The Student Room Group

Does slim fast work?

I did it for about a week last year and because of my lack of commitment I didn't notice any difference. But I've started the drinks today and basically want to know whether to plough through or stop buying them and just finish what I have?

Has anyone had any experience using Slim fast and have they noticed changes? I know it won't work miraculously in a few days I don't have unrealistic expectations.:biggrin:
It does work if you stick to it, but it's painful and if you were going to do something that low calorie, you could get a pretty decent amount of healthy food for the 225 calories in one shake. It'd taste better too!
Reply 2
It's pretty bad, i just eat junk food 24/7 because i cannot control my cravings.
I heard cutting bread is a major aid in weight loss

Original post by infairverona
It does work if you stick to it, but it's painful and if you were going to do something that low calorie, you could get a pretty decent amount of healthy food for the 225 calories in one shake. It'd taste better too!

I know i'm starving but i have to admit the ready made shake's taste pretty good (vanilla and the latte one) but they're not filling at all.
Reply 3
Original post by aleshapatel
I did it for about a week last year and because of my lack of commitment I didn't notice any difference. But I've started the drinks today and basically want to know whether to plough through or stop buying them and just finish what I have?

Has anyone had any experience using Slim fast and have they noticed changes? I know it won't work miraculously in a few days I don't have unrealistic expectations.:biggrin:

I think vegetables are better than slimfast
It's pretty bad, i just eat junk food 24/7 because i cannot control my cravings.
I heard cutting bread is a major aid in weight loss

I know i'm starving but i have to admit the ready made shake's taste pretty good (vanilla and the latte one) but they're not filling at all.

Yeah honestly you'd be more full eating 200 calories of protein like chicken or something
Reply 5
Drink some green tea, it controls your cravings. Cut your calories by about 500 and do some cardio.
Ugh, myths galore in this thread...

If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight, those are the facts. So to an extent, lowering the sugar and bread in your diet may help, but that's only because they're high in calories.
As for Slim Fast... if you're using it as a meal replacement, then fine. But if you're just adding it on top of a junk diet, you're doing more harm than good because all you're doing is just adding more calories into your diet.

The only way forward is a low calorie diet and exercise to make sure you keep burning calories. Do that and the weight will drop off.

As for exercise - when doing cardio, an intense 30 minute session why burn calories far more effectively than a 2 hour light jog.
Reply 7
Original post by 2ndClass
Drink some green tea, it controls your cravings. Cut your calories by about 500 and do some cardio.

Lol, green teas overrated. It's got no fibre, vegetables better
Reply 8
I'm going to google that because i havent got a clue what that is.

Original post by Truefaith21
I think vegetables are better than slimfast

They are but they get so boring, although i'm not one to shy away from veggies

Original post by WoodyMKC
Ugh, myths galore in this thread...

If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight, those are the facts. So to an extent, lowering the sugar and bread in your diet may help, but that's only because they're high in calories.
As for Slim Fast... if you're using it as a meal replacement, then fine. But if you're just adding it on top of a junk diet, you're doing more harm than good because all you're doing is just adding more calories into your diet.

The only way forward is a low calorie diet and exercise to make sure you keep burning calories. Do that and the weight will drop off.

As for exercise - when doing cardio, an intense 30 minute session why burn calories far more effectively than a 2 hour light jog.

No i'm definitely using it as a meal replacement, I think only someone with no brain cells would have them on top of normal food intake. I'm doing cardio, I did 45minute runs in the morning but then it got dark and the park is scary, so i'm finding alternatives.
I think only someone with no brain cells would have them on top of normal food intake.

You'd be surprised at how many people think they generally burn off fat :lol:

Just keep up the exercise then, keep watching your caloric intake and you should see results :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by WoodyMKC
You'd be surprised at how many people think they generally burn off fat :lol:

Just keep up the exercise then, keep watching your caloric intake and you should see results :smile:

Omg, imagine. They'd be piling on the pounds. Do they not know the meaning of replacement? Tbh I can imagine it happening, some people are so thick
I think only someone with no brain cells would have them on top of normal food intake.

Joey Essex or Helen Flanagan might do that. They're the only two people I could see making that mistake :tongue:

My mum did Slim Fast for a month or so last year - had a shake for breakfast and lunch, snacked on fruit and had a 500 calorie meal for dinner and did some cardio after work. It was the most effective weight loss thing she's ever done, the weight fell off of her. She's done weightwatchers and all of those kinds of things and this was the one that worked best :smile:
Reply 12
I've never tried it but my mum has and she lost just over a stone in 6 weeks on it. One of my friends did Celebrity Slim which is similar and lost quite a bit of weight on it.
No, calorie counting will. If you have a lack of commitment then you need to rethink your goals because weight loss goes far beyond a mere diet.
try it
Reply 15
Omg, imagine. They'd be piling on the pounds. Do they not know the meaning of replacement? Tbh I can imagine it happening, some people are so thick

My friend in high school did it like this! :biggrin: did you follow this through then? Does it work if you keep at it???

Quick Reply

Latest