The Student Room Group

Failed my first maths test! (79%)

So yeah, we kicked sixth form off with a maths test on algebra. Seeing as I got 91% on the algebra section in my GCSE exam, I felt pretty confident but I ended up getting 79%, and it was 80% for a pass.

:*(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by erudite
So yeah, we kicked sixth form off with a maths test on algebra. Seeing as I got 91% on the algebra section in my GCSE exam, I felt pretty confident but I ended up getting 79%, and it was 80% for a pass.

Perhaps confidence became complacency

Look at what you got wrong and make sure that you understand why
Reply 2
Original post by Dr. Django
Destroyed my rep!

Well - telling someone to "shut up" until they have done a real exam was not really supportive - was it?
Reply 3
very true, I realised I was being rude and changed it! The tone was harsher than I meant :smile: Was trying to get across that there was no need to worry

In that case - I am sorry for the neg
very true, I realised I was being rude and changed it! The tone was harsher than I meant :smile: Was trying to get across that there was no need to worry

From experience the 'first test' does a few things for both students and teachers.

For teachers:
(1) Clearly outlines those who don't have a chance
(2) Assists planning for the cohort in from of them
(3) Provides a motivational tool for them to work with students low on confidence who may have done well (and of course vice versa)

For students:
(1) Its a reality check for many who will drop and do another subject
(2) Its a chance for pupils to see where they need to develop
(3) Its a confidence booster for some.

In my previous school the first test in October was a very good tool for predicting those who would fail come the summer.

Back to the OP:
80% seems high which would suggest:
(1) The test was relatively straight forward
or
(2) Your school expects very high standards

Do you have a copy?
Original post by TenOfThem
In that case - I am sorry for the neg

Nah, its all good :biggrin:
Original post by erudite

:lol: A fail on tsr is 79%? A fail to most people is bellow a C.
Work out why you failed - was it silly mistakes or a deeper problem in terms of understanding the material, or perhaps a mixture?

Then work out how you can improve on this area: practice being careful, or go over the content you struggled with and practice until it makes sense.

You didn't fail by very much and it's only the beginning of the year, so this doesn't necessarily spell out doom. Just make sure you don't become complacent about your work and you should be fine, especially as you have done well at GCSE.

Good luck for the rest of sixth form! :smile:

Rep repaired. That TenOfThem is a real meanie.
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M

That TenOfThem is a real meanie.

Officially *sulking*
Reply 10
Better to "fail" now than in the real thing.

(assuming this isn't one of those exams where you get kicked off the course if you fail).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by erudite

Where the F do you go to school?
Original post by Blueray2
:lol: A fail on tsr is 79%? A fail to most people is bellow a C.

A fail is a fail - if the teacher says you need 80 to pass then 79 is a fail
80% is quite a high pass mark. Either the test was relatively straightforward or this Sixth Form is planning a cull.
Reply 14
Original post by erudite

Don't worry. At this point a test like that means nothing, as you said, you've just started the course, you have plenty of time to improve. Personally I improved vastly throughout the course and I see no reason why you won't too.
Reply 15
Original post by erudite

Let it spur you on to work harder for future tests. There's a big step up from GCSE to A level, and this serves as a good example of that. Being 1% from the pass mark isn't the end of the world, just remember it next time you have an exam set.
Original post by Mr M
80% is quite a high pass mark. Either the test was relatively straightforward or this Sixth Form is planning a cull.

We have an 80% pass mark on our transition unit

Mind you - they have all summer to do it
Reply 17
Original post by m4ths/maths247
From experience the 'first test' does a few things for both students and teachers.

For teachers:
(1) Clearly outlines those who don't have a chance
(2) Assists planning for the cohort in from of them
(3) Provides a motivational tool for them to work with students low on confidence who may have done well (and of course vice versa)

For students:
(1) Its a reality check for many who will drop and do another subject
(2) Its a chance for pupils to see where they need to develop
(3) Its a confidence booster for some.

In my previous school the first test in October was a very good tool for predicting those who would fail come the summer.

Back to the OP:
80% seems high which would suggest:
(1) The test was relatively straight forward
or
(2) Your school expects very high standards

Do you have a copy?

Afraid not, I only got to see the test for a brief minute since not all of the pupils in the year have taken it yet. It was mainly stuff we'd covered last year, but there were 0 method marks - all marks were awarded for answers, and there were questions which took over half a page to do (with a lot of working out) which accounted for nothing.

I guess the department are trying to push us right from now, also this has motivated me to revise/work harder right from this moment in order to get where I want to be.

On the whole the teacher said almost half the pupils taking maths (35/70) got below 80%.

Also I am one of the only ones who came from a low set at GCSE (set 3 - still got a solid A*), along with one other person who seemed to have done very badly on this test. So I guess that impacted it seeing as they'd had more practise/work last year.

Guess I just need to work harder than them!
Original post by TenOfThem
We have an 80% pass mark on our transition unit

Mind you - they have all summer to do it

Maths is a harsh mistress.
Original post by erudite
Afraid not, I only got to see the test for a brief minute since not all of the pupils in the year have taken it yet. It was mainly stuff we'd covered last year, but there were 0 method marks - all marks were awarded for answers, and there were questions which took over half a page to do (with a lot of working out) which accounted for nothing.

I guess the department are trying to push us right from now, also this has motivated me to revise/work harder right from this moment in order to get where I want to be.

On the whole the teacher said almost half the pupils taking maths (35/70) got below 80%.

Also I am one of the only ones who came from a low set at GCSE (set 3 - still got a solid A*), along with one other person who seemed to have done very badly on this test. So I guess that impacted it seeing as they'd had more practise/work last year.

Guess I just need to work harder than them!

Which school is this out of interest? (If you don't mind me asking? :smile:)

If they are willing to lose over half of their cohort they are either:
(1) Very rich
(2) Very picky and confident they are doing the right thing
(3) Allowing the wrong pupils on the course
(4)....(5)..(6) and so on

I would expect to lose no more than 20% of my pupils by the October half term.

Quick Reply

Latest