The Student Room Group

Vets that eat meat?

Vets who save an animal on the one hand and kill them on the other are perplexing and hypocritcal in my view.

Vets + some other people who eat meat tend to eat say chicken, because they say it tastes nice.

But really its because they deem that bird to be off a "lesser animal" and wont accept that when you ask them about it.

Therefore using the same argument back, dogs especially soft tender puppy meat makes tasty meat, tastes like chicken btw,
would you eat your own puppy?
I mean you would get protein from it as well as you all so badly want.

If not then you are just proving my point that you deem it to be a lesser animal. (which is what the thread is about, ie to people who don't say they are lesser animals)

If yes, well then you are not a hypocrite and I respect that, and you can join the millions of others eg Chinese etc that do. At least they are honest about it.

Note to Mods: Tell me how eating a soft tender lamb is any different to a soft tender puppy, just because one has big eyes, doesn't make it anymore worth. Please don't be a double standard hypocrite and lets engage in some real debate for once.
Original post by blueray
Vets who save an animal on the one hand and kill them on the other are perplexing and hypocritcal in my view.

Vets + some other people who eat meat tend to eat say chicken, because they say it tastes nice. Well it does taste nice.

But really its because they deem that bird to be off a "lesser animal" and wont accept that when you ask them about it. You won't get good responses if you tell people what they REALLY think, it's patronising and most people don't take well to it, please do not tell me what I think, I eat chicken yeah, want to know why? Because it tastes good, because it's cheap and because it is easily available.

Therefore using the same argument back, dogs especially soft tender puppy meat makes tasty meat, tastes like chicken btw,That may be true, but their meet is no exactly easy to buy in this country (England).
would you eat your own puppy? My own puppy no, but then again I wouldn't eat my own chicken or my own rabbit, because I would have bonded with it and it would have become a part of my family. A different puppy? I don't know maybe, depends on the circumstances because I doubt they would be selling puppy meat in tesco any time soon, and even if they did, how would the puppies had been raised? farm welfare? How would have been killed? would the puppy meat be more expensive than chicken meat? Etc.
I mean you would get protein from it as well as you all so badly want. Patronising sentence, and we don't just want protein we bloody need it, it's our own choice where we get our protein from.

If not then you are just proving my point that you deem it to be a lesser animal. (which is what the thread is about, ie to people who don't say they are lesser animals)

If yes, well then you are not a hypocrite and I respect that, and you can join the millions of others eg Chinese etc that do. At least they are honest about it.

Note to Mods: Tell me how eating a soft tender lamb is any different to a soft tender puppy, just because one has big eyes, doesn't make it anymore worth. Please don't be a double standard hypocrite and lets engage in some real debate for once.

You come across as patronising and like you know it all, it's not fun to read or argue against.
Original post by blueray

Vets + some other people who eat meat tend to eat say chicken, because they say it tastes nice.

But really its because they deem that bird to be off a "lesser animal" and wont accept that when you ask them about it.

Therefore using the same argument back, dogs especially soft tender puppy meat makes tasty meat, tastes like chicken btw,

Is this your first time trolling?

Quite clearly it isn't. I'd humor you but I really can't be bothered, I mean really. Just read this post over and try and refine your ability to bait people into arguments, you're not very good at it.
Original post by blueray

I'm going to assume you're a vegetarian...

You argument is based around taste - that's like me asking you if your mum and dad tasted like broccoli, would you eat them?

No. I would not eat a puppy I've owned and raised simply because of the sentimental attachment. I suppose I just wouldn't eat puppies in general because I've been socially conditioned to believe that puppies are bred to be kept as domestic pets whereas chickens are bred to be eaten so personally, no I wouldn't eat a puppy as the thought of it doesn't really appeal to me. But if I'd been raised in a country where eating dogs is seen in the same light as eating chickens then yeah, sure, why not, if they're being bred to be eaten then it's no different to chickens being bred to be eaten.
The title has a hypnotic, rhythmic quality to it that enticed me.
Reply 5
Vets are often complicit in the animal industry. Other than those that treat pets (an animal industry itself), vets work for people who make money from animals whether that is from their meat, other products like milk and eggs that they produce, sports such as horse/dog racing, testing of chemicals etc. So I wouldn't say that being a vet means you love animals and want them to be liberated - I think most vets have the view that animals can be used for human ends. I'm sure most people pick the career because they do like being around animals but the reality of the job is that you will be helping people who harm animals. It would be hypocritical of most vets to reject meat because it is cruel and then spend their days vaccinating animals that will later be killed for their meat.
Reply 6
Original post by Felix Felicis
I'm going to assume you're a vegetarian...

You argument is based around taste - that's like me asking you if your mum and dad tasted like broccoli, would you eat them?

No. I would not eat a puppy I've owned and raised simply because of the sentimental attachment. I suppose I just wouldn't eat puppies in general because I've been socially conditioned to believe that puppies are bred to be kept as domestic pets whereas chickens are bred to be eaten so personally, no I wouldn't eat a puppy as the thought of it doesn't really appeal to me. But if I'd been raised in a country where eating dogs is seen in the same light as eating chickens then yeah, sure, why not, if they're being bred to be eaten then it's no different to chickens being bred to be eaten.

Well said, at least you give a reason and admit the reasoning behind it.

Original post by ArtGoblin
Vets are often complicit in the animal industry. Other than those that treat pets (an animal industry itself), vets work for people who make money from animals whether that is from their meat, other products like milk and eggs that they produce, sports such as horse/dog racing, testing of chemicals etc. So I wouldn't say that being a vet means you love animals and want them to be liberated - I think most vets have the view that animals can be used for human ends. I'm sure most people pick the career because they do like being around animals but the reality of the job is that you will be helping people who harm animals. It would be hypocritical of most vets to reject meat because it is cruel and then spend their days vaccinating animals that will later be killed for their meat.

First part sums it up nicely, but the second part...what? How does a vaccinated puppy that dies when it becomes a old dog get turned to meat?
Reply 7
Original post by SophieSmall
You come across as patronising and like you know it all, it's not fun to read or argue against.

When you said "A different puppy? I don't know maybe, depends on the circumstances"
So you would actually consider eating a puppy?!
Well that's the kind of people we have in this world...
(at least you admit it)
But seriously thanks for your contribution I'll try to be less blunt in my next post for you.
Reply 8
Original post by blueray

First part sums it up nicely, but the second part...what? How does a vaccinated puppy that dies when it becomes a old dog get turned to meat?

Not all vets just look after pets. A lot of them work for farms where they will be vaccinating cows, chickens etc. who will later be used for meat.
They get paid for doing a service, they're beliefs and lifestyles have nothing to do with the job.
Original post by blueray
When you said "A different puppy? I don't know maybe, depends on the circumstances"
So you would actually consider eating a puppy?!
Well that's the kind of people we have in this world...
(at least you admit it)
But seriously thanks for your contribution I'll try to be less blunt in my next post for you.

Yes it depends on the circumstances, your response was rubbish by the way you barely tried to argue against any of my points. And yeah that is the world we live in, sometimes that may be the only or most reliable food available, sometimes it may be cultural etc.

Pretty obvious you're going into a little strop because we didn't all want to suddenly turn vegetarian and free all the chickens.

Edit: Also maybe some stuff you hadn't bothered to think of:
1) If we were to all stop eating meat hundreds of farm animal species would go extinct as there would be no one or no reason to raise and breed them any more.
2) The amount of space and resources that would be needed to feed the entire population purely on vegetative sources would be massive, and very difficult to sustain and achieve not to mention this would further ruin habitats and even more things like pesticides and fertiliser will be leaked into our soils and water.

There are probably more points I have forgotten to mention, but I'm hungry and going to make a bacon toastie.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by SophieSmall
Yes it depends on the circumstances, your response was rubbish by the way you barely tried to argue against any of my points. And yeah that is the world we live in, sometimes that may be the only or most reliable food available, sometimes it may be cultural etc.

Pretty obvious you're going into a little strop because we didn't all want to suddenly turn vegetarian and free all the chickens.

Edit: Also maybe some stuff you hadn't bothered to think of:
1) If we were to all stop eating meat hundreds of farm animal species would go extinct as there would be no one or no reason to raise and breed them any more.
2) The amount of space and resources that would be needed to feed the entire population purely on vegetative sources would be massive, and very difficult to sustain and achieve not to mention this would further ruin habitats and even more things like pesticides and fertiliser will be leaked into our soils and water.

There are probably more points I have forgotten to mention, but I'm hungry and going to make a bacon toastie.

1)No we don't eat pandas they are not extinct, go to a zoo.
2) No. You use up MORE land to make feed for animals than food for humans.
Original post by blueray
1)No we don't eat pandas they are not extinct, go to a zoo.
2) No. You use up MORE land to make feed for animals than food for humans.

Uhh what have pandas got to do with farm animals raised for meat? Clear troll.
Reply 13
One person less eating meat is a drop in the ocean. While some vets will stop on principle, most won't because they don't want to undergo a big lifestyle change for a statistically insignificant outcome.
(edited 10 years ago)
Going by the number of red gems you possess, you're clearly a troll so really I shouldn't be giving you the time of day. However, I'm going to reply to you as I'm always up for a debate.

Okay, your first point:

Original post by blueray

Firstly, what do you mean by this? Killing animals for food (I doubt many vets actually kill the food they eat) or putting animals down? You have to realise that in veterinary terms, some animals will make a recovery and some will not. You have to give everything a chance, and if it's getting worse and you've tried everything you can, then surely it's better to give something a quick, painless death than leave it to die over a period of days-weeks, in agony?

Secondly:

Original post by blueray

Vets who eat meat, such as chicken like you've used in your example, eat it as a food. They don't eat it as a pet... You use a puppy as an example, stating it's a pet so your argument makes no sense. Plus, chickens have a shorter life span than dogs, and you're eating a fully grown chicken, not a chick. So comparing a puppy (ie a baby) and a chicken (ie an adult) is totally ridiculous anyway. Most people have the idea that if the animal has had a good life then it's not as bad... (and before you use lamb as a counter argument, lambs are kept for a good 8 months before they're slaughtered so yes, it's not a massively long time, but it's still lengthier than a puppy would be). Lambs are very nearly adults when slaughtered too, by the way.

Original post by blueray

In the UK dogs are considered pets, and chickens as farm animals in most circumstances. Of course, due to the detached nature most people have in this country, they will see chicken as a foodstuff rather than a cute little pet... In China they clearly see dogs as foodstuffs, rather than pets in this circumstance. My issue with dog farming in China is the disgusting conditions these animals are often kept in. Of course, I'd prefer it if they didn't eat dogs but if it's done in a humane way they I can't exactly demand them not to because of my Westernised values.

I live on a farm so I see lambs being sent to market quite reguarly. I also see calves being sold at market (albeit for further grazing, then eventual slaughter). Do I eat lamb or beef? No. Why? Because a lot of these animals I've brought up as pets, essentially.
However, I also can see that it is a business and although it's not a nice thing to think about, people want to eat them and we provide them for that purpose. I cannot stop, and don't want to stop people eating animals. It's life, everyone is allowed to make their own choices.

To be perfectly honest, I don't even see what you're trying to debate (the argument you put forward was terribly written). That above was my attempt at trying to understand but please excuse me if I've misunderstood you, it's quite hard to follow what you're trying to say.
Reply 15
Original post by snailsareslimy
Going by the number of red gems you possess, you're clearly a troll so really I shouldn't be giving you the time of day. However, I'm going to reply to you as I'm always up for a debate.

Okay, your first point:

Firstly, what do you mean by this? Killing animals for food (I doubt many vets actually kill the food they eat) or putting animals down? You have to realise that in veterinary terms, some animals will make a recovery and some will not. You have to give everything a chance, and if it's getting worse and you've tried everything you can, then surely it's better to give something a quick, painless death than leave it to die over a period of days-weeks, in agony?

Secondly:

Vets who eat meat, such as chicken like you've used in your example, eat it as a food. They don't eat it as a pet... You use a puppy as an example, stating it's a pet so your argument makes no sense. Plus, chickens have a shorter life span than dogs, and you're eating a fully grown chicken, not a chick. So comparing a puppy (ie a baby) and a chicken (ie an adult) is totally ridiculous anyway. Most people have the idea that if the animal has had a good life then it's not as bad... (and before you use lamb as a counter argument, lambs are kept for a good 8 months before they're slaughtered so yes, it's not a massively long time, but it's still lengthier than a puppy would be). Lambs are very nearly adults when slaughtered too, by the way.

In the UK dogs are considered pets, and chickens as farm animals in most circumstances. Of course, due to the detached nature most people have in this country, they will see chicken as a foodstuff rather than a cute little pet... In China they clearly see dogs as foodstuffs, rather than pets in this circumstance. My issue with dog farming in China is the disgusting conditions these animals are often kept in. Of course, I'd prefer it if they didn't eat dogs but if it's done in a humane way they I can't exactly demand them not to because of my Westernised values.

I live on a farm so I see lambs being sent to market quite reguarly. I also see calves being sold at market (albeit for further grazing, then eventual slaughter). Do I eat lamb or beef? No. Why? Because a lot of these animals I've brought up as pets, essentially.
However, I also can see that it is a business and although it's not a nice thing to think about, people want to eat them and we provide them for that purpose. I cannot stop, and don't want to stop people eating animals. It's life, everyone is allowed to make their own choices.

To be perfectly honest, I don't even see what you're trying to debate (the argument you put forward was terribly written). That above was my attempt at trying to understand but please excuse me if I've misunderstood you, it's quite hard to follow what you're trying to say.

You make assumptions based on red gems? Read my sig.
Also tell me why euthansia is banned in this country, because you cant just kill someone because they are in pain, cures can be discovered.

Quick Reply

Latest