The Student Room Group

Does it sound like I got the job? Boots interview 2013.

Okok, I shall run everyone through what happened.

Basically, I had an interview at boots today, I arrived 15 minutes early but was told to come back at the exact time as the manager was in a conference so I just looked around the store to see where everything was.

When she came down we went up to the office where she asked me a few questions such as why I want to work at boots and what I would do in certain situations. The situations involved a teenager who was having problems with dry hair and had never used a conditioner before. (Mentioned on other TSR threads) I answered saying that I would recommend the teenager to buy a conditioner for dry hair, maybe in a travel sized bottle since she hadn't tried it. The next question asked "The teenager is open to trying other haircare products, what would you recommend to their dry hair? I said perhaps a deep conditioning treatment and a serum. She asked about my chosen product and I spoke about it for about a minute. (I was caught a bit off guard here because I thought I'd have to take her to it on the shop floor, but I just had to talk about it from memory)

The rest of the stuff on the sales floor was a bit muddled because there weren't many customers at all and the interviewer wasn't sure of where to put me. But she introduced me to the team and I worked behind the till for a bit and offered bags to people whilst the manager observed. (scary) I got on well with the girl behind the counter and the girls there were joking around a lot and the manager said "You may as well see all this now rather than when you work here" (Does this mean she had me in mind already? lol *overthinks*) Also the women there seemed very enthusiastic about me being there and saying that I should be fine if I make an impression on the manager and saying "hopefully" when someone asked if I was a new employee here.

There weren't many customers so I got taken on to the next task which was taking her to a boots own brand product and talking about it, which I didn't expect at all. I managed to talk for about a minute about boots cleansing wipes. Next was the the aisle tidying task. She asked me the questions that I was prepared for from reading them on these forums. She asked what I would do to tidy it up etc and I said I would pull all the items to the front and make sure that the prices were correct etc. Then she gave me 5 minutes to tidy up the area and seemed impressed when she came back.

After that she just said "Ok I'll give you 10 minutes now to just use your initiative and do whatever you want, you can tidy shelves or work behind the till with the girls" There weren't many customers so I thought that standing behind the till would look lazy, so I went around the shop tidying the shelves and asking customers if they needed help. Most of them said no but one woman said yes. She asked me a very specific question about a product that I wasn't sure about, so I asked one of the girls behind the counter and left her with them since they knew. I continued tidying shelves until the manager came and found me and we went back up to the office to talk about hours etc. She basically kept saying "That was a really good interview" and at the end said "We will get back to you ASAP. We still have interviews on the rest of the week, but this was a great interview so honestly I'd say you have nothing to worry about." < Is this just her being nice or is she heavily considering me? She also started asking me where I got my eyebrows done saying she loved them and that my new hair colour really suited me, she was shocked at my bleach blonde passport photo lol :tongue: So I seemed to do well and got on well with her and the rest of the staff. She also seemed impressed that I went to another member of staff about that customer since I would have given them information that may not have been right. (seems like common sense but yno)
She started telling me about another thing that boots were doing. I mentioned that I read up on beauty blogs and youtubers and she said that boots were looking for people to review their cosmetics on a blog and that I could maybe ""do that on the side as well" if I was interested.

Sorry if this looked rushed or wasn't informative enough, just rushing this in because I want to know what people think lol! :smile:

x
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, it looks like you've got it!
If you get on well with the staff and interviewer, you're waaay more likely to get the job. You also demonstrated initiative and good skills so there's no reason why not!

Congratulations!
Reply 2
Original post by zedaa
Yeah, it looks like you've got it!
If you get on well with the staff and interviewer, you're waaay more likely to get the job. You also demonstrated initiative and good skills so there's no reason why not!

Congratulations!

I hope so anyway! I just wanted other people's opinions really in case I was just getting my hopes up, but I'm glad to know that someone else thinks I have a strong chance too! ^_^
Reply 3
That sounds really good. I've been there about a month now and everything you said you did sounds just right. My interview was really similar to yours, at the end of it she said the same thing - "We have a few more interviews but I don't think you have anything to worry about", except she then went on to say "actually instead of keeping you waiting I'll tell you now you have the job" :tongue:

I'd say you have a reaaally strong chance. Out of interest, is it the Christmas Operations team you've applied for or something else?
Reply 4
Original post by JosephNV
That sounds really good. I've been there about a month now and everything you said you did sounds just right. My interview was really similar to yours, at the end of it she said the same thing - "We have a few more interviews but I don't think you have anything to worry about", except she then went on to say "actually instead of keeping you waiting I'll tell you now you have the job" :tongue:

I'd say you have a reaaally strong chance. Out of interest, is it the Christmas Operations team you've applied for or something else?

That sounds great, I hope I get it anyway. Did they call you back to let you know you got it for sure? Like how did they follow up with you and how long did they take to get in touch after the interview?

I applied for Sales Assistant, not the Christmas one though although they were interviewing for that position too, so I guess two positions are available. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by miauu
That sounds great, I hope I get it anyway. Did they call you back to let you know you got it for sure? Like how did they follow up with you and how long did they take to get in touch after the interview?

I applied for Sales Assistant, not the Christmas one though although they were interviewing for that position too, so I guess two positions are available. :smile:

I'm sure you will :smile: She actually arranged my induction date and all that at the end of the interview so no call was necessary but in your case they'll have to give you a call to sort that out.

Ah, I see. They're pretty particular about departments - if you're on till then that's that, and if you're working on the operations team then stock is literally all you do - except if it gets reaaal busy and the till bell rings (that's why all staff have to do till training on their inductions)

Fortunately I made friends with our tills manager so i get ops shifts and till shifts, I imagine eventually you'll get to mix it up a bit.

You're really lucky to have found a permanent position suitable for you -
I'm just hoping to be made permanent!

Let us know how you get on :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by JosephNV
I'm sure you will :smile: She actually arranged my induction date and all that at the end of the interview so no call was necessary but in your case they'll have to give you a call to sort that out.

Ah, I see. They're pretty particular about departments - if you're on till then that's that, and if you're working on the operations team then stock is literally all you do - except if it gets reaaal busy and the till bell rings (that's why all staff have to do till training on their inductions)

Fortunately I made friends with our tills manager so i get ops shifts and till shifts, I imagine eventually you'll get to mix it up a bit.

You're really lucky to have found a permanent position suitable for you -
I'm just hoping to be made permanent!

Let us know how you get on :smile:

Oh no, it isn't a permanent position unfortunately. :frown: Still temporary, just not the Christmas one. Hopefully there will be an opportunity for it to become permanent. She told me I'd be doing a bit of everything though. (Computer delivery stuff, operations, restocking, tils) So that would be interesting. Really hope I get it.
Reply 7
I didn't get the job... Not sure why they would heavily imply that I was going to get it, then reject me 6 days later. Weird and disappointing. :dong:
Reply 8
Original post by miauu
I didn't get the job... Not sure why they would heavily imply that I was going to get it, then reject me 6 days later. Weird and disappointing. :dong:

That's why you should NEVER presume you have the job. The only way you know you have it is when they offer you the job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I there, I have an interview for a boots Christmas position next week and was just reading your post on what to expect, I'm really nervous, did they ask you stuff about the advantage card? Do I need to learn all of that stuff? And did they make you go and find a product in the store that they named?

Also, when you had to talk about boots own products, what did you say? I find it so hard to think on my feet, any advice would be grateful, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Smartcook
That's why you should NEVER presume you have the job. The only way you know you have it is when they offer you the job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't presume, I just was very hopeful since they heavily implied that I would get it. Not sure why they would bother hinting like that if they weren't 100% sure. A bit silly. :unimpressed:
Reply 11
Original post by BowsAndBats
I there, I have an interview for a boots Christmas position next week and was just reading your post on what to expect, I'm really nervous, did they ask you stuff about the advantage card? Do I need to learn all of that stuff? And did they make you go and find a product in the store that they named?

Also, when you had to talk about boots own products, what did you say? I find it so hard to think on my feet, any advice would be grateful, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are a few other posts on here that are more detailed, but no, they didn't ask about the advantage card. When I was working behind the till, they said I should ask people if they had one, but I wasn't there long enough to ask anyone. It's best to have a look at the advantage card FAQ online in case though. They asked me to describe a product of my choice, then later on she told me to take her to a Boots own brand product and talk about it to her, which I did too. So maybe look at a couple of products that you are comfortable talking about, preferably both boots brand in case.

I just said that the product (face wipes) was good for in the morning (for cleaning your face) or at night (for talking off makeup) and that it is good for all skin types. I said it was unisex as the packaging was green and it wouldn't look obnoxious or too feminine sitting in a bathroom. I think that was about it really. They will ask you how you would sell it to a young customer and an old customer. I just said that it is cleansing so it would help a teenager to clear up spots, and that it's good for an older person as they may wear makeup everyday.
I've already had my interview for the Marble Arch store in LDN my role would be Hair Advisor/Stylist. Question I've got is I've now got a meeting with the area manager (not been offered the job yet) and just wondered if anyone else has had this and what I should expect. Its tomorrow, help! haha.
Reply 13
Original post by JohannaBeat
I've already had my interview for the Marble Arch store in LDN my role would be Hair Advisor/Stylist. Question I've got is I've now got a meeting with the area manager (not been offered the job yet) and just wondered if anyone else has had this and what I should expect. Its tomorrow, help! haha.

No idea, sorry :frown: Let us know what happens though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi yeah it went well was a meeting with the Bumble&Bumble + Ojon Area Manager and the Marble Arch Store Manager (meeting was at Oxford St store) basically asked me more questions about me, my hairdressing experience why I want to move from salon to counter etc what I know about the ranges and then they told me about the role what I'd be doing and my responsibilities the training they provide etc and then we went downstairs and I had to "traffic stop" when you approach people with a particular product and try and get people interested and possibly sell it. I got a sale from the first customer! Hahahaa :biggrin: so hopefully that bodes well I didn't get any more though. Will hear back in 1-3 weeks so fingers crossed! Was so nerve wracking my mouth was like the Sahara !

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just had my interview for boots for a Christmas sales assistant position, I turned up 15 minutes early so I could have a look around the shop floor and knew where everything was, and I found my product that I wanted to talk about and saw it was on special offer so I knew I should mention it.

Then I went up and had to sit in the staff room, the manager was supposed to come and get me, but he didn't show after 10 minutes so one of the girls said she would go and get him, still nothing after another 10 minutes. Then 5 minutes later the assistant manager came and got me and brought me into a room to talk, she took my passport to photocopy and sat with me. Since 25 minutes had passed from the hour she started with the questions.

First basis stuff, confirming the position I applied for and if I could do the hours. Then it was stuff about my previous retail experience and how I could use that, and when I had to do certain things such as "help a customer in need," "help someone in your team" "when you had to motivate someone" "how would you sell a specific product to a customer" etc. Then she asked more questions where I had to give specific examples about something such as how I fixed a mistake I made, how I looked after someone I was working with, how I would develop new skills.

She asked about 25 questions in total and she said that there was no need to go on the shop floor as she already had all the information she needed and time was running out. She said they would contact me within a few days.

I think I did pretty good as I used my previous experience in retail to help me.

Has anyone else had an interview at boots like this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miauu

It's happened to me dozens of times. They got free work out of you.
Bows and Bats, that is a LOT of questions. Normally they only pick a few to ask you but sounds like she asked you the whole list! Good luck fingers crossed for you!

I got my position as Hair Advisor and start in November at the Oxford Street store until the Marble Arch branch is re-opened after its refurb. Very nervous about starting, hoping I can fulfil everything thats expected of me!
Reply 18
I just had an interview for the Christmas temp position about three days ago. The manager who interviewed me said she'd let me know by Wednesday as she had two more interviews on the day and about six more on Tuesday! I am so nervous I think I did pretty well at the interview questions and on the shop floor but I am so worried as I really would love to work there!! (THE PAY IS AMAZING!!) It's only been three days and it feels like forever I just want to know if I have it or not!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by zarabannu
I just had an interview for the Christmas temp position about three days ago. The manager who interviewed me said she'd let me know by Wednesday as she had two more interviews on the day and about six more on Tuesday! I am so nervous I think I did pretty well at the interview questions and on the shop floor but I am so worried as I really would love to work there!! (THE PAY IS AMAZING!!) It's only been three days and it feels like forever I just want to know if I have it or not!!

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me out, I applied for an Xmas temp job at boots on Friday and completed the assessment on Saturday, I was wondering if you could tell me how long it was before boots contacted you saying that you had passed the assessment and invited you to an interview?
Thanks- Elly :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending