The Student Room Group

HELP! im a 19 year old in tears.

In 19, nearly 20, and male. I've started my dream Uni after getting AAA. however I am so homesick.
I miss my two nephews, who i have seen everyday since I was 11.
I still remember the day new life was brought into our home, after 8 years of seeing them, I now am so sad, boarding depressed. We used to play everyday, and I always used to help with homework and motivate the boys to read. I feel that i have lost everything.

I dont feel that i can continue uni. Ive already taken a gap year, before start of A levels.
- where can I get help?
- should I start another Ucas application? - How do i get another reference?

Scroll to see replies

How far do you study from home? Could you go back at the weekend? If not, you could skype your family so you don't miss them as much.
Reply 2
Original post by wartortle
In 19, nearly 20, and male. I've started my dream Uni after getting AAA. however I am so homesick.
I still remember the day new life was brought into our home, after 8 years of seeing them, I now am so sad, boarding depressed. We used to play everyday, and I always used to help with homework and motivate the boys to read. I feel that i have lost everything.

I dont feel that i can continue uni. Ive already taken a gap year, before start of A levels.
- where can I get help?

*face palm* listen buddy, not EVERYONE gets enrolled into their dream uni like you did with good grades

you miss your nephews, are home sick..its all natural but COME ON! act mature
who doesn't want to make a future ASAP?
will you ruin it for a bunch of kids and babysitting?
ok , you miss them....why not Skype them daily? talk to them on the phone but PLEASE dont childishly ruin your future which is hell more important!
Reply 3

- where can I get help?

If you have a personal tutor at university, you could consider speaking to them to see whether there are counsellors or support groups within the university. Alternatively, there is likely to be a GP at your university/in the local area you can visit to discuss the issues your having. They may decide to refer you to a counsellor/clinical psychologist/psychiatrist if they think it's necessary.

However, you haven't been at university for long and it's normal to be homesick when you're in a new environment, particularly when you've left behind close relatives such as your nephews. Why don't you stick it out for a while to see whether the homesickness decreases? Perhaps you could speak to your nephews on over the phone or using Skype. It would be a shame to leave your dream university simply because you're feeling homesick.

Think about how happy your nephews will be when they watch you graduate. You never know - you might be their inspiration to go to university!
Reply 4

- where can I get help?

As the poster above said, you can visit your family on weekends or do video chat with them.
Look, your family will not be happy to see you drop out of your dream university because of them. And you have to understand that you will not always be with your family; acquaint yourself to that idea. Best wishes man.
Reply 5
Original post by Hellcat12
*face palm* listen buddy, not EVERYONE gets enrolled into their dream uni like you did with good grades

you miss your nephews, are home sick..its all natural but COME ON! act mature
who doesn't want to make a future ASAP?
will you ruin it for a bunch of kids and babysitting?
ok , you miss them....why not Skype them daily? talk to them on the phone but PLEASE dont childishly ruin your future which is hell more important!

I face time them regulary, but this makes me want to go home more, I never fought I would he in this situation.
Reply 6
Original post by Temmystical
As the poster above said, you can visit your family on weekends or do video chat with them.
Look, your family will not be happy to see you drop out of your dream university because of them. And you have to understand that you will not always be with your family; acquaint yourself to that idea. Best wishes man.

The problem with face timing them, makes me miss them more,
dont drop out of uni. how far do you live away from hhome?
Term has only just started, so it is possible that you might adjust in a few weeks.

It would also be possible now to transfer to a university in or near to your home town. If you want to do this then you have to act fast.

I suggest that you make an appointment with your Uni counselling service: do so TODAY. A discussion with a professional counsellor should enable you to work out whether you are likely to adjust to being away, or would be happier living close to home. Really, either option is fine: just depends on the individual. OK, maybe your hometown university has a lower reputation than your "dream" one, but happy people study more effectively than depressed ones, and a good degree class from an average university will give you more of a future than a poor result from an elite institute.

I just want to stress that if you choose to move closer to home, you have to get things in motion very quickly.
I've been there really I have I originally went to uni at 19 nearly 20 and felt so unhappy I don't think 1 week went by where something made me cry be it not understanding a lecture being dropped off after the weekend (I spent everyone at home) or just sheer homesickness in short I wasn't ready sounds to me like your not either I left just after christmas after a melt down at a family gathering. Everyone had been saying hoes uni after a few days of lying saying it was all good. When my Uncle asked me I said that I might just leave because I was so unhappy I went back just so I could ask my tutor how to leave I then went through UCAS again and joind my brother a year later at solent where I spent 4 very happy years .

That said it is the start of the year it could take a bit to adjust give ot 6 weeks if you still feel the same leave and go somewhere else you do feel happy at don't get hung up on league tables they mean nothing and good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
With all due respect didn't you know it would be like this before you left? You're grades etc show you are clearly intelligent, it's normal to miss family etc but you will get over it
not to be nasty but grow up

the real world is like this, its not even 'your' kids just your family or are you planning on living with them forever because the big world is too lonely???

you have been there a whole two weeks and your planning on packing in, that annoys me because someone who is committed could of took your place at uni
Reply 12
Stick with it!

You just have to look through the threads to see that there are many people who are also struggling to adapt, its normal, natural, and totally understandable.

Get out and join some clubs and societies, see the towns near you, play some sport or see some films or something. Gather some experience and observations that you can share.

Then book some Skype time with your family and you will have some things to share enthusiastically with them. When you see how proud your nephews are it will help. You will be an amazing role model for them, work hard and you can achieve great things like uncle wartortle, have a fab university experience, get a great degree and a great job....

You can send them postcards, they dont need to say much, your nephews are still young and will appreciate a short funny story from you, even just a quick note to say you have a lecturer that looks like Wolverine, or someone found a mouse in their welly, or something, do you see what I mean, you can maintain a great relationship with them by staying connected like this. Then you can spend time settling in knowing that they will get your note in a day or two and laugh and talk about how fab you are and how its awesome that you have done so well.

Chin up, thousands of people are feeling just like you right now. Thousands did last year too, and the year before that....and things improve, emotions settle and it all turns out cool. Throw yourself into it, its getting better each day just let it in.
Reply 13
I face time them regulary, but this makes me want to go home more, I never fought I would he in this situation.

how about you take a little break from study for a few hours
lie somewhere comfy and think what do you want for YOURSELF

should you be taking advantage from your uni or should you go back and mingle with kids?

you will get over it
feeling homesick is pretty natural for newbies but if they start taking it too seriously, they end up either patients of depression or ruining the futures they foresaw as "BRIGHT"
so relax, indulge in uni activites, hang out, make friends
have fun...think positive
go for MUNS!
do what you are best at and dont think about homesickness much
just act normal, you dont want to make a fool of yourself do you?
people will make fun of you if they found why you left your dream uni.
and i mean it...if you dont believe me...go for it...and see the result

just stop worrying about it much :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Hellcat12
how about you take a little break from study for a few hours
lie somewhere comfy and think what do you want for YOURSELF

should you be taking advantage from your uni or should you go back and mingle with kids?

you will get over it
feeling homesick is pretty natural for newbies but if they start taking it too seriously, they end up either patients of depression or ruining the futures they foresaw as "BRIGHT"
so relax, indulge in uni activites, hang out, make friends
have fun...think positive
go for MUNS!
do what you are best at and dont think about homesickness much
just act normal, you dont want to make a fool of yourself do you?
people will make fun of you if they found why you left your dream uni.
and i mean it...if you dont believe me...go for it...and see the result

just stop worrying about it much :smile:

Thanks, the thing is that, I've met a lot of people for the last 2 weeks, joined my clubs I enjoy, but still I cry every night.
People say I need to man up, but when my dad died when I was 11, I did not cry, as I knew I needed to be a man! Before every A level exam, I used to go and just talk to my nephews in the morning, and I lost any fear I had, I came out super confident to do well. I don't think I can do it with out them.
Reply 15
Thanks, the thing is that, I've met a lot of people for the last 2 weeks, joined my clubs I enjoy, but still I cry every night.
People say I need to man up, but when my dad died when I was 11, I did not cry, as I knew I needed to be a man! Before every A level exam, I used to go and just talk to my nephews in the morning, and I lost any fear I had, I came out super confident to do well. I don't think I can do it with out them.

there is nothing shameful about crying
it washes away the worst of feelings
and i understand your condition
when you are close to someone..very close, everyone goes through what you do but the prudent and wise ones always move on and try to get over the depression.

how far do they live from you?
Reply 16

- where can I get help?

ur going through a phase it will pass then something else will it take its place..... thats called life son
Reply 18
Will you go to your nephews for every problem you have?? im sure this is an unhealthy attachment as your relying on them to get you through the day. When they are 15 or 16 they will be distant and typical teenagers and probably wouldn't want to know.
Umm move to an AAA uni near home so you can commute?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending