The Student Room Group

Dropping out of Oxford?

Okay basically I'm in a bit of a pickle, seems stupid posting on here for advice, but it seems like a good way of finding people who are or have been in the same situation in the past.

So I'm just over half way through my first term at Oxford uni, I'm studying Chemistry and I'm really not enjoying it. I don't feel like I'm the right sort of person to be here, I can't cope with just working all day every day (obviously do have some breaks but this is what it feels like), it's driving me crazy being sat at my desk spending hours trying to do work that I don't understand. I've been to all my lectures, but it's got to the point where I don't actually understand them any more, I don't understand any of the suggested books either because they're all degree level and I just can't get my head around them, they seem to explain everything in such a confusing way. I also don't enjoy the tutorials, they make me very anxious and I feel like I'm constantly being humiliated as everyone else seems so much better! The other people on my course seem to be loving it, and understand the work, but I feel like I'm doing it just to get it done, and not enjoying it at all. I rely on others to explain everything to me, and when I say everything I mean literally everything, and I feel absolutely stupid compared to my peers. I don't have time to go over lecture notes or look for explanations online, because I have so much work to do, so it seems like I have no control over my work and what's going on etc

Also, I'm the kind of person who likes going out and socializing, and I just reaaaally wanted a normal uni experience, but every time I try going out whether its to a club in the evening or literally just to have coffee with someone I get really panicky and feel guilty for not working. I know uni's mainly about getting an excellent degree, but I also want to have fun and do lots of extra curriculars and develop as a person, but instead I'm relying on phone calls with my parents and the thought of leaving and going somewhere more normal to get me through the days. I feel like theres no work life balance here, I don't have fun and quite frankly it's making me depressed which is sucking all the motivation out of me, and makes the thought of work even more unbearable! I'm really not enjoying the Chemistry because I'm just constantly confused, with no time to enjoy my work and learning new things, because I just have to rush through it and get it in for a deadline.

I know its still early and obviously I wouldn't make any decisions yet, but I'll have to reapply soon for other unis next year so I'm just hoping there might be people who've been in similar situations who either have or haven't dropped out of any uni that could shed some light on the matter, The only things stopping me from literally running home now are the fact that I wouldn't have anything to do for a year and I've made a really good friend here who's also struggling and would probably be worse without me. I just can't bare the thought of being miserable like this for the next few years, I've cried pretty much every day since I got here, and I just really want to go home!

People have said it just gets worse, especially for chemistry (1 in 20 people drop out so that says a lot), I just want to enjoy my subject and my time at uni and meet new people like me (of who I've found very few) and be able to take it at a reasonable pace. I don't want it to sound like I'm being lazy and cant be bothered, but it's just so much. I am a very hard worker but this is just ridiculous compared to what I thought it was going to be. Obviously I'm very aware of the excellent opportunities that Oxford would give me, and I'm very grateful for my place here, but is an Oxford degree really the be all and end all?

If anyone has any suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hatz88
Okay basically I'm in a bit of a pickle, seems stupid posting on here for advice, but it seems like a good way of finding people who are or have been in the same situation in the past.

So I'm just over half way through my first term at Oxford uni, I'm studying Chemistry and I'm really not enjoying it. I don't feel like I'm the right sort of person to be here, I can't cope with just working all day every day (obviously do have some breaks but this is what it feels like), it's driving me crazy being sat at my desk spending hours trying to do work that I don't understand. I've been to all my lectures, but it's got to the point where I don't actually understand them any more, I don't understand any of the suggested books either because they're all degree level and I just can't get my head around them, they seem to explain everything in such a confusing way. I also don't enjoy the tutorials, they make me very anxious and I feel like I'm constantly being humiliated as everyone else seems so much better! The other people on my course seem to be loving it, and understand the work, but I feel like I'm doing it just to get it done, and not enjoying it at all. I rely on others to explain everything to me, and when I say everything I mean literally everything, and I feel absolutely stupid compared to my peers. I don't have time to go over lecture notes or look for explanations online, because I have so much work to do, so it seems like I have no control over my work and what's going on etc

Also, I'm the kind of person who likes going out and socializing, and I just reaaaally wanted a normal uni experience, but every time I try going out whether its to a club in the evening or literally just to have coffee with someone I get really panicky and feel guilty for not working. I know uni's mainly about getting an excellent degree, but I also want to have fun and do lots of extra curriculars and develop as a person, but instead I'm relying on phone calls with my parents and the thought of leaving and going somewhere more normal to get me through the days. I feel like theres no work life balance here, I don't have fun and quite frankly it's making me depressed which is sucking all the motivation out of me, and makes the thought of work even more unbearable! I'm really not enjoying the Chemistry because I'm just constantly confused, with no time to enjoy my work and learning new things, because I just have to rush through it and get it in for a deadline.

I know its still early and obviously I wouldn't make any decisions yet, but I'll have to reapply soon for other unis next year so I'm just hoping there might be people who've been in similar situations who either have or haven't dropped out of any uni that could shed some light on the matter, The only things stopping me from literally running home now are the fact that I wouldn't have anything to do for a year and I've made a really good friend here who's also struggling and would probably be worse without me. I just can't bare the thought of being miserable like this for the next few years, I've cried pretty much every day since I got here, and I just really want to go home!

People have said it just gets worse, especially for chemistry (1 in 20 people drop out so that says a lot), I just want to enjoy my subject and my time at uni and meet new people like me (of who I've found very few) and be able to take it at a reasonable pace. I don't want it to sound like I'm being lazy and cant be bothered, but it's just so much. I am a very hard worker but this is just ridiculous compared to what I thought it was going to be. Obviously I'm very aware of the excellent opportunities that Oxford would give me, and I'm very grateful for my place here, but is an Oxford degree really the be all and end all?

Obviously we can't tell you what to do, but if I was you I'd look into other degrees at Oxford that I might be more suited to and see if you can transfer?

I know you want to leave (and if that's what you've decided then go for it) but if it was me, I'd definitely wait out the three years as long as I had the course I wanted
Im really young compared to you but I think you should wait it out. Just getting into oxford and in a popular subject like chemistry is a privilege. You should feel so lucky, and you obviously have done something right! Maybe talk to an advisor or tutor and catch up during the holidays! Good luck!
Ps. U probably aren't the only one! Just keep your head up! :smile: x
Posted from TSR Mobile
Interesting read.

OP I would look at it like this.

-How hard did you work to get into Oxford?

Was it your dream uni, or did you only want to go there in terms of prestige and job opportunities?

-Is your desired course Chemistry?

Would you prefer another subject instead of it, or is Chemistry second nature to you.

If I were you, I would slog it out till Christmas break and then figure out what to do. Do not base your decision around peers. I am telling you this as a person giving genuine advice that very few people who are given the opportunity due to hard work and determination, only to pass it up because the work gets tougher and because of lack of social life.

I would try and put my head down and make the work interesting in any way you can and figure out what you want to do after that.

You can always make up for lack of social life, when you have a cushy job with a fantastic degree. You obvioulsy have the intelligence and determination to get into Oxford, so there is no reason why because you feel you can't understand the work you can't get the work if that makes sense.

Anyway best of luck to you, I hope you sort this out.
Reply 4
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Interesting read.

OP I would look at it like this.

-How hard did you work to get into Oxford?

Was it your dream uni, or did you only want to go there in terms of prestige and job opportunities?

-Is your desired course Chemistry?

Would you prefer another subject instead of it, or is Chemistry second nature to you.

If I were you, I would slog it out till Christmas break and then figure out what to do. Do not base your decision around peers. I am telling you this as a person giving genuine advice that very few people who are given the opportunity due to hard work and determination, only to pass it up because the work gets tougher and because of lack of social life.

I would try and put my head down and make the work interesting in any way you can and figure out what you want to do after that.

You can always make up for lack of social life, when you have a cushy job with a fantastic degree. You obvioulsy have the intelligence and determination to get into Oxford, so there is no reason why because you feel you can't understand the work you can't get the work if that makes sense.

Anyway best of luck to you, I hope you sort this out.

I got 4A*s so I just applied thinking that's what you're meant to do with good grades. I don't even know if it's Chemistry that's the problem. I don't know if I want to do Chemistry, and to be honest I didn't know when I applied, just kind of picked the subject that I disliked the least at school. I didn't work that hard for A levels, not like some people here that worked incredibly hard because they knew they wanted to come here. I came to the open days but that was about it really. I just really really really wish I hadn't got in.
Reply 5
No point asking on here because everyone will just tell you to stick it out because it's OXFORD. It really sound's like it isn't for you, it doesn't make you a lesser person to drop out and go elsewhere. Think if you dropped out, went Sheffield or something, passed, got a decent job, in 10 years not you and nobody else would give a crap that you dropped out of Oxford. Better to drop out before you fail because failing looks bad on your record.
Original post by anna48
I got 4A*s so I just applied thinking that's what you're meant to do with good grades. I don't even know if it's Chemistry that's the problem. I don't know if I want to do Chemistry, and to be honest I didn't know when I applied, just kind of picked the subject that I disliked the least at school. I didn't work that hard for A levels, not like some people here that worked incredibly hard because they knew they wanted to come here. I came to the open days but that was about it really. I just really really really wish I hadn't got in.

Firstly are you the OP, or did your name change?

I can see your viewpoint. If you are not enjoying Chem then I would do this. Drop out of Oxford but make contingency plans before you dropout such as getting work experience in relevant field and find out what you want to do. Your grades are great so you could probably apply to a lot of things. And I guess you are naturally bright then.

But yeah best of luck. Try talking to your family and see what they say. They probably know you better then anyone and will probably give you the best advice.

I hope you sort it all out and DM me anytime if you need.

EDIT - If you're heart's not in it, then you won't do as well imo. So I would find out what you want to do before you dropout because if you dropout and then don't have anything planned/don't know what you want to do - then you will be in a sticky situation.
(edited 10 years ago)
In my opinion, it's far better to be happy at a 'less prestigious' university than to be miserable at a university like Oxford. If you decide you'd like to continue with Chemistry at another university, you're still doing a great degree with great prospects. Don't let people on here brainwash you by reminding you you're at Oxford. Do what YOU think is best and what YOU think will make you happy :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hatz88

Despite what everyone else is saying, its obvious that you're not enjoying yourself so the best option is to probably leave since you clearly don't like it.

And you know, the uni experience is important

I don't think Oxford is for everyone, but people feel as if its where they have to go if they're intelligent.

Apply but don't leave yet. Wait until Christmas at least i'd say.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
You are only in your first term! - trust me its mad adjusting to uni for everyone and I sympathise over the oxford workload.

This experience will break you and then make you. It will get easier.

You can go into investment banking investing in life sciences or government (Angela Merkel has a Ph.D. in Quantum chemistry!)

The Oxford brand carries itself all over the world and so never lose that!
Hi, I'm an Oxford fresher too, which college are you at? Do you have college parents you could talk to? If you really are thinking about applying somewhere else for next year you've got nothing to lose by applying and then choosing to stay at Oxford.

Go out, have fun, take a break and then work hard the day or two before the deadline get your assignment done just well enough to hand in. I wouldn't suggest it every week but you need to have a break once in a while.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat.
Reply 11
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Firstly are you the OP, or did your name change?

I can see your viewpoint. If you are not enjoying Chem then I would do this. Drop out of Oxford but make contingency plans before you dropout such as getting work experience in relevant field and find out what you want to do. Your grades are great so you could probably apply to a lot of things. And I guess you are naturally bright then.

But yeah best of luck. Try talking to your family and see what they say. They probably know you better then anyone and will probably give you the best advice.

I hope you sort it all out and DM me anytime if you need.

EDIT - If you're heart's not in it, then you won't do as well imo. So I would find out what you want to do before you dropout because if you dropout and then don't have anything planned/don't know what you want to do - then you will be in a sticky situation.

AHA, yeah sorry, used a different laptop and my sister was signed in, apologies.
I don't even care about the brand name of Oxford any more, I know I'll get whatever I want out of life anyway wherever I go, so it just makes sense to be happy at university instead of being miserable and sticking it out - not going to flourish if I'm miserable!
Reply 12
Also just to add, I wouldn't be dropping out with no idea what to do,

I found a natural sciences course at Nottingham which is A*AA so its not like I'd be throwing away my good grades, and you can choose from a variety of pathways. One is Maths, Geography and Chemistry which are the 3 subjects I couldn't decide between to apply for, so I figured if I got there and realised I really did just like chemistry I could switch when there, and if not, you have to drop one subject after the first year, so I could always get rid of it altogether. Seems like a win win situation to me as I'm so confused subject wise
Original post by hatz88

I found a natural sciences course at Nottingham which is A*AA so its not like I'd be throwing away my good grades, and you can choose from a variety of pathways. One is Maths, Geography and Chemistry which are the 3 subjects I couldn't decide between to apply for, so I figured if I got there and realised I really did just like chemistry I could switch when there, and if not, you have to drop one subject after the first year, so I could always get rid of it altogether. Seems like a win win situation to me as I'm so confused subject wise

This seems like a very good idea in your situation. I would find out which pathway you want to do and drop out then.
Original post by hatz88

As long as you aren't going in with your eyes closed :tongue:
Good luck with everything.
Reply 15
Consider applying to universities in America perhaps? In places like Stanford, the workload is sort of 'deferred' and you do not kill yourself with study 24/7 (social life balance), it also is at least a top 5 university in the world.
Reply 16
No matter how little you are enjoying it, it is too early to say. You should continue on at the very least until Christmas.
Original post by hatz88

Hi, as an Oxford graduate I can tell definitely there's the name, reputation, brand etc. but there are more important things in life. You don't have to have an Oxford degree to get a good job and have a successful career. Furthermore, if you are really struggling there, you would probably end up with a higher class degree at another university, doing a course you enjoy.

I can definitely understand all the advice telling you should concentrate and work harder, and not leave the opportunity of studying at Oxford. I would have though it's crazy to drop out of Oxford if I was asked this question when I was doing my A-levels. Getting in there was all I could think of, but then you start seeing the wider picture.

Of course I wouldn't suggest you leave right now. You just shouldn't be afraid of dropping out of the course. You can do some research about your alternatives, then apply to other courses. There's no harm in applying even if you want to stay when the end of the year comes. If you decide on leaving, you can make a fresh start next year
Reply 18
Original post by hatz88

most of the people saying you should go to a different uni are people not at oxford! you should be getting advice from other people at oxford, maybe in second year doing chemistry or something. i'm at cambridge (second year) and i did chemistry (as part of natural sciences) last year. the workload was ridiculous but i personally would advise you to stick with it. i've found that making sure you just look through the days lectures every evening, highlighting stuff and seeing if there is anything that you dont understand and need to ask your supervisor about, really helps. also i wouldnt stress out about doing extra reading, it really isnt needed unless you want a first, and even then you could just leave it until the holidays to do some. just do supervision/tutorial work asap after being set it so you wont be stressing all the time as well. at least dont drop out until the end of the first term and a few weeks into the hols, as you can see whether you are starting to get to grips with the work and catching up with everything. it's easier to drop out later when youre sure its not for you, than to regret dropping out now and change your mind!
(edited 10 years ago)
My flatmate was also in the same position as you last year - he got in, struggled with the workload and dropped out before the term ended (doing chemistry). He's at bristol now and he's really enjoying himself :smile: Oxford is great and all, but it's not the end of the world. It's not for everybody. If you're not enjoying yourself or what you're doing what's the point? And like you said you wanted a life, you can get an amazing degree elsewhere without having to compromise your social life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending