The Student Room Group

Making an academic comeback halfway through second year

I'm studying medicinal bombaclat chemistry at uni.

I really dislike the degree and regret taking such a difficult subject. I took it in the first place because I did relatively well at A Level and had no clue what to do with my life... doing an academic degree seemed like a good idea at the time...

Anyways, I'm here now and I've struggled by doing the bare minimum so far, I really feel anxious about approaching an academic comeback.. lord knows I need one. To have not completely wasted 3 years of my life, I need to walk out with a 2:1l

With such a hard subject and so many complex modules, does anyone have any advice on how to structure my life to optimise this best..

Or.. is it even realistic to basically go from 0 to 2:1 halfway through my second year?

Do I need to lower my expectations?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm studying medicinal bombaclat chemistry at uni.

I really dislike the degree and regret taking such a difficult subject. I took it in the first place because I did relatively well at A Level and had no clue what to do with my life... doing an academic degree seemed like a good idea at the time...

Anyways, I'm here now and I've struggled by doing the bare minimum so far, I really feel anxious about approaching an academic comeback.. lord knows I need one. To have not completely wasted 3 years of my life, I need to walk out with a 2:1l

With such a hard subject and so many complex modules, does anyone have any advice on how to structure my life to optimise this best..

Or.. is it even realistic to basically go from 0 to 2:1 halfway through my second year?

Do I need to lower my expectations?
Hi there

I am sorry to hear that you have been struggling with the subject. Half way through year 2 still leaves you a lot of time to catch up on work and pull your grades up.

I would advise talking to your seminar leaders for tips first. They may be able to point you in the right direction (especially if you find the content hard to understand). Some tips I have found useful were to look at past exam papers, structure my revision and studies around those. Learning from feedback on previous work is also really important.

I know it may seem quite difficult to improve your grades over a short period of time, but keep going. :smile: You may want to check out your module guide: I think 3rd year may be weighed greater than 2nd year (and particular modules may matter more than others).

Good luck!
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Thanks for this Chloe, definitely very helpful to hear. Will update you how the revival goes.

Love

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending