The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There isn't one, really. Natsci is such a huge subject that all colleges have a large number of places and a large number of applicants. There isn't one (to my knowledge) that stands out in reputatation terms - just have a look and decide where you like best.
I find it really sad that people base their college decision on how 'easy' it is to get into. Why sacrifice what you like?
Reply 3
Please remember that everyone is very sick of these types of questions....there is no "easiest" college to get in to...they all have very similar standards (if not the same). Your choice of college does little to influence your chance of getting in. You will do much better to apply to somewhere you'll be happy living, rather than trying to influence your chances.

But just to keep you happy, the statistics suggest to me that Homerton is your best bet for natural sciences.

And 10 quid says you wont apply there anyway!
Lucaz, I'll give you a fiver to apply to Homerton. Now Willa, shall we make that bet? :wink: .
Reply 5
By all means, use statistics as a deciding factor if you're stuck between two colleges and that's the only difference (Clare was less popular than Jesus/Emma when I applied, which is why I finally picked there, though it's changed now). But don't JUST pick somewhere because it's "easy."
lucaz
what is the easiet college to get into for natsci. Thanks (btw i have already done my A-level if that helps AAAA in Chem, Bio, Physics, Maths)

I know grades aren't everything, but as you're sitting with 4As I think you're in quite a good position to pick a college that you actually like, rather than one you feel would be easy to get into.
Reply 7
I agree; apply for the college that you like the most. The fact that you have good grades already is only going to help. But trying to play the system by, say, finding the college with the lowest applicant to place ratio is unlikely to work very well. Actually, making an open application would probably be the best way to go if you were worried about applying to a particularly popular college. Overall, though, you need to make sure you're applying to a college that you like, primarily.
Reply 8
Is it true that the further the college is from the town centre, the easier it is to get in there? (e.g. far away- Homerton, close - Sydney Sussex or Trinity)

thanks
Reply 9
It might have less applicants, but that doesn't make it easier. If you are good enough at a more popular college they will pool you. If you aren't good enough at a less popular college they still won't execept you, even if they have places to spare.
Reply 10
I don't think it necessarily works like that at alll. Churchill is one of the colleges that is pretty far from the town centre and they have never taken anyone with less than 9A*s at GCSE to do law and regularly give 4A offers. So I think it's safe to say that just because a college is far out, even if it does mean fewer people apply to begin with, it's not an "easy" option at all because they will just take people who get pooled.
Reply 11
That stuff about Churchill is crap, for a start GCSE A*s have not been around for huge amounts of time. And also Law is a very competitive subject anyway and is difficult to get in for at any college.

Although there is a correlation between the distance from the centre and the level of applicants to places there are many other correlations - the older colleges get more applicants, the richer the college the more applications. However this does not tell you anything about the quality of candidates and also colleges which have a lot of applicants will try and pool some of them to colleges with less applicants. Its not uncommon for a college not to take many if any of the direct applicants in favour for those who applied elsewhere

In short, apply where you want
Juneau
they have never taken anyone with less than 9A*s at GCSE to do law and regularly give 4A offers.

it's incredible and probably very poor form that they advertise this. I wonder how many people actually apply with less than 9A*s anymore.
Reply 13
notyourpunk
That stuff about Churchill is crap, for a start GCSE A*s have not been around for huge amounts of time. And also Law is a very competitive subject anyway and is difficult to get in for at any college.

What do you mean by crap? If you are suggesting it's untrue...

http://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduates/courses/law/

I think having it the website is bad in one respect i.e. it could put people off applying. However in another respect atleast they are honest when they give an indication of what sort of exam performance they look for. You can definitely look at it two ways. Churchill seem to know what they're doing though; "e have finished among the top three Cambridge colleges in Law during the past five years taken as a whole, and we have finished #1 in two of those years".

I'm not anyway connected to churchill, I'm just trying to disprove the theory that it's easier to get into colleges out of the centre /shrug
Reply 14
I don't like the sound of Churchill now.... No one less than 9A*'s!! And say for A-level subjects. They seem to, for law at least, fly in the face of most other Cambridge entry guidelines!
Hah.. I only have 8 GCSEs to begin with. Glad I didn't apply for Law or that college.
Reply 16
Extra-wide doorways ensure easy access to all Cambridge colleges.
yorkshirelass
Hah.. I only have 8 GCSEs to begin with. Glad I didn't apply for Law or that college.

Did you get in?

P.S. Churchill's policy is crazy.
Reply 18
If your thinking of applying, don't play the numbers game!

They are likely to ask you why you choose the college... so pick one you actually like the look of.

If they think you are good enough but dont have the space they will give you to another college anyway so you should get in if your good enough.

Latest

Trending

Trending