The Student Room Group

A level, i need help

Geography
Maths
Photography
Product Design
Extended Project

-IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION ABOUT ANY OF THOSE A LEVELS, WORK LOAD, ABILITY LEVEL, IF THEY ARE HARD OR EASY, REWARDING, ETC THEN PLEASE REPLY-

ALSO:

Do those sound okay for A levels? I am hoping to study architecture at university for the RIBA part 1 after.

I don't like physics, and am not particularly good at it to be honest.

Do these choices still seem okay, without the physics?

Reply 1
In terms of work load/ hardness:
Product design) Sooooooo much coursework - very time consuming, but if you put the effort in then it's quite easy to get high marks in the coursework, which makes up most of the course.
Maths) AS level core maths is ok, but a lot of practice is needed. For the applied modules, mechanics is hell if you don't do physics, but stats is ok. At A2 core maths is a BIG step up, but again practice helps alot (I hope it does anyway :wink: )
For architecture at unis - I'd check out about the physics with some unis by ringing them up or emailing to see if it's needed or advised (just to be sure). Otherwise, as long as you like the subjects that you take then they seem fine.
Good Luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by loveslinus
In terms of work load/ hardness:
Product design) Sooooooo much coursework - very time consuming, but if you put the effort in then it's quite easy to get high marks in the coursework, which makes up most of the course.
Maths) AS level core maths is ok, but a lot of practice is needed. For the applied modules, mechanics is hell if you don't do physics, but stats is ok. At A2 core maths is a BIG step up, but again practice helps alot (I hope it does anyway :wink: )
For architecture at unis - I'd check out about the physics with some unis by ringing them up or emailing to see if it's needed or advised (just to be sure). Otherwise, as long as you like the subjects that you take then they seem fine.
Good Luck :smile:

I am considering not doing maths anymore, i know it is recommended, but i am considering swapping it for ICT, i really do not enjoy maths, and i tend to do much better with subjects i enjoy.

Do you think geography, resistant materials, graphic design and ict would still be okay?:smile:

thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by _sophieann

Do you think geography, resistant materials, graphic design and ict would still be okay?

I don't really know to be honest. The only way to find out is to contact unis and see what they say. Sorry for the dull advice :wink:
Extended Project... I currently have no time for it at all. I am making an animation for my artefact (I do English Lit and I couldn't stand the idea of another essay!) and it's really time-consuming. It isn't really challenging, it's just the amount of time and level of planning you have to put into it.
Rewarding... yes. Once it's over it's brilliant. You need to do about 3-4 hours work a week for it apparently, but bear in mind part of the marks go to time planning and organisation.

Quick Reply

Latest