.

So please see my words as a collection of meaningless symbols. It will help me make better sense of your reply to my post as well.

Quick Reply

Latest