The Student Room Group

Why do CGP have such a bad rep at A-level?

I'm doing OCR Biology and I used the OCR endorsed textbook at first, I found it ok but then I looked at a CGP textbook and I seemed to learn a lot more from that, is it just me?
Reply 1
Original post by arkanm
IMO, the main differences between CGP at GCSE and A level are these:

1) At GCSE reading a CGP revision guide the night before an exam without doing anymore revision will get you an A*. (ok not in all cases exactly, but you get my drift)

2) At a level the CGP explanations and example questions usually don't go deep enough to get you an A*, so you have to use it alongside a proper textbook.

Definitely agree with the first point. In both my biology and chemistry exams I did this and got an A*. With my physics exam I was 2 marks off an A* because I only read half of it.:biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by shuheb789
I'm doing OCR Biology and I used the OCR endorsed textbook at first, I found it ok but then I looked at a CGP textbook and I seemed to learn a lot more from that, is it just me?

It's not just at a-level, in my opinion they always sucked. All they ever had in were the bare essentials and what's the point in learning something if you're not going to do it properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I think they are great to use along side more in depth text books, but maybe not quite enough to get the best grade on their own. I like to use them to explain the basics of anything I don't understand.
OP, I found the CGP guide for AQA biology very very good :dontknow:

Original post by arkanm
IMO, the main differences between CGP at GCSE and A level are these:

1) At GCSE reading a CGP revision guide the night before an exam without doing anymore revision will get you an A*. (ok not in all cases exactly, but you get my drift)

2) At a level the CGP explanations and example questions usually don't go deep enough to get you an A*, so you have to use it alongside a proper textbook.

Reading stuff like this makes me feel crap, because I revised hard for two months before my GCSEs :frown: Wish I had a good memory ...
Reply 5
CGP books are really good at setting out what you need to know for the exam as they tick every single spec point even for A-Levels.

All I did was memorize Biology OCR, Chemistry A OCR, Physics A OCR CGP books for both unit 1 and 2s and did the past papers and ended up with AAB respectively..

edit. talking about the revision guides..
(edited 10 years ago)
They're good for sciences, and really bad for anything else such as English, law etc
Reply 7
It's pretty basic in terms of content - they don't go into enough depth you would need at A level compared to GCSE.
Reply 8
For maths, I think they're a great alternative to the textbooks, but only the full, individual module ones.
Otherwise, I think CGP is too brief, so you only get half the information.
Worked fine for GCSE, but at A level? Not too much help. Nice for covering the basics, but otherwise not so much.
At AS level I revised almost exclusively from CGP and past papers for physics/chemistry and I came out with 2 As.
For AS physics, I found them really useful to get my basic understanding sorted, since I didn't pick it up as fast as the rest of my class, but then I revised with practice papers and the official textbook. CGP only gets you so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest