The Student Room Group

"Looks can open doors, but personality can keep them open".

How much would you say you agree with this statement? :smile:

EDIT: To be honest I think this is usually true unless you made friends with someone first & wooed them with your personality or something along those lines.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

"Lead them by the dick and keep them with the personality" - not me.

Yea, I agree with it but personality can open doors too. The same way looks and personality can close doors.

However, this thread might be filled with people complaining about how everyone is really shallow just because they find a person attractive before talking to them. Y'know the whole 'personality is more important than looks blah blah blah blah' while being the same judgemental people they dislike.
Reply 2
Both matter and singly or together help you get on in life - along with intelligence. There is nothing more powerful than a beautiful intelligent girl with a delightful personality. An attractive person will be given the benefit of any doubt about personality for longer.
Original post by Multitalented me

Totally. If I had to rely on looks alone, there's no way I would be in a relationship with my boyfriend. He's a bit over 6ft, conventionally attractive, exceptionally intelligent... a good catch in all the ways that matter.

I'm a kind-of scrappy 5'7 guy, a bit quirky and a total geek. It's definitely personality and the fact that we're well-suited temperamentally that got me a date, and it all went from there
Reply 4
there are many types of doors in this world; locked doors, doors slightly ajar, revolving doors, doors that are not actually doors but are in fact walls .... hmmm
Original post by Alexok
Its weird because it looks as if people associate good looks with bad personality; but i believe good looking people have a nicer personality

You're making the same mistake you're criticising. Generalising people by saying 'if you look a certain way you act a certain way' which isn't particularly helpful.
It depends how socially retarded you are

10/10 facial aesthetics, king of social retards reporting in
I agree.

Imo, only looks can open the door. Looks are directly proportional to how wide this door opens. So if a chick can't open the door initially, no amount of personality can open it. Personality then makes the final adjustments. Either further opening the door or shutting it.
Reply 8
Original post by Alexok
Its weird because it looks as if people associate good looks with bad personality; but i believe good looking people have a nicer personality

Wrong..
Reply 9
Original post by Multitalented me

Good statement my ex used to say something similar to yours " Beauty gets attention personality captures the heart"
Reply 10
Completely agree.
Reply 11
Yeah I agree. Both personality and appearance are important in compatibility but physical attractiveness is much quicker to identify and the effects hit you much faster so it tends to be the aspect you use to initially separate unsuitable individuals from potential partners. You can identify someone as attractive in seconds and feeling physically attracted to someone is a strong often immediate feeling. Being attracted to someone's personality takes a lot longer as it takes more time to get to know them and the feelings it causes tend to be spread across a longer time period. It is inefficient to get to know everyone and judge by personality when you can remove many people immediately just by looking so it makes sense appearance comes into effect before personality.
(edited 10 years ago)
100% agree.
Statement is correct in every way
OP, I think a girl told you a lie.
Reply 15
I've literally been reading the thread title as "Locks can open doors..." for about five minutes and just sat here in a state of confusion.

:getmecoat:
Original post by nopenopenope
It depends how socially retarded you are

10/10 facial aesthetics, king of social retards reporting in

I really wanna see your face now.
It isn't true for me at all. I never judge anyone by how attractive they are and I never thought people did that at all until I met my boyfriend. I talked to him a lot about it and he makes it sound like it's something he can't really control.

Edit: I'm not talking about romantic relationships.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by yepyepyep
I really wanna see your face now.

tfw dont know u irl

would snapchat the **** out of u if I did/10

We could rule the world
I agree and disagree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending