The Student Room Group

Medicine work experiences 2015

Hey everyone

I've just started year 12 and I will be apply for Medicine next year. This summer I did 2 weeks work experience at my local Lloyds Pharmacy (I was unable to get any hospital based work experience in the summer), during the coming October half-term I will be doing a weeks work experience at my local GP surgery.
In november I will be doing two week work experience at my local hospital and next year I am planning to attend the UCL hospital summer school week which involves work experience and medicine based seminars etc.
I also plan to do a months work experience next summer at a nursing home possibly and during the course of year 13 I will be volunteering once a week at my local hospital. (I have already contacted my hospital and they are ready to take me at any time)

To recap, these are my planned work experiences -

1. Lloyds Pharmacy (2 weeks)
2. GP surgery (1 week)
3. Hospital work Experience (2 weeks)
4. UCL Hospital work experience course (1 week)
5. Nursing home (possibly? 1 month)
6. Hospital weekly volunteering (at least 5 months)

I am hoping to apply to Imperial, UCL, Kings College London and Queen Mary. I somewhat chose to do some work experience at a pharmacy since my 5th UCAS option will be Pharmacology.
would my planned work experience suffice as a good show of my dedication in becoming a medic?

Any advice or work experience suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Djent
Hey everyone

I've just started year 12 and I will be apply for Medicine next year. This summer I did 2 weeks work experience at my local Lloyds Pharmacy (I was unable to get any hospital based work experience in the summer), during the coming October half-term I will be doing a weeks work experience at my local GP surgery.
In november I will be doing two week work experience at my local hospital and next year I am planning to attend the UCL hospital summer school week which involves work experience and medicine based seminars etc.
I also plan to do a months work experience next summer at a nursing home possibly and during the course of year 13 I will be volunteering once a week at my local hospital. (I have already contacted my hospital and they are ready to take me at any time)

2. GP surgery (1 week)

I am hoping to apply to Imperial, UCL, Kings College London and Queen Mary. I somewhat chose to do some work experience at a pharmacy since my 5th UCAS option will be Pharmacology.
would my planned work experience suffice as a good show of my dedication in becoming a medic?

Thank you

That's more than enough. In fact, I would be surprised if you managed to talk about all of that in your PS!
Original post by Djent
Hey everyone

2. GP surgery (1 week)

Thank you

Wow that is a lot. I'm applying next year too and I'm year 13 (Taking a gap year) and I have just done Gp work, hospice, charity shop and caring home for cancer patients.
As long as you find enough to talk about on your PS and your interview, you're all good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending